The Dark Knight Rises ***USE SPOILER TAGS***

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Hicks and Newt deserved to die? Why?

They were two of my favorite characters in ALIENS. James Cameron was very upset when Fox told him that two of his characters would quickly be killed off. No...three including Bishop the android. ALIENS is one of my all-time favorite movies.

No...I don't think that ALIEN 3 was a nice bookend to Ripley's story. :monkey4

After Hicks, Newt and Bishop were killed, me and my best friend almost walked out of the theater. I wish we had. I know it was David Fincher's first directing job, and Fox really screwed up production, and more than one script re-write. But overall ALIEN 3 to me was not that good. The poorly produced "dog alien" C.G.I. was just flat out awful. I didn't care about any of the other cast except Ripley. I hated her "buzz cut". I wish the movie had not been made.

In my opinion Ripley's story should have ended with ALIENS. A more upbeat, optimistic ending with her, Newt, Hicks, and Bishop getting away alive after the alien onslaught in ALIENS.

I'm about to meet Michael Biehn who played Hicks, in New Orleans at the end of the month at the Wizard World Comic Con. The LAST thing I would even think of telling him was "Hicks and Newt deserved to die. And I'm glad they did"! :horror

CelticPredator that just about as bad as telling me "I'm glad Luke and Han got killed trying to blow up the Death Star in Star Wars"! :rolleyes2

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I consider ALIENS a true classic in my book. I guess you didn't care much for it if seeing two major characters getting killed off in the beginning of the next movie was something you were "glad" about? :dunno

SparkNotes for those who don't care/don't want to read:

No batman in this post.

Pretty cool fan made pic:
bane___the_dark_knight_rises_by_oniruu-d3r9kex.jpg

Also, shhhhh..... you didn't get this from me :wink1:
https://vimeo.com/34247920

I'm a musician, almost everything is borrowed from somewhere else to some degree.

Very few artists are true originals.

That said, this is eerily similar sounding. Would love to see Zimmer questioned about it, many artists consider this sort of thing to be a homage as opposed to ripping off, but its a fine line :lol

?

No Youtube at work

It's a track from an old Edith Piaf movie, which sounds almost identical to the start of TDK score. And I mean very very like it.

Apparently Nolan is a big Piaf fan which makes matters worse.
I'm actually quite disappointed to hear it, I was very impressed with TDK score. I even bought the crazily priced deluxe CD set.

Well, looks like it wasn't very original after all. Which probably doesn't matter to a lot of fans, to me it does.
:(

I'm a musician, almost everything is borrowed from somewhere else to some degree.

Very few artists are true originals.

That said, this is eerily similar sounding. Would love to see Zimmer questioned about it, many artists consider this sort of thing to be a homage as opposed to ripping off, but its a fine line :lol

Yeah, me too, and I agree, but not this close!

He was questioned about roughly the same thing with Inception and had this to say:

Hans Zimmer said:
Just for the game of it, all the music in the score is subdivisions and multiplications of the tempo of the Édith Piaf track. So I could slip into half-time; I could slip into a third of a time. Anything could go anywhere. At any moment I could drop into a different level of time.

If you want genius, the score for Girl with a Dragon Tattoo is superb. Very edgy and raw. Loved it

Just wish it would've been more epic. Batman deserves better. :tap

I'm pretty confident it will be modified to be more epic sounding in this film. A full blown version if you will.

In Begins it was a tentative sort of version. In TDK only at the very end does the theme reach a fully realized version.

In TDKR by the end it should sound even more fleshed out and epic.

I'm pretty confident it will be modified to be more epic sounding in this film. A full blown version if you will.

In Begins it was a tentative sort of version. In TDK only at the very end does the theme reach a fully realized version.

In TDKR by the end it should sound even more fleshed out and epic.

And to think we got Elfman's at the very beginning of the film, during the credits. :cuckoo: :lol

While there are defnining pieces of music for Batman in the Nolan films, I don't think any of it really feels like a "theme" in the sense of classic themes like JAWS, Star Wars, Indy, '89 Batman. Those themes usually exist as lone tracks that are then interwoven with other pieces to mix up the film's score. I don't think there's ever an instance in the Nolan films where one bit of music is used to such length as to feel like a theme, the Batman theme is more like short bursts of sound. Don't get me wrong, what Zimmer and James Newton Howard have done for Nolan's films work great for them, but in the end, I don't think there'll ever be a standalone piece of music that'll be known as the theme of them. Hell, even the Schumacher films had a theme song to them. Most movies don't have a theme song though, and Nolan's style fits that, I don't think a traditional theme song would really fit with his movies.

While there are defnining pieces of music for Batman in the Nolan films, I don't think any of it really feels like a "theme" in the sense of classic themes like JAWS, Star Wars, Indy, '89 Batman. Those themes usually exist as lone tracks that are then interwoven with other pieces to mix up the film's score. I don't think there's ever an instance in the Nolan films where one bit of music is used to such length as to feel like a theme, the Batman theme is more like short bursts of sound. Don't get me wrong, what Zimmer and James Newton Howard have done for Nolan's films work great for them, but in the end, I don't think there'll ever be a standalone piece of music that'll be known as the theme of them. Hell, even the Schumacher films had a theme song to them. Most movies don't have a theme song though, and Nolan's style fits that, I don't think a traditional theme song would really fit with his movies.

I'm going to watch TDK tonight with the music from 78 Halloween :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back