The Sideshow Freaks Fitness Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the others do not have any ?

Most natural PB's have the naturally occurring peanut oil in them and they separate. So unless you keep it refrigerated you will end up with a puddle of oil on top. That's how it is when you first get it home from the store, so you have to stir it first. I don't mind doing that because I've been eating real peanut butter my whole life. (Alternately, you could just pour off the peanut oil... I have an X-girlfriend who was anorexic that did this.)

The Skippy "Natural" PB is the first time I've seen a natural/no stir. And it's the only one I know of that has palm oil in it. I assume the remove the natural oil and replace it with the palm oil.

Maybe the palm oil is more stable so it doesn't separate. :dunno

"Palm oil , coconut oil, and palm kernel oil are three of the few highly saturated vegetable fats. Palm oil is semi-solid at room temperatures. Palm oil contains several saturated and unsaturated fats in the forms of glyceryl laurate (0.1%, saturated), myristate (0.1%, saturated), palmitate (44%, saturated), stearate (5%, saturated), oleate (39%, monounsaturated), linoleate (10%, polyunsaturated), and linolenate (0.3%, polyunsaturated).[3] Palm kernel oil is more highly saturated than palm oil. Like all vegetable oils, palm oils do not contain cholesterol (found in unrefined animal fats),[4][5] although saturated fat intake increases both LDL[6] and HDL[7] cholesterol."

- Wikipedia

High in saturated fat, but they say that coconut oil is really good for you, so... :dunno

From further down the page:

"Blood cholesterol controversy

The United States' Center for Science in the Public Interest said palm oil which is high in saturated and low in polyunsaturated fat, promotes heart disease.[80] CSPI report cited research that go back to 1970[81] and metastudies.[82][83] CSPI also said The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute,[84] World Health Organization (WHO), and other health authorities have urged reduced consumption of palm oil. WHO states there is convincing evidence that palmitic acid consumption contributes to an increased risk of developing cardiovascular diseases.[85] A 2005 research in Costa Rica suggests consumption of non-hydrogenated unsaturated oils over palm oil.[86]

In a response to the WHO's 2002 draft report, Dr. David Kritchevsky[87] of The Wistar Institute, Philadelphia denied that there are any data showing palm oil consumption causing atherosclerosis. When palm oil was charged in public advertisements as being an underlying cause of heart disease in the United States, the FDA said that there was so little palm oil in the American diet that its putative effects were not worth pursuing. Atherosclerosis is a disease of multi-factorial etiology. While saturated fats contribute to atherosclerosis risks, palm oil is not the sole dietary source of saturated fat, even in Asia. Dietary palm oil raises cholesterol levels only if dietary cholesterol intake exceeds 250–300 mg/day.

Similarly, Malaysia's Institute for Medical Research's head of Cardiovascular Disease Unit Cardiovascular, Diabetes and Nutrition Centre Dr Tony Ng ____ Wai[88] highlighted the cholesterol impact of saturated fats is affected by its amount at the sn-2 position. Despite the high palmitic acid content (41%) of palm oil, only 13-14% is present at the sn-2 position.[89] He expressed surprise that WHO/FAO Expert Group concerned has chosen to ignore this."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_oil#Blood_cholesterol_controversy

Here's a good article:

Is peanut butter really good for you, or is it just another fat-rich processed food?

The answer depends on which brand you buy.

By Janey Macleod

Vegetarians, vegans and folk on a dairy-free diet appreciate the value of peanut butter. As well as being a tasty alternative to dairy butter and cheese, it's a versatile cooking ingredient in its own right (see, for example, our West African Peanut Stew). More importantly, it's very beneficial nutrition-wise. Peanut butter contains around 30 percent protein, and is also a worthwhile source of iron, niacin (vitamin B3) and fiber.

But not all brands of peanut butter are equally healthy. In fact, many contain undesirable additives that do more harm than good. So before you buy your next jar, be sure to check the ingredients.

Avoid the additives

The worst offender is palm oil, a cheap oil that's added to peanut butter to prevent the natural oil from separating out. Unfortunately, palm oil is high in saturated fats. Brands that use palm oil contain 16 to 20 percent more saturated fats than those that don't.

As an alternative to palm oil, some brands contain mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids, also known as glyceryl monostearate or distearate, or E471. This is used as an artificial stabilizer. These brands are also high in saturates.

Sugar is another common additive, though it's often disguised on the label as dextrose, sucrose or fructose. Sugar adds to the calorie count of the product without any nutritional benefit. Of course, it's also a factor in causing many undesirable conditions, from obesity to dental decay.

The 'natural' option

If you want to avoid these and other additives, look for a brand of peanut butter that contains peanuts and nothing else - or, at the very worst, small quantities of added salt. Although too much salt can lead to high blood pressure, small amounts are safe. A sodium rating less than 0.4 grams per 100 grams is acceptable (this is equivalent to about one sixth of a gram of salt per generous serving of peanut butter); anything higher is not.

Fortunately, there are several brands of peanut butter on the market that are completely free of additives. Typically described as 'natural' peanut butters, they include Meridian (available in Europe and Australia), and Food Mill, Natural Value and Maranatha (in the US).

These and other natural brands can be found in health food stores as well as larger supermarkets. You can also order them on line, for example you can now buy Food Mill's Alll-Natural peanut butter from Amazon.Com.

But while these additive-free brands are healthier than their mass-market competitors, they are still high in fat. Even without any added palm oil or stabilizers, peanut butter contains around 42% fat with about 8% saturates. But that compares very favorably with dairy butter (34% saturates) and hard cheeses (around 21% saturates).

Disadvantages

The main disadvantage of the additive-free brands is that, because they contain no emulsifiers, the natural peanut oil tends to separate out. But that's not really a problem, as it's easy to stir it back in. It's even possible to buy a special mixing gadget for stirring in the oil. It does nothing that you can't do almost as easily with a tablespoon, although it does tend to reduce spillage and mess.

Natural peanut butter also has a shorter shelf life than the mass-market variety and needs to be refrigerated after opening.

June 2005

Source

Actually, just type "Palm oil peanut butter" in Google, and you'll get a host of info on the subject. :)

Did weights today. I'm benching 55 lbs...that's the most I've ever been able to do. Not a lot, I know....but I'm a girl. :)

Also squats - 100 lbs and other arm and leg stuff. Good workout. Tomorrow is cardio - which I don't like as much. :lol

All great info Mag, but in general even the slightest amount of PB is going to be minimal for your dietary needs.

So Jimmy unless you are eating jars of this per day I wouldn't worry about it, go with the peanut oil base one if you feel the most necessary but in the 2000 calorie daily intake of a moderate diet you should not be eating this much PB.

I've got chest and bi's today, not sure about cardio because the wife will be with me on this trip since we have the other car in the shop and she only likes to workout on cardio for one hour. So I basically have 1 hour to do weights and whatever cardio I can.

In the gym ... I push myself until fatique.

Running ... Until I can't breathe anymore and I am sweating buckets while it feels like my heart is going to jump out of my chest and then :thwak me.

It's either an imbalance of electrolytes or minerals, potassium if cramping. If not cramping then disregard that I just threw that out there for more knowledge. Anyways to me in sounds more like a electrolyte or mineral deficiency.

I basically go til I can't breath...

Thanks for the info! I shall continue to beat my ass into submission and get more electrolytes and minerals in me. :rock

Quick question:

I am 32, and about 185 lbs. When doing cardio, I have always kept my heart-rate around 130-142. But today I pushed it to 145-155. It was intense, but I kind of liked it. Is this okay to do every time?

Quick question:

I am 32, and about 185 lbs. When doing cardio, I have always kept my heart-rate around 130-142. But today I pushed it to 145-155. It was intense, but I kind of liked it. Is this okay to do every time?

What's your goal to lose weight or keep muscle while losing weight?

So today I ran a 5k trail run and did great!!! The about 15 minutes after I ran another 2 miles while pushing my daughter in the jogger.

Got a blood blister on my foot but I feel GREAT!!!!

I am bored to death with eggs. Gotta find something new. :gah:

Ground turkey, chicken, steak, shakes?

Talked to a bodybuilding trainer which is getting a lady ready for a fitness competition, got a shot of her abs they are looking sick with 9 weeks left to the show. I love this stuff man!

He offered to help me for a October show this year as I might go for it and try to win a WNBA or IFBB prod card if I place high enough or win the show. We talked for a little bit (Jason which I've known for years) and he believes I can take Nationals along with his help and training. I definitely could use the motivation, I'm still very motivate and passionate about this lifestyle but along with a trainer and training camp strictly made for bodybuilding and fitness guru's I can turn into a driven monster with no room for submission.

Cheers to October if I remain healthy all summer, a motivated Ski driven by others is a dangerous Ski :lecture

Last edited:
What's your goal to lose weight or keep muscle while losing weight?

Not sure how to answer that...

I guess I don't want to burn muscle away if that's what your asking. But I am doing the cardio primarily for vascular health. Any weight loss will be a bonus.

All great info Mag, but in general even the slightest amount of PB is going to be minimal for your dietary needs.

So Jimmy unless you are eating jars of this per day I wouldn't worry about it, go with the peanut oil base one if you feel the most necessary but in the 2000 calorie daily intake of a moderate diet you should not be eating this much PB.

I've got chest and bi's today, not sure about cardio because the wife will be with me on this trip since we have the other car in the shop and she only likes to workout on cardio for one hour. So I basically have 1 hour to do weights and whatever cardio I can.

Yeah I only take a spoon or two throughout the day as a snack on an apple or pretzle or something. This should be ok. :pray:

Not sure how to answer that...

I guess I don't want to burn muscle away if that's what your asking. But I am doing the cardio primarily for vascular health. Any weight loss will be a bonus.

Yea running for long periods of time is not muscle reserving, so I think you are burning the rope at two ends if you are wanting to gain or keep muscle.

The more info I have with what you are trying to do, I can help you more along.

Yeah I only take a spoon or two throughout the day as a snack on an apple or pretzle or something. This should be ok. :pray:

I wouldn't worry about it then, I switched back to stir only this time organic PB, I'll post a pic of the latest PB I'm on right now, just finished the Skippy over the weekend.

Back