The Walking Dead - TV Series on AMC ( Comic and Un-aired Spoilers unwelcome!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No TV compares to this show. Not even close.

Truly beautiful.

I have stayed out of this thread so I was totally spoiler free for most of the season. I don't even want to look through the thread now because I don't want to read nit picking. I just don't know why anyone would waste time on anything but praise for this show.

The last third of this season had a very George Romero feel to it IMO. Especially the finale. I felt like I was watching Day of the Dead for the first time at a couple points.

I watched it for a second time tonight. Liked it even more. I thought the more subdued and somber ending was far more fitting for this season. I like that the conflict with the Gov is unresolved. I like the hint at coming tensions between Rick and Carl. The final shot was poetry... Sure there were plot holes. Oh well.

Other than stuff on HBO, what basic cable shows come close to this even when it has a "slow filler episode."?

Breaking Bad. Mad Men. What else?

Someone say some nonsense like Arrow or Dr. Who or that complete garbage of a joke Big Bang Theory and than talk **** on this, I dare you. They are all by the numbers crap. Fact is this is top 1 percent even when it's slow. Those "done with it" or "not coming back next year" enjoy The Voice and American Idol and Americas Got Talent and America's Next Top Singer, and Honey Boo Boo. I'll be right here with The Walking Dead when you come crawling back in october.

Other than stuff on HBO, what basic cable shows come close to this even when it has a "slow filler episode."?

Someone say some nonsense like Arrow or Dr. Who or that complete garbage of a joke Big Bang Theory and than talk **** on this, I dare you. They are all by the numbers crap. Fact is this is top 1 percent even when it's slow. Those "done with it" or "not coming back next year" enjoy The Voice and American Idol and Americas Got Talent and America's Next Top Singer, and Honey Boo Boo. I'll be right here with The Walking Dead when you come crawling back in october.

How about "Hannibal" this Thursday?

Oh yea that show that hasn't premiered yet and is a rip off of a movie they made from a book that was only written to capitilize off the success of a movie that was a remake of another movie? :lol Could be good I guess.

Well, I for one liked this episode quite a bit... and I'm actually a fan of Andrea, so I was indeed bummed that she died... overall, it was an exciting episode. I'm not going to get into the nitpicking so, yeah, it was good!! Such a long time for the new season though :monkey2

Arrow being better than TWD is nonsense? Have you even seen the show? It's better. Better than the past two seasons of TWD at least. Season 1 of TWD was absolutely fantastic IMO.

It naturally has a few CW-y teeny drama filler moments, but there's so much more to the show.

I agree with Dr. Who and The Big Bang Theory though. Can't stand those.

Yes I have seen it which is why I specifically mentioned it.

Even at it's best it's just fan fiction from the the network that brought us The Wayne Brady Show.

Arrow? As in the crap Green Arrow show? I gave up on that after two episodes.

It's not crap, it's a great show. I don't think it really picks up until somewhere around the fifth or sixth episode though.

I don't know what it is, but ever since season 1 TWD has taken a severe drop in quality. I'd like to watch season 1 again someday and see if I can recognize what exactly is missing.

549467_643526179006877_635551834_n.jpg

Laurie Holden looks more like the comic Andrea here than she ever did on the show. :lol :slap

Kirkman talks about the finale and Season 4

TVLINE | Laurie Holden suggested it was somewhat of a last-minute decision to kill off Andrea. What led to the change in plans?
I wouldn’t say it was necessarily last minute. It wasn’t quite planned at the very beginning of the season. It came up in the development of the Woodbury story. There were a lot of different plans for the Andrea character, and as we started getting closer and closer to the last few episodes of the season, it started to become a little more clear the direction we wanted to go in. And the thing that would have the most impact on all of the characters was actually her death.

TVLINE | Did the fan backlash towards the character factor in at all?
That was never anything that worked into the decision-making process. Fan backlash isn’t something we use to make decisions. The death of Andrea was already shot well before these last eight episodes aired. So it’s not really even possible to use fan reaction to guide story.

TVLINE | Were you surprised by the criticism directed at her? And, looking back, would you do anything differently?
Looking back, there are probably a few things we could’ve done to stem that. It wasn’t our intention to have a small but vocal portion of the audience not really behind her. We really wanted to show this character as someone who was optimistic about the possibilities of Woodbury. In the end, it’s always a risk having the audience know something that the character doesn’t. But we felt it was important to show the optimism in her. To show, in a sense, how desperate she was to have something to hold on to and be optimistic about. Some audience members didn’t react favorably to that. I do think it was a misreading of the situation. I see a lot of people saying, “Why doesn’t she know the Governor is a bad guy?” We’re seeing a larger picture that the character is not seeing. And some audience members didn’t key into that as much as we would’ve liked them too.

TVLINE | Why did she spend so much time staring at Zombie Milton instead of picking up those damn pliers?
[Laughs] You know, it was a struggle. A very tense situation. If you’ve never been straped to a chair watching someone die before you I don’t know that you can really judge how someone behaved. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Why did Rick bring the Woodbury residents to the prison instead of relocating the prison folks to Woodbury?
The Governor is still out there. He’s already killed a great number of people from Woodbury. And I think they were able to repel him at the prison, so moving into Woodbury and setting up shop in his backyard – a place he’s very familiar with — would be very dangerous for Rick. They see the prison as something that is much more easily defended than Woodbury. They were able to get into Woodbury easily themselves. The Woodbury defenses are very effective against zombies, but not very effective against humans. They see it as much more of a defensible position.

TVLINE | Why keep the Governor around as a series regular next season?
That question will be answered [in] Season 4. We always had a plan for this guy. We always knew that it was a bigger story than would fit into one season. There’s still a lot more to be done with this guy. We’ve known from the very first minute of Season 3 that we would be keeping the Governor around for a while.

TVLINE | Will the prison remain the primary set piece in Season 4?
There’s always going to be new locations and new places to discover and explore. I don’t want to reveal too much; Season 4 is still five months away. But I will say that as we see at the end of Season 3 we’re definitely going to start Season 4 at the prison. We may be there the whole season and we may not be… But there are going to be some big differences from Season 3.
The original Andrea and Milton scenes.
EW: Yeah, I know you guys originally shot a much different version of this whole scene. Walk me through how it was originally shot.
ROBERTS: Originally, the beating scene that started the episode wasn’t there. Originally, I showed up and was led into the room where Andrea was and I took the tools out – the instruments of torture that were laid on the table — and then he shot me in the stomach, completely unexpectedly. And then I was left to bleed out in the same idea basically — you’re going to kill her now. There was a lot more of Milton trying to open the door and him trying to free her from the chains. And then there was a section where he was going to wrap the chain around the neck and try to choke her to death before he turned so she wouldn’t have to deal with Walker Milton, or Biter Milton, as it were.
And then at the end of that, it was just Tyreese and someone else who found her. Rick and Daryl and Michonne weren’t there. So it was essentially the same idea, except you saw me taking chunks out of Laurie Holden in that version. And then they called us back a few months later to reshoot it and made all those changes. So now you’re not sure if I’ve gotten her until after that door opens, and I think that’s probably why they did it.

EW: So they actually shot the scene of you as a zombie biting into her?
ROBERTS: Yeah. It’s funny, in the articles and on Talking Dead last night, you’ll notice stills of Milton where he has glasses on [Ed Note: See picture above!]. They are from the scenes that we shot and weren’t aired. Because Milton gets his glasses knocked off and never has glasses in the interrogation scene in this finale. But I’ve seen a lot of pictures where Milton has blood on his mouth and glasses on that were from that first shooting.

EW: So tell me about the part where you were trying to strangle her.
ROBERTS: They both desperately wanted for that to work but at that point he had bled out so much. So he pulls and pulls and pulls but he doesn’t get it done and he falls against the wall and is passed out. And he never comes back from that until he turns into a walker.

Last edited:
In hindsight I guess it makes sense that the governor wasn't killed off in season three. After all, Kirkman must have a soft spot for the character seeing as he wrote a whole novel about him.

Also, I wonder if either the governor or rick went back for the vehicles and weapons at the massacre site? I mean why leave all those useful assets just sitting around.

I don't remember seeing this posted in here...

[ame="https://youtu.be/mIeAdLX2Rw0"]https://youtu.be/mIeAdLX2Rw0[/ame]

I don't think so. The Governor planned on ambushing Rick at the meeting. Merle took out eight of the Governor's best, not just eight random schmucks. The showdown at the prison could've looked a lot different if Merle hadn't done what he did (and the showdown with Merle could've looked a lot different if Milton hadn't burned the Governor's walker-bomb).

The showdown happened logically ... make it look abandoned, funnel them into a small space, scare the hell out of them and make them flee. They're not soldiers. They have no skills. They've never been in a gunfight. Get them closed-in, make their numbers useless ... and then use their inexperience to your advantage. If Merle hadn't taken down those eight ... there'd probably have been a firefight in the catacombs.

I thought it was a fitting ending ... and I like that the writers don't always take you where you're expecting to go. Everybody expected the Governor, Martinez and the black fella to die ... they didn't. Everybody expected some of the weakest at the prison to fall ... they didn't. Everybody expected Rick's crew would take out a bunch of the Governor's and the Governor himself, and lose a few of their own ... but the Governor took out his own and fled to fight another day, and Rick lost none, and gained several useful people.

And, in contrast to last year's ending which set up what's next ... this ending left you wondering where they're going with it. Keeping people guessing is a good thing.

SnakeDoc

. . excellent post . . . :lecture

Justified.

SnakeDoc

Back