The Watchmen Figure Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice pics, warlock. my 1/6 rorschach needs to hurry up and ship. i like the 13'' dc stuff. i mean it is what it is...not hot toys caliber but what is other than hot toys?

Warlock, please allow me to demonstrate the concept of "manners" to those who apparently never learned them:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to take the pictures and post them so the rest of us can get a sneak peek at the figures.

Pfffft. :rolleyes:

I think the 1/6 Rorschach looks pretty good for DCD. Especially considering his mask is practical. I like that he's got a full suit, too. I thought they'd skimp out on the jacket.

A little water treatment might work wonders, it did a good job of resetting Manhattan's suit so it flowed more naturally.

Warlock, please allow me to demonstrate the concept of "manners" to those who apparently never learned them: Thank you for taking the time and effort to take the pictures and post them so the rest of us can get a sneak peek at the figures.

STFU. We don't need preaching and high horses to counterbalance. Warlock, thanks for posting your pics, its nice to see it finally out. I think the Kovacs sculpts is one of the better ones but the paint as usual with DCD needs a little TLC. What are you definitive thoughts on it compared to other 1/6 figures?

Hot Toys needs to announce their figures before I'm forced to buy the 1/6 Rorschach when I see him at TRU.

Guarantee you that HT's announcement doesn't come until next month. DCD is delaying it as they did with TDK and The Spirit, they want their stuff to go out there first because they know people will pass on a DCD if they know definitively that HT is in the pipe.

Warlock, thanks for posting your pics, its nice to see it finally out. I think the Kovacs sculpts is one of the better ones but the paint as usual with DCD needs a little TLC. What are you definitive thoughts on it compared to other 1/6 figures?

Well, like angry orc says, it is what it is: Not close to Hot Toys caliber, but pretty good for a mass-produced piece. A little more futzing with it, and I'm sure I could make it look better. Of the 3 Watchmen 1/6 figs, it's easily my favorite. I love the detail they added on the aerosol can (Veidt hair spray!), and the grappling gun is awesome --the prongs fold out. The lighter looks pretty good, too. One other point working in its favor is the pair of sculpted hands: allows Walter to hold his grappling gun really well.

Although I acknowledge some major faults with DCD's 13" (or 1/6) line (I hate the bendy hands, cut joints, and zippered boots), overall I like them. They're the best comic-inspired 1/6 figures we're likely to get. I grew up in the 70's playing with Megos, and these are much higher quality than those, although lacking the "kitsch" factor.

megos rule! still looking for a mint, complete conan.

my only nits with the 13'' dc stuff are the bendy hands and the articulation cuts in the biceps (which i wish they would do a better job at hiding). i just want the bendy hands to actually be able to hold something. it takes a bit of fiddling to get the comedian to hold his pistols.

Well, like angry orc says, it is what it is: Not close to Hot Toys caliber, but pretty good for a mass-produced piece.

But these really aren't mass-market items. They are typically only sold on-line or at specialty stores, fairly limited (not sure if numbers are given, but I'd guess comparable to Sideshow releases) and given high-end prices.

So I think its reasonable to compare them to HT or Sideshow as you are paying around $100 for each. If these were mass-market prices (like $20-$30) sure it wouldn't be an issue, but for the asking price they are woefully below par.

You only pay around $100 if you buy them at LCSs but I get what you are saying. I bought my Comedian for around $80 and it should be arriving today. I would have loved DCD to stick to a 1/6 12" sature and put at least Sideshow quality into their items but some of them are quite well done. I wasn't expecting much out of any movie properties but was so impressed with Manhattan compared to other releases that I decided to follow the line to its natural end which seems to be these three figures.

Yeah, I think their comic based figures (while still probably priced too high) are pretty good... but the movie ones just always look kind of shoddy.

I picked up the translucent variant of Manhattan today at my comic shop. I haven't opened him yet, but in the box, his coloring and look really match the pics I've seen from the moive so far. I'd say the regular makes a decent comic look though. So exclusive = movie, regular = comic as far as I am concerned.

Wasn't impressed by the variant Comedian, so I'll probably just get the regular of him.

I love the Comedian figure. More than I thought I would. I have yet to find a Manhattan, is the translucent only at LCS?

/\ yes. Diamond exclusive. And selling quite fast. I got the last one at my LCS yesterday... and they just got them in yesterday.

Damn it. Looks like I'll have to resort to eBay. I can't get to my LCS until this weekend and there is no way they'll still have them by then, we only have one comic book shop serving 7 different cities.

My Translucent Dr. Manhattan and the last two busts (Nite Owl and Silk Spectre) should be arriving from CSC/AT on Monday.

After that it's just the 3 Rorschach figures held up by the Jackie Earle Haley likeness left. I have the TRU one on preorder from them and CSC/AT has my preorder for the other two (the 13" and the non-prisoner Unmasked).

So far the expensive stuff seems to be behind me. In addition to the last 3 Rorschach figures I have the vinyl editions of the soundtrack and score and the "Tales of the Black Freighter" DVD. Warner Bros. is still dicking around with my 7" vinyl box but as of a few hours ago the money was taken out of my account so I'm considering it paid until the charge disappears again.

I think I'm actually going to make it through this explosion of "Watchmen" merchandise without selling my body on a street corner. What a relief!

I had planned on avoiding the 13" series of figures for the Watchmen movie, but I found the Dr. Manhattan for a steal and couldn't resist. Yea, that means I'll probably end up with Rorschach and Comedian now too. Damn this addiction.

Manhattan isn't a bad figure - he's just not an $80 figure by any stretch of the imagination. No accessories other than a stand and those ridiculous bendy hands, and paint work that isn't up to the usual quality. Hey, I love the suit, and if you manage to pick him up cheap like I did he's not bad. But at regular retail you're definitely going to feel the pain. You can find the review at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Have a great weekend, and thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

Is the Rorschach shorter than 13"? Will he look weird next to my other 1/6 figs?

Yes, he will look weird. He would probably be slightly taller than them when he is supposed to be much shorter. Think 11" for a correctly scaled figure. At least if Medicom makes one, he'd be the right height :D

I opened my translucent Manhattan just now. I have him on my desk that faces a window and I love how the light catches him and makes him "glow." Very cool. Wish he had a light up base though.

He will only look weird next to non DCD 1/6 figures as they all do because of the size and proportions. With other DCDs he is on the Robin body which means he'll be in the correct scale next to the other heroes.

Yes, he will look weird. He would probably be slightly taller than them when he is supposed to be much shorter. Think 11" for a correctly scaled figure. At least if Medicom makes one, he'd be the right height :D

And it'll come with a dogfur coat. :monkey5

Back