The Walking Dead - TV Series on AMC ( Comic and Un-aired Spoilers unwelcome!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Walking Dead - TV Series on AMC ( Spoilers!!)

Well, let's try and put the comments into context a little better. The comments came from John Bernthal himself (actor who played Shane) and he said that was his insight into the character. Were there other actors who said something similar to what John Bernthal said?

His motivations were left deliberately vague by the writers. I think Shane's actions can be viewed from a pro (suicide by Rick) or con (he was becoming unhinged) viewpoint depending on whether or not you liked the character or not.

Both actors have stated otherwise. Andrew in an interview on AMC's website and John, in that long radio show interview posted eons ago. That said, despite what the actors have stated, people are gonna take from it what they will. Hell, you know as well as I do, there're idiots here who still think Lori's pure and virginly. :lol

Both actors have stated otherwise. Andrew in an interview on AMC's website and John, in that long radio show interview posted eons ago. That said, despite what the actors have stated, people are gonna take from it what they will. Hell, you know as well as I do, there're idiots here who still think Lori's pure and virginly. :lol

True dat. :lol

Doesn't matter much what the actor's motivation was, or what writers were insinuating. All that matters is the information conveyed on screen. People can certainly draw their own inferences from what they see, and some will inevitably end up falling further from the reality depicted in the show than others.

Trying to figure out the motivation behind the killing of the soldiers at the end of the episode, aside from simply establishing the governor as a baddy, obviously.

Wouldn't a goal of the governor to be to gain useful people for his group, not just weapons?

Obviously they would be quite useful in terms of protecting the village.

Woulld his concern that the soldiers would not follow him and cause subversion be justified? If they kept the pilot of the chopper alive and brought the soldiers into his group, would there be no chance for the rag tag band to join the community or would they be too focused to returning to doing whatever they were doing?

I'm curious whether the soldiers were still working for the government or were they on their own? Hmm.

If on their own I'd think the governor would be wiser trying to convince them to work for him.

Trying to figure out the motivation behind the killing of the soldiers at the end of the episode, aside from simply establishing the governor as a baddy, obviously.

I'm not too sure; but ...

I think he saw them as potential threats to his position and power so he put them down. And he figured might as well take their weapons and vehicles.

Plus, you got to think logistics too. Bigger group means more mouths to feed.

I'm not too sure; but ...

I think he saw them as potential threats to his position and power so he put them down. And he figured might as well take their weapons and vehicles.

:exactly: Yup! I don't think it had anything to do with establishing him as a "bad guy", it is what it is. Hes in charge and thats the way its going to be. If they found one lone soldier with a skill that seemed useful I'm sure he might have played it differently, but to let a whole group come in that would already be watching each others back? C'mon...

:exactly:.

:exactly: Yup! I don't think it had anything to do with establishing him as a "bad guy", it is what it is. Hes in charge and thats the way its going to be. If they found one lone soldier with a skill that seemed useful I'm sure he might have played it differently, but to let a whole group come in that would already be watching each others back? C'mon...

From a filmographic standpoint it obviously had to do with making him a bad guy. Bad guys do bad things. If he didn't do bad things he wouldn't be the bad guy. :dunno

If you're not the bad guy, then letting in a group of people who watch each other's backs isn't a bad thing, as a matter of fact, probably would make that community stronger.

From a filmographic standpoint it obviously had to do with making him a bad guy. Bad guys do bad things. If he didn't do bad things he wouldn't be the bad guy. :dunno

Yeah, that whole trick-and-shoot-them-soldier-scene ... pure plot device to characterize the governor as the main antagonist of the season.

Last edited:

If you're not the bad guy, then letting in a group of people who watch each other's backs isn't a bad thing, as a matter of fact, probably would make that community stronger.

Theres motivations in the personality of the character they're establishing. If it was just as simplistic as "OMG bad guy" like your thought patterns seem to run, he would have already killed/had killed Andrea and Michionne and the city would be littered with pikes of the dead. Unfortunately, things in the show, much like reality aren't as simple as you tend to try and make them.

Yeah, that whole trick-and-shoot-them-soldier-scene ... pure plot device to characterize the governor as the main protagonist of the season.

That and making him look like a deranged mofo with his pet heads. :lol

Theres motivations in the personality of the character they're establishing. If it was just as simplistic as "OMG bad guy" like your thought patterns seem to run, he would have already killed/had killed Andrea and Michionne and the city would be littered with pikes of the dead. Unfortunately, things in the show, much like reality aren't as simple as you tend to try and make them.

LOL. Exposition on a tv show serves a purpose for the viewer. Usually in stories they make it obvious who the hero is and who the villian is. Its a fact of storytelling so that viewers know who to hiss and boo or cheer for. Or be afraid of.

If the point of the scene was to "get him guns" instead of establishing him as a villian they wouldn't show the scene, he'd find them in a field or something. :lol

Furthermore, if you read my whole post you'd see that I said "aside" from that demonstrative point what would the character/behavioral reasons for him to do that be, so clearly "my thought patterns" aren't as "simple" as you assumed them to be based on 1 sentance that you chose to read. :lol

Last edited:

Saw this before and found it funny.:lol

lawns.jpg

LOL. Exposition on a tv show serves a purpose for the viewer. Usually in stories they make it obvious who the hero is and who the villian is. Its a fact of storytelling. If the point of the scene was to "get him guns" they didn't need to establish that part of the character for the viewer's benefit they wouldn't show the scene, the guns and vehicles would already be there.

The opposite is true as well. They don't show people sleeping or taking a **** because it serves no point to show it. :wink1:

But you just claiming they show it so you know hes a bad guy is just base thinking. They show everything for viewers to establish an opinion of a character. I think it was obviously shot to show that he does not want anyone around that can upset his power base, you think its "just cause hes bad". Maybe thats all it was. I just don't see it in such simplistic terms, I think it speaks of the Governor's psyche towards "ruling" others.

Saw this before and found it funny.:lol

lawns.jpg

Similar pics all over, would be funny if they did an Easter Egg and had a zombie in an episode pushing a mower around in the background.

Wouldn't a goal of the governor to be to gain useful people for his group, not just weapons?

Obviously they would be quite useful in terms of protecting the village.

Woulld his concern that the soldiers would not follow him and cause subversion be justified? If they kept the pilot of the chopper alive and brought the soldiers into his group, would there be no chance for the rag tag band to join the community or would they be too focused to returning to doing whatever they were doing?

I'm curious whether the soldiers were still working for the government or were they on their own? Hmm.

If on their own I'd think the governor would be wiser trying to convince them to work for him.

Nah. The military represents an order where the Governor cannot be king. He saw them as a threat to said kingship and took them out. It's as simple as that. The bonus was the weapons and supplies. The only issue with that scene were the soldiers just standing around waiting to get shot despite surviving raiders and walkers as long as they had.

Nah. The military represents an order where the Governor cannot be king. He saw them as a threat to said kingship and took them out. It's as simple as that. The bonus was the weapons and supplies. The only issue with that scene were the soldiers just standing around waiting to get shot despite surviving raiders and walkers as long as they had.

:lol

Seriously. He does like to refer himself as the governor.

Back