The Dark Knight Rises ***USE SPOILER TAGS***

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Dark Knight Rises

You can pretend to kill Batman (he has never died) in comics because you have a new issue coming out every other week. It sells books. You can't do that in a film to sell someone a ticket for a reboot 3 years down the road. They want people in seats.

First showing is out and people come out saying WTF they killed Batman! Do you really think people are going to say awesome lets go see Batman die or I just saw Batman die lets go watch it again? Or better yet I can't wait for the reboot 3 years from now with none of these players involved. The reactions will be more along the lines of ____ this ____! ____ Nolan! I'm not watching that ____! Who the ____ does Nolan think he is! Nolan can lick my balls! Nolan raped my childhood! Why would Nolan do that! Nolan is an _______! This movie and everyone involved can suck a nut!

If Nolan DOES kill batman, you can bet your ass he will do so in a manner that will make him a martyr. So word of mouth could go the other way as well if the death is done in a epic way, which is the only way it would make sense to do it.

Does it make sense from a logical point of view? No. Perhaps

Does it make sense in the story arc? No Don't see why not

Does it make sense with Nolan's approach to this series? No A key element of his approach has been to add a sense of realism, where is the realism if you go in to a film about someone who is essentially a wildly driven, violent, possibly crazy billionaire, knowing that he's going to win/save the day/avoid dying in the end? There's no sense of danger left. I think with Bane what Nolan wants is to introduce a very real sense of physical danger to Batman, to the point where he could actually die. Whether or not that happens who knows but the point is I think Nolan at least wants the audience to go into this with sense of doubt over whether Batman will come out alive or not

Does it make business sense? No Why not? I don't see how the film's box office will be impacted. Plus humans tend to have a fascination with death, I could equally argue that it DOES make business sense, but i think it will be neautral

Does it make sense with the title of the film? No Like i've said before, it IS compatible with the title if you think of it metaphorically

I think your bass ackwards on all your assessments but I'll comment on the one about the title since we haven't breached that nugget yet. How, and what metaphor, taking into consideration Nolan's approach to this series, can you relate The Dark Knight Rises to Batman dying outside of Batman being Jesus?

I think your bass ackwards on all your assessments but I'll comment on the one about the title since we haven't breached that nugget yet. How, and what metaphor, taking into consideration Nolan's approach to this series, can you relate The Dark Knight Rises to Batman dying outside of Batman being Jesus?

Aside from Batjesus (if you insist on calling it that)

It could be a reference to Dent's line 'the night is darkest just before the dawn'

The Dark Knight Rises could simply mean that the night lifts like a fog and Gotham sees the light once again/is saved/peace returns etc etc

PS what is bass ackwards? :lol

Aside from Batjesus (if you insist on calling it that)

It could be a reference to Dent's line 'the night is darkest just before the dawn'

The Dark Knight Rises could simply mean that the night lifts like a fog and Gotham sees the light once again/is saved/peace returns etc etc

PS what is bass ackwards? :lol

But how does that indicate Batman dying?

Bass ackwards is Ass Backwards backwards. :lol

:rotfl

And it in itself doesn't indicate Batman dying - i'm just saying Batman could die in an act of martyrdom, which saves Gotham and hence The Dark Knight Rises in the metaphoric context I'm talking about

Gotcha. I'm talking specifically the title, without adding an entire backstory to it though. :lol

moderator-kitteh-lolcat.jpg

:lol

If Nolan DOES kill batman, you can bet your ass he will do so in a manner that will make him a martyr. So word of mouth could go the other way as well if the death is done in a epic way, which is the only way it would make sense to do it.

I can see Nolan "killing" Batman (as a character) much the same as Bane did/didn't do in Knightfall. But as we all know, Bruce rehabilitated himself and put the cowl on again. More directly, I can see Nolan "breaking the bat" for the cheese factor. Actually killing Batman, no. A great director (which I don't think he is) is only as "great" when a studio is backing him with blank checks. The backlash from Nolan killing Batman would hit Warner Bros like a punch in the nuts, which would, in turn, affect Nolan's career. Don't think for a second that both parties don't already know this. He won't kill Batman.

I can see Nolan "killing" Batman (as a character) much the same as Bane did/didn't do in Knightfall. But as we all know, Bruce rehabilitated himself and put the cowl on again. More directly, I can see Nolan "breaking the bat" for the cheese factor. Actually killing Batman, no. A great director (which I don't think he is) is only as "great" when a studio is backing him with blank checks. The backlash from Nolan killing Batman would hit Warner Bros like a punch in the nuts, which would, in turn, affect Nolan's career. Don't think for a second that both parties don't already know this. He won't kill Batman.

I was reading this and thinking 'damn nam is really holding back here'

Then I read about the punch in the nuts :rotfl

Sorry guys, I didn't read all the post before saying this... so, if you already have this conversetion (for sure you alrady have one similar, hahha) sorry!

Some people are afraid of Bats dying or getting his back broken.. Well, all this is part of the promotion of the film.. with Bane in it the idea of Bats being broken/killed is something "real" something that can happen, but if that really happen.... is another history.
I really doubt it, DC and Warner WON'T LET that happen (for logical sense) and most important, YOU CAN'T kill Batman or let him broke at the end of his journey when he is supposed to "rise". If Nolan do that, for me will be the same feeling of spider man 3.... this movie will ruin the other 2, will destroy the idea of the character... and besides, one thing is Batman at the comics and other at the celluloid, give him an end similiar to Knightfall won't work well....

Literal...

The Dark Knight Rises = Batman is down and gets back up
The Dark Knight Rises = Batman gets an erection
The Dark Knight Rises = Batman rises to the occasion
The Dark Knight Rises = Batman rises against the rebellion
The Dark Knight Rises = Batman increases in number
The Dark Knight Rises = Batman is risen from the dead
The Dark Knight Rises = Batman gets a rise out of the audience
The Dark Knight Rises = Batman wakes up
The Dark Knight Rises = Batman ascends the ranks
The Dark Knight Rises = The amount of darkness is increased

Metaphor...

The Dark Knight Rises = The darkness is lifted from Gotham
The Dark Knight Rises = The darkness is lifted from Batman
The Dark Knight Rises = Bruce Wayne fully commits to Batman

Literal...

Metaphor...

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

It was all a dream... Batman wakes up... The Dark Knight Rises. End.

Sorry guys, I didn't read all the post before saying this... so, if you already have this conversetion (for sure you alrady have one similar, hahha) sorry!

Some people are afraid of Bats dying or getting his back broken.. Well, all this is part of the promotion of the film.. with Bane in it the idea of Bats being broken/killed is something "real" something that can happen, but if that really happen.... is another history.
I really doubt it, DC and Warner WON'T LET that happen (for logical sense) and most important, YOU CAN'T kill Batman or let him broke at the end of his journey when he is supposed to "rise". If Nolan do that, for me will be the same feeling of spider man 3.... this movie will ruin the other 2, will destroy the idea of the character... and besides, one thing is Batman at the comics and other at the celluloid, give him an end similiar to Knightfall won't work well....

:yess:
Looking forward to Nolan's Batman & Robin! This movie's getting crapped out of Nolan's ass, into the toilet, then rising to the surface like a floatie! There's your ____ing metaphor folks! :nana:

Literal...

Metaphor...

hhhhahaahahahaha

The backlash from Nolan killing Batman would hit Warner Bros like a punch in the nuts

I was reading this and thinking 'damn nam is really holding back here'

Then I read about the punch in the nuts :rotfl

Literal...

Metaphor...

Pure awesomeness :yess: :clap :yess:

Especially the loz cat....

but the statements ain't too shabby either :lol

all this talk about it being impossible for nolan to kill off batman precludes one simple factor: time.

who says batman has to die IMMEDIATELY following the events of tdkr? it could very well be a coda at the end of nolan's film, set in the future where gotham is safe, clean of crime and corruption, and batman has long since died and thus become a legend that continues to inspire the people. kind of like how departed political/social activist heroes are held up in the highest regard as an example to follow.

personally i don't think nolan would kill off bats, but considering how thomas wayne was held in that same regard, as mentioned by r'as al ghul in begins, i don't think it's too much of a stretch either, thematically. it would be a nice symmetry. father and son, both legends behind different personas, who saved gotham.

also, from a marketing/franchise standpoint, placing batman's death in the future would be a loophole that would still allow more batman adventures/interpretations that could fall in the timeline between the events of tdkr and his death in the future (from old age/falling off his bat-walker/cardiac arrest while boning selina kyle's grand-daughter/etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back