The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, you really think Kennedy had the smallest iota to do with the writing and creative concepts for the Mandalorian........

See heres the deal, people cant have it both ways.

Blame Rian if they want, but when people throw KK under the bus with him, then flat out refuse to give her credit on something she is clearly a producer for also, shows the true nature of the problem they really have with her.

Hypocritical to the extreme.

Not to mention the fact she has more major successful films under her belt than most producers.

But none of that was her right? It was all someone else, who just happens to be a guy, covering for her.....

Again, cannot have it both ways.

Well you can but its pretty obvious of the agenda then.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Blame Rian if they want, but when people throw KK under the bus with him, then flat out refuse to give her credit on something she is clearly a producer for also, shows the true nature of the problem they really have with her.

Not to mention the fact she has more major successful films under her belt than most producers.

But none of that was her right? It was all someone else, who just happens to be a guy, covering for her.....

Very much agree with this.

xioptec:

Lots of valid points. While Kennedy is head of the SW side, credit where credit due. That said, she needs to go, if for one simple reason: she is way too polarizing. And with this much money at stake, I don't think Disney wants to risk it. At least, I hope that is the case.

As a fan, I'll never forgive her for hiring Ryan Johnson, and what that knucklehead did to Luke. And Ackbar.

f8GMF7g.jpg

:lol

xioptec:

Lots of valid points. While Kennedy is head of the SW side, credit where credit due. That said, she needs to go, if for one simple reason: she is way too polarizing. And with this much money at stake, I don't think Disney wants to risk it. At least, I hope that is the case.

As a fan, I'll never forgive her for hiring Ryan Johnson, and what that knucklehead did to Luke. And Ackbar.

As a fan, I applaud her for hiring Ryan Johnson and what he did to Luke (not Ackbar though), but I guess that?s what you mean by polarizing... that we as fans don?t agree. Being on the side of the discussion that really appreciates what she has done for the franchise, and film in general, I would think it would be a shame to fire her. Trying to please everyone is rarely a recipe for greatness.

She willfully hired Johnson knowing damn well what they were going to do. Favreau and Feige were brought in by Disney suits above her to undo the damage she has done to the franchise and make better Star Wars content. She doesn't deserve an ounce of credit for that. Unfortunately since her title still says she is head of Lucasfilm her name is in the credits.

After this last movie I imagine she will be allowed to resign to save face because "it's time to move on" or she "wants to concentrate on something else".

Yeah, to me the appeal is a bit like what TFA was - a major palette cleanser after something SW that left a very bad taste in my mouth. For TFA that was the PT (TFA was joyous only because I could actually follow the story and it had OT hardware - even if it was all 100% lifted from ANH,) and for Mando it's the ST, and TLJ in particular.

I like seeing something so realistic, what it would be really like to walk the streets of Mos Eisley, which I often imagined as a kid. And so often with minimal to no dialog or exposition, vs the ST's wall-to-wall chatter and yahooing and explaining.

And it's pretty much a deep dive into OT fan service. The sandcrawler sequence was especially cool - almost reminded me of the SNES game from the 90s (which made the Jawa cry especially sinsiter) crossed with the Last Crusade sequence.

That being said, the show almost feels like a fan made film, though in the best way possible - fan movies would jam in all the high-carb SW bits into a short 1/2 hour, like this show does.

The baby Yoda looks too much like a stuffed toy or obvious CGI, and again has that aspect of taking something/someone major from the OT to hijack as your OT crutch. I mean he's already Boba Fett in his weekend armor, I didn't need one of the "big dozen" iconic SW characters to show up in a slightly altered form.

I'm really enjoying the show though - it's like a breath of fresh air and hits everything I would have loved as a kid: a walk through a real SW universe with a cool badass as your guide.

Very well stated observations. I feel much the same with the exception of finding any fault with the little guy. I mean yeah on paper he's exactly what you said but so perfectly realized that he may have instantly dethroned gizmo as my all time favorite "cute little guy" in any live-action entertainment. So true about Mando himself being the ultimate tour guide through the near-OT galaxy of SW.

"Fan service," "cliched," whatever you want to call it but all I know is that this is exactly what I signed up for when I watch a show like this. To me a SW show or movie is more of an adaptation of the universe that got hard-coded into my DNA from the time I was a child. I don't want reinventions, I don't want the entire narrative turned on its head in the interest of subverting expectations, I just want to see and feel the world that I grew up seeing on the big screen, sketchbooks, and my own imaginings. Imaginings that did *not* stray far from the established media.

And Mando so far has given me the perfect balance of familiarity, respect for the legacy, and just enough twists (little guy reveal, ass-kicking jawas, etc.) to keep me on my toes. This is the literal template that I'd love for all "new" SW to follow.

Yup reinventing the wheel not required just expand what we already love with better cgi, action set pieces and character interactions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Got a chance to see the first two episodes today and wow!
I absolutely loved the first episode, it really did feel very Star Wars-y, without being derivative. The second one wasn't so good IMHO, but the whole Jaws sequence was brilliant, so that made up for it. I'm not really sold on the Yodaling though... the fact he/she already masters the Force being a baby is a bit irritating, but I'm willing to give it a pass, 'cause the story is good so far.
The cinematography, the art direction, the action, everything is great so far -except the damn music. I find it almost insultingly bad. I get it if they wanted to move away from the usual Williams pomp and circumstance, but then go and find something fitting. What they came up with is neither here nor there. Odd, it's the second high profile show that I don't like the music (the other being Watchmen).
Anyway, stand-out bits so far: Werner Herzog and the grimy Stormtroopers (damn they looked positively evil and dangerous), the shoot-out and IG-11 (BTW, I thought it was brilliant how they seemed to be setting up a buddy-story, just to have Mando shoot it in the head!), "I have spoken", the entire Jawa sequence (especially the negotiation bit, that was brilliant, just the right amount of humor) and how this seems to be finally meshing PT and OT together (Republic type ship, Geonosis arena beast -at least I think it was).

I'm really happy that Star Wars has finally found a good home in Favreau and Filoni's hands.
I can only hope they continue at this level of quality.

She willfully hired Johnson knowing damn well what they were going to do. Favreau and Feige were brought in by Disney suits above her to undo the damage she has done to the franchise and make better Star Wars content. She doesn't deserve an ounce of credit for that. Unfortunately since her title still says she is head of Lucasfilm her name is in the credits.

After this last movie I imagine she will be allowed to resign to save face because "it's time to move on" or she "wants to concentrate on something else".

Proof for your crazy theory?

IG-11 (BTW, I thought it was brilliant how they seemed to be setting up a buddy-story, just to have Mando shoot it in the head!),

Yep, they got me with that one too. I wasn't expecting the little guy *or* IG to buy it that episode so when the blaster went off I assumed the little guy was toast. Another great example of keeping us on our toes while staying within the confines of the established universe.

As far as I can tell, no one here hates The Mandalorian. There must be some seriously deficient reading comprehension going on.

For the record (since I'm the one who made the "not trained" comparison; and NOT as a complaint about the baby Yoda): I think The Mandalorian has been fine so far. It'll probably get even better considering we're only 1/4 of the way through the season. Again: no complaining, and no hate, from me with respect to this show so far. Just to be clear (hopefully . . . but probably not).

Like I have stated before, go on the Blu-ray.com forum. They just absolutely love the sequel trilogy and will nitpick The Mandalorian to death. There's one idiot on there that said that Chapter II of The Mandalorian went full-on mary sue. Um, uh...…...rey lifting an entire mountain without feeling the least bit tired by it AND not having any real training whatsoever is A-OK but a 50 year old Yoda creature lifting a space rhino for a few seconds and then falling asleep right after because it took a lot out of him isn't? At least The Mandalorian has the courage to slow itself down for the main bad-ass character to show a little compassion for another. He already has way more character development than rey. And he's only been on-screen for under an hour.

Back