The Sideshow Freaks Fitness Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, foot pain is almost non-existent. So that means that I am running again today! Yea!!!

I took Tues and Wed off to rest it. But now the time crunch is on!!!

Trying to get my 5k pace established is lagging so have to do some speed/jogging drills to hopefully get a good 20 - 25 min 5k pace set for Warrior Dash. Is it possible, sure, will it happen, only if I believe it will and damnit I believe!!!!

Oh JJJones,

Warrior Dash is the 10th, I fly into JFK on the 11th. Unfortunately I leave back to LAX on the morning of the 14th. If you can make it to the city, would love to catch up bro!

Glad to know you are better bro.

CRAP !

The only way I can do this is if we shoot for something ON the 11th.

What do you think >?

YOWZERS SKI!! But I mean....theres a crap load of cholestroral up in there!!! Isn't that bad?

Common misconception about cholesterol. (dietary cholesterol will not raise your blood levels of it, trans fat will)

Read the cholesterol con, Eggs yolks are good for you eat them.

I worked triceps and chest today...

I got so pumped. And before that, cardio at the bike trail and some sprints at the stadium.

To any naysayers who poo-poo fitness video games, I say: Try EA Sports Active. Specifically "More Workouts". It will beat your ass.

For you hardcore guys who hit the gym and are fairly motived, this probably won't interest you. But for the rest of us who want to get or stay healthy cheaply, or for those of us who require more motivation, fitness games are a great alternative.

Some background: I bought Wii Fit when if first came out, and it got me interested in health and fitness. Eventually, I started running and eating healthier (which I tracked with the "Lose It!" iPhone app) too. My mood was better and I felt better about myself. It was fantastic. I even lost some weight. The problem was, I wasn't really a fatty, I just had a bit of a gut and some man-boobs, so I wasn't really seeing the change in the my body that I wanted.

I bought some other games like Gold's Gym Cardio Workout, which was an excellent supplement to a cardio program, but still wasn't giving me the results I wanted.

I talked with a co-worker who is obsessed with fitness and he explained to me that the cardio wasn't burning the fat at the rate I wanted because I had no muscle.

I'm a professional computer nerd who hangs out on an action figure board and my name isn't Skiman. Of course I have no muscle!

So I started concentrating on building muscle. I started the 200 situp and 100 pushup programs outlined here:
https://twohundredsitups.com/
https://hundredpushups.com/

I stuck with it and definitely got stronger. The problem is, it was winter so I wasn't doing my running, so I had no cardio to burn the fat.

Then I got pneumonia and lost 15 pounds. Great that I lost 15 pounds, even if it was due to illness, bummer because I couldn't see a difference in my body shape. I guessed it was all the muscle I built up with my situps and pushups. Sonuva _____! :mad::banghead

I was totally bummed and needed some motivation. I knew Wii Fit (now Wii Fit Plus) and Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing weren't the solution (though they could be part of a larger program), so I went to the critically acclaimed EA Sports Active Personal Trainer for the Wii.

It comes with a resistance band and a leg strap that you stick the nunchuck controller into. It took some work to figure out exactly what the game wanted me to do, and I got a little frustrated when it didn't track my movements, but that only lasted a day or two. About a week into it, I decided the resistance band wasn't doing the trick, so I upgraded to the Gold's Gym long resistance tubes from Wal-Mart for $15.

I noticed a change in my body about 2 weeks into it. At the end of the program's "30 day challenge", my man-boobs were half the size and my arm muscles started to take shape. The problem with Personal Trainer is that there are no ab workouts. Lots of cardio, and upper and lower body strength exercises, but no ab. This is all fixed with "EA Active More Workouts", the second "game" in the series.

More Workouts takes everything that was great about the first one, and adds to it. I've completed a few workouts and it really whooped my ass. I was literally drenched in sweat when I was done.

So what's this whole tirade about? I dunno, I'm finally seeing results with my half-assed no-gym plan and am pretty happy, so I wanted to share. I also want to recommend EA Active to anybody looking for an alternative for going to the gym. If you have the money to spare, start with Personal Trainer to ease your way into it. It's definitely slower paced than More Workouts. I also recommend upgrading the resistance band at some point.

If you just want to jump right in and start feeling some mega burn, you can buy More Workouts by itself, and then the leg strap and resistance band separately. The resistance tubes I mentioned are these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Long-Series-Resistance-Tube-Kit-with-DVD/12167849 and can be found in-store.

The only negative thing I can say is that the nunchuck wire can get in the way until you get used to it. EA is coming out with a new EA Sports Active game this fall which will include wrist and leg bands to make the workout completely wireless and will be released on Wii as well as PS3. I'll probably get the PS3 version because there will be downloadable workouts on that platform.

So you hardcore guys can laugh at me for not going to the gym, but I'm staying motivated with my cutesy video games and am getting results too! :banana

Back