The Watchmen Figure Thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure he is referring to the idea of DC doing more than just series 2. Irish posted something somewhere on these boards where DCD said that they aren't shying away from more DCD Watchmen both in 1/6 or in 7" but that there were no immediate plans....although the quote did say how much they liked the film version of The Minutemen Comedian so I would assume that'd be out before anything else.
thanks for the update.
although "no immediate plans" doesn't sound encouraging.

Perhaps they wanted to wait until the first 3 prototypes were done. I know that at least one of the head sculpts wasn't finalized until about a month ago.

Perhaps they wanted to wait until the first 3 prototypes were done. I know that at least one of the head sculpts wasn't finalized until about a month ago.

If they were waiting for all six I could understand, but three is incomplete anyway, so why not confirm the line with a single release.

Rather than a large reveal I think it would be much better to release a figure every two months. That would make it not only seem less expensive but maintain interest. Mattel has the right idea from a business perspective with its MOTU line.

If they were waiting for all six I could understand, but three is incomplete anyway, so why not confirm the line with a single release.

Rather than a large reveal I think it would be much better to release a figure every two months. That would make it not only seem less expensive but maintain interest. Mattel has the right idea from a business perspective with its MOTU line.

But Mattel also caters to a larger base with retail releases. Hot Toys is collector targeted, a larger release usually generates more hype, and possibly excites you enough to buy them.

I doubt the 3 figures will all actually be released at once regardless of whether they are announced that way or not.

Then again, they appear to be doing the HELLBOY II and POTA figures that way, so we'll see.

I doubt the 3 figures will all actually be released at once regardless of whether they are announced that way or not.

Then again, they appear to be doing the HELLBOY II and POTA figures that way, so we'll see.

And Predator and Terminator.

I hope they don't even happen, and if they do I hope they're not good. I don't want to be tempted to buy Rorschach or Comedian or Nite Owl for that matter.

Maybe the rather dissapointing box office has scared Hot Toys off. They don't want a repeat of The Spirit. I just hope that's not the case.

I think Watchmen will do very well on DVD, and I think the figures would do much better than any for The Spirit.

True. The Spirit was a horrible bomb that pretty much nobody saw. Watchmen just did ok. I just hope that difference is enough.

I also don't think The Spirit has the "cult hit" potential that Watchmen does.

True. The Spirit was a horrible bomb that pretty much nobody saw. Watchmen just did ok. I just hope that difference is enough.

The Spirit was an attempt to resurrect one of those old characters like Green Hornet or DickTracy which seem kind of corny in a modern context. When the movie was a dud, it had minimal fan-base to fall back upon.

The Watchmen are a well-respected and popular set of characters even without the movie. The movie was a superb work despite the disappointing box office showing. A Hot Toys release should sell reasonably well for high end figures.

Last edited:
I'd also be willing to bet that many of the people that would buy high end figures and Watchmen fans are one in the same.

Maybe the rather dissapointing box office has scared Hot Toys off. They don't want a repeat of The Spirit. I just hope that's not the case.

The Spirit's worldwide gross: $38 million

Watchmen: $178 million (plus very healthy sales of the DCD stuff)

This is not an issue.

If that's true, that's good to know. Wonder if that makes a difference in seeing all six main characters...

I'd also be willing to bet that many of the people that would buy high end figures and Watchmen fans are one in the same.
maybe. i'm a huge watchmen fan, but i have no intention of getting any 1:6 high-end figures from it.
the dcd 7" are exactly the format that i want. i just wish there were more.

on that note... does anyone want to get rid of their nite owl?

Back