The Sideshow Freaks Fitness Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something i've really taken to heart lately

"Are you here to build muscle or lift weight?"

By Jens Ingenohl
‘To get big you have to lift big’ is the prevailing motto in bodybuilding circles when it comes to the best way on how to pack on muscle size. Enter any gym in the country or speak to anyone in the know and the one thing you will hear is that big weights equal big muscles. We read about Mr. Olympia squatting with 700 lbs and benching 500 lbs or how some pro bodybuilder describes his leg training with 1500 lbs leg presses in a magazine article.​
It comes as no surprise that this philosophy of ‘go heavy or go home’ is strongly reflected in people’s training style. Take a good look around your gym. Not considering those gym members who just go through the motions or simply use this place as a means to socialize, everyone who trains seriously can be caught doing the same thing to a more or lesser degree. I am talking about the usage of too much weight with bad form for too few reps.​
Squats are being done with just a quarter range of motion but the bar is loaded with a bunch of 45’s on each side. This might boost your ego but does nothing for your quad development. Barbell curls turn from an excellent biceps and forearm exercise into a test for your lower back strength by swinging back and forth because too much weight has been used again. The ultimate ‘uber-ego’ exercise bench press is being abused to the point that it has become a standard tool to measure one’s maximum strength by doing singles and doubles. Instead of repping out with a moderate weight with good form to tax your pecs trainees try to push the weight up with everything they got… arms, shoulders, some even lift their butt off the bench just to get the weight going. If everything fails it is up to your spotter to save you from getting crushed under the bar. At least he is getting a serious trap and shoulder workout by shrugging the weight up through half of your reps.​
controlledtraining_22.jpg
A case can be made for almost any exercise. People use too much weight, oftentimes way too much weight and compensate by relying on excessive swinging, bad form and bouncing. Their whole focus is on moving the weight up instead of focusing on the muscle they train…or intend to train.​
While there is a certain correlation between strength and size its importance is not as significant that it should determine the way you train. The amount of weight someone uses is totally relative. With enough mental focus and controlled performance you can even make a light weight feel extremely heavy.​
Having said all the above, the first thing anyone should do is ‘CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE GYM DOOR’. You are here to train your muscles and not to boost your ego. Remember, you are a bodybuilder which means your sole purpose is to build your body, your muscles to be precise. You are NOT a weightlifter who just cares about lifting as much weight as possible. There is a distinctive difference between bodybuilders and weightlifters: BODYBUILDERS FOCUS ON THEIR MUSCLES WHILE WORKING OUT WHEREAS WEIGHTLIFTERS FOCUS ON THE WEIGHT THEY USE. Do yourself a favor and re-read this statement. It is one of the most important rules you can ever come across as a bodybuilder. Focus on the muscle and forget the amount of weight you handle.​
While it may be gratifying to lift as much weight as possible in whatever bad form you choose, it doesn’t do much for the muscle building process. You need to make a decision here and ask yourself the following question: Do I want to satisfy my ego and impress my gym buddies by hoisting heavy weights up and down or do I want to own a well-muscled bodybuilder-type physique and rather impress people with my appearance in and out of the gym? If you opt for the latter, keep reading. Here is what you need to do:​
1–Reduce all your weights by 30%: On all exercises you do you should instantly reduce your weights by 30%. While most of you might not like this idea or think I am crazy this reduction in weight will be more than compensated by using better form, technique, more reps. Welcome to ‘Controlled Muscle Training’. This reduction of weight is imperative as it will now allow your brain to focus on the muscle you intend to train. Instead of struggling with 315 lbs on the bench press for 5-6 reps and putting your focus on the task of handling this weight you will now press 220 lbs in a very controlled style for 12 reps. You will ignore your shoulder and triceps muscles and will only focus on your pecs. You will use your pecs as the primary force to push up the weight and once the weight is in the top lock-out position you will notice that your pecs will have maximally contracted
…it is like a door has fallen in its lock. You do this with all exercises, no exceptions. You will notice a much deeper and more thorough pump than you ever had before. Reason is, you have worked your muscle harder and more direct than ever before. By eliminating ego, momentum, bad form and bouncing you can now put all the stress and focus on the one muscle you intend to train.​
controlledtraining_25.jpg
2–Use 10-15 reps for all exercises: Stimulating muscle growth is not a matter of lifting heavy ass weights for a few hard reps but it is rather a matter of using enough tension over a long enough time and repeating this process. In plain words this means that muscle hypertrophy (the actual growth, thickening of existing muscle fibers) occurs most when you use 10-15 reps, with 12 being the ideal number. 12 reps equals a long enough time to impose the kind of tension your muscles need to respond with growth. This process needs to be repeated several times during your workout as repetitiveness is crucial. How many times will be discussed in the next paragraph when we talk about the ideal number of sets per muscle.​

3–8-10 sets for large muscle groups and 6-8 sets for small muscle groups: Once you are in the 10-15 rep range per set repetitiveness is key. Repeating this scenario 8-10 times for larger muscle groups and 6-8 times for small muscle groups is what makes your muscle adapt and your muscle fibers respond with growth. To avoid mental boredom you should not do more than 2-3 sets per exercise. Which means for a large muscle like legs for example you could do 2 sets of squats, 2 sets of leg presses, 2 sets of hack squats and 2-3 sets of leg curls. For biceps you could do 2 sets of barbell curls, 2 sets of seated dumbell curls and 2 sets of cable curls. Rest period between sets should be around 2 minutes with the exception of legs where you may want to take up to 3 minutes to catch your breathe.​
4–Frequency: Since you are not using ultra heavy weights your joints, tendon and central nervous system need less time to recover. Try to train each muscle every 5-6 days. Split up your body into 4 parts. Day one is shoulders, triceps, day two is back, calves, day three is chest, biceps and day four is legs. You can train each muscle either every five days by using a 4 on/1 off split or every six days using a 2 on/1 off split.​
controlledtraining_27.jpg
5–Progression: As mentioned above 10-15 reps per set are ideal. Once you can do 15 or more reps you should increase the weight you use by 2.5-5 lbs. Make sure not to add too much weight so you don’t drop beneath the 10 rep minimum range as this would force you to sacrifice form which means you are getting back to your old and unproductive ways of working out. Since you main focus is on the muscle and not the weight, do not expect to get stronger with every workout. You don’t have to. Your muscle will grow as long as you target it in the way described above. Muscle hypertrophy can very well occur without a concomitant increase in strength. If you are able to increase the weights during your workouts do so, but do not sacrifice form. You must stay in control and be able to fully focus on the muscle you train.​
6–Overtraining: Overtraining with this type of training style is almost impossible. Reason is you do not tax your central nervous (CNS) a lot. By avoiding heavy weights and by not challenging yourself to lift heavier and heavier your CNS will only be challenged moderately. This will assure that you won’t reach a sticking point or hit a training and growth plateau after just a few weeks of training.​
Anyone who is lacking progress or is caught up in the lift heavy or go home philosophy should give my “Controlled Muscle Training” a try. If you can check your ego at the gym door and accept the fact that you have to reduce the weights your train with in order to focus on the muscle and not on the weight will be shocked how quickly this program stimulated and builds muscle.​

Anyone who is lacking progress or is caught up in the lift heavy or go home philosophy should give my “Controlled Muscle Training” a try. If you can check your ego at the gym door and accept the fact that you have to reduce the weights your train with in order to focus on the muscle and not on the weight will be shocked how quickly this program stimulated and builds muscle.​

This ^^ lift HEAVY and CONTROLLED is what I mean when I say lift heavy, like the article stated if you can't get it for 10+ reps then do NOT increase the weight. I believe 8 reps works as well though, so it might differ for each individual.

I constantly see this at every gym I've trained at. I sometimes purposely take the 135lbs in each hand when doing a incline press and pause to show others that you need to control this weight and it's that much more impressive when you are able to pause and three different positions to stimulate the muscle even further. All my exercises are performed slow, heavy and I focus on the negative contraction rather than the positive because the negative is the guts and glory of a real bodybuilder, same thing with squats I will drop all the way to a full parallel squat with 405, not the half ass quarter squat that I see many others do with the same weight.

Ever get joint or tendon soreness ski? Use anything for it?

Using glucosamine and fish oil atm, and just started cissus. (elbow soreness)

Yikes, E that is a really opened ended question...

First steps...
1) eat at decifit
2) know your body, cutting out diary, fruits, carbs from the diet lil by lil.
3) cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio, cardio..... on and cardio :lol
4) lift big, lift fast, lil rest between sets.
5) no cheating on diet
6) eat frequently, every 2-3 hours (keep the furnace burning)

lil means little right??also,cardio is running???:confused::confused:

Ever get joint or tendon soreness ski? Use anything for it?

Using glucosamine and fish oil atm, and just started cissus. (elbow soreness)

I did use glucosamine for years but I recently came off of it this year and I'm just on fish oils for now. I believe fish oil to be the miracle drug though, I say keep taking your fish oil regularly and it's a way cheaper supplement for the joints than glucosamine chondroiton.

lil means little right??also,cardio is running???:confused::confused:

lil meaning 30-60 second rest between sets, for a bodybuilder I would recommend low intensity but if want to get down there quicker and sacrifice a lil muscle then I would try HIIT, High Intense Interval Training... Works on any eliptical or treadmil.

good god it's embarrassing almost to list my regiment after all of these. I try to watch my diet and I eat alot of whole foods with high protein. I don't typically lift anything heavier than my 30lb dumbbells (curls, deadman, heavy pants). I do no less than 40 pull ups a day alternating between wide and inside. I do 100 crunches a day and 50 pushups. I work from home so I just do them in between tasks. Not much bulk on me but I'm lean. I recently started the p90x plan, it's tough.

Yeah I have no problem going with less weight. I'd rather do it the right way with less weight than to show off and do it wrong and possibly hurt myself. I workout by myself so I don't overdo it with the weight and move up slowly as I get stronger.

Well, this upcoming weekend will be the first weekend in about 5 weeks that no physical activity will be taken for me.:D

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:banana:

No too bad this week. 3 out of 5 days at the gym and the only reason the other days were missed was due to Hockey. I will be taking the day off Saturday but today and Sunday I will have hockey games.

Well, this upcoming weekend will be the first weekend in about 5 weeks that no physical activity will be taken for me.:D

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:banana:

:rock

Taking today off, had a 4 lbs drop since last week coming back from my wedding vacation, back down from 194 to 190lbs in only one week.... I have been kicking my arse royally though, I mean blood sweat and tears royallly, so I'm not surprised that the water weight as tapered and I'm almost back to where I started cutting before my honeymoon :banana:chew:banana:chew

Question for you guys -

At the start of summer (around June) I started exercising weekly and eating right (chicken, veggies, rice snacks, no fast food). I went from 212 to 167 lbs. The work out was 100% cardio, half of it in the morning before I ate anything, and I've shed a lot of flab but now I really wanna target my stomach and love handles. What's the best way to get that area looking real fit?

Question for you guys -

At the start of summer (around June) I started exercising weekly and eating right (chicken, veggies, rice snacks, no fast food). I went from 212 to 167 lbs. The work out was 100% cardio, half of it in the morning before I ate anything, and I've shed a lot of flab but now I really wanna target my stomach and love handles. What's the best way to get that area looking real fit?

Looks like you might have to get lower than 167lbs, as in losing weight there's no such thing as targeting only a certain area because the body reduces it's fat as a whole, so what does that mean well it means that you have to be at a lower body fat percentage for your body type to reduce as what you see as your love handles.

Not too bad so far. I hit the gym 8 days over a two week span and played hockey 4 additional days leaving only 2 days off. I will be at the gym at least 3 days this week and will be playing hockey all weekend in a tourney.

How often do you guys do cardio?? Thanks to the Army my knees are FUBAR and I can only do it two or three days a week without them hurting to the point that I can barely stand up.

How often do you guys do cardio?? Thanks to the Army my knees are FUBAR and I can only do it two or three days a week without them hurting to the point that I can barely stand up.

I'm not a good gage for this question but it's usually twice a day, 4:00 a.m and then post workout in the evenings.

Most do at least 3 times a week. I like to stay moderately lean even while clean bulking so I'm always doing some type or low intensity cardio, it's good for the heart and keeps those bad gains lbs off yah :rock

Back on the horse again. I played hockey all weekend so I took yesterday off.

I plan to work out Tues - Thurs and then I have hockey Fri - Sun.

Back