The Wolverine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By most, do you mean 4? You Only Live Twice, Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, and the horribly retarded Die Another Day?

The reason why this felt out of place because it was. Nothing in this movie set up for a giant fight with a CGI MECH SUIT MONSTER.

DR. NO, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, LIVE AND LET DIE, MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, LICENCE TO KILL, GOLDENEYE, TOMORROW NEVER DIES all had their final showdowns in the villain's over the top, technologically advanced lair underground. Or in a mountain. Or on an island. Or underground in a mountain on an island. Usually with some space satellite/nuclear missile/laser weapon about to detonate.

DR. NO, ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER, LIVE AND LET DIE, MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN, LICENCE TO KILL, GOLDENEYE, TOMORROW NEVER DIES all had their final showdowns in the villain's over the top, technologically advanced lair underground. Or in a mountain. Or on an island. Or underground in a mountain on an island. Usually with some space satellite/nuclear missile/laser weapon about to detonate.

Yeah but, a lair isn't the same as full on retard science fiction. I don't count missiles or nukes science fiction.

The problem with this movie's ending was, it went full on weird *** science fiction without ever setting it up. It was just...HEY. GIANT ROBOT.

Hence why, it was not good.

Yeah but, a lair isn't the same as full on retard science fiction. I don't count missiles or nukes science fiction.

The problem with this movie's ending was, it went full on weird *** science fiction without ever setting it up. It was just...HEY. GIANT ROBOT.

It may not be full-on Star Wars, but it's not exactly Daniel Craig material, either.

I disagree about it never being set up. Yashida was all about immortality, made a point about the Silver Samurai being his protector, discuss his stockpiling adamantium, and we even see the suit's blueprints before they get to Blofeld's castle of death.

Plus it was in the trailers, so no shock there. I knew it was coming, and the signs were there if you paid attention.

I knew it was coming. It's not about the surprise. It's about the narrative. There really wasn't any hints aside from that one shot of the schematics for the robot. In the film, it just doesn't make much sense.

Just got back from seeing it...

I thought it was pretty good. Definitely different in tone than most "superhero" movies these days...at least for the first 2/3's of it...felt more like a character-driven crime drama laced with intrigue punctuated with some (for PG) intense violence.

Handsome production...loved how Japan was utilized as the setting...really felt(and looked) like several different areas were used, from the city to the countryside and lots in between....really beautiful to look at.

Both if the leading ladies were fine...it was refreshing to see two strong women in a movie like this.

Now a little spoiler territory....

I did NOT care for the "Viper" character...her look, they way she acted, her "mutation"... had a real "been there done that" feel...she just didn't fit in with the rest of the movie's tone...she seemed more cartoony instead of intense.

And I gotta agree with those that had issues with the last part of the movie...my issue with it centered around that Silver Samurai robot-suit-thingy that Wolverine ends up battling...why did the old guy have that built anyway? Seemed like it was just there to have a big banging set-piece at the end...it was jarring after the rest of the movie....

Finally....torn about the whole "Jean" thing....I understood it was part of Logan's way of processing the whole thing around her death and saying goodbye and all...but by the time she faded into the ole' white light, well...goodbye...it was past time to go....

Now it may not seem like it from some of my comments there, but I did like this movie...it's always a pleasure to watch Jackman in action....never takes the role for granted or just phones it in and that kind of commitment buys a lot of traction over the rough spots...

Now as for that mid-credits scene...hey the other "Marvel" movies do it all the time so...why not? It was fun seeing Stewart and McKellen again....

Wonder if we'll see another "Wolverine" movie after this one? Hope so..especially if it goes in another direction with it's tone and story....hopefully Jackman is game for it...

Well, he did first ask kindly for Wolverine to transfer his power and then to go **** off and die honorably like an old fart.

Wolverine said no, said the bub wouldn't like it, that it was a curse only he should bear.

Well, saying NO to a crime boss in Japan means only one thing, you get a giant samurai mech with a giant samurai sword in your face. :rotfl

He's lucky he also didn't get some Kaiju. :lol

Just got back from seeing it...

I thought it was pretty good. Definitely different in tone than most "superhero" movies these days...at least for the first 2/3's of it...felt more like a character-driven crime drama laced with intrigue punctuated with some (for PG) intense violence.

Handsome production...loved how Japan was utilized as the setting...really felt(and looked) like several different areas were used, from the city to the countryside and lots in between....really beautiful to look at.

Both if the leading ladies were fine...it was refreshing to see two strong women in a movie like this.

Now a little spoiler territory....

I did NOT care for the "Viper" character...her look, they way she acted, her "mutation"... had a real "been there done that" feel...she just didn't fit in with the rest of the movie's tone...she seemed more cartoony instead of intense.

And I gotta agree with those that had issues with the last part of the movie...my issue with it centered around that Silver Samurai robot-suit-thingy that Wolverine ends up battling...why did the old guy have that built anyway? Seemed like it was just there to have a big banging set-piece at the end...it was jarring after the rest of the movie....

Finally....torn about the whole "Jean" thing....I understood it was part of Logan's way of processing the whole thing around her death and saying goodbye and all...but by the time she faded into the ole' white light, well...goodbye...it was past time to go....

Now it may not seem like it from some of my comments there, but I did like this movie...it's always a pleasure to watch Jackman in action....never takes the role for granted or just phones it in and that kind of commitment buys a lot of traction over the rough spots...

Now as for that mid-credits scene...hey the other "Marvel" movies do it all the time so...why not? It was fun seeing Stewart and McKellen again....

Wonder if we'll see another "Wolverine" movie after this one? Hope so..especially if it goes in another direction with it's tone and story....hopefully Jackman is game for it...

Good review.

Well aside from the mech keeping him alive, he probably made it to become a force no one can take down. Only thing that can break Adamantium in the movie-verse is Adamantium, so only Wolverine, if he succeeded in killing Logan then he'd be in an indestructable battle suit

Jedibear said:

Actually Fox started it with Daredevil back in 2003 and X3 continued it in 2006 :wink1:

I was actually thinking the Silver Samurai robot was stupid and obnoxious until I found out that the old man was inside. Then it worked for me and I bought it. Before that reveal though, all I was thinking was, "WTF movie, what are you doing?" I really thought he died in the beginning (I didn't follow this movie at all before I saw it today).

I just wish it wasn't some big, dumb, CGI thing. You could have easily made a smaller, more practical Silver Samurai with a man in a samurai suit of armor and have the same effect. Play it up like it's the granddaughter's anonymous body guard or something (he goes into the history of ninja clans and samurai doesn't he?) when in reality it enhances the old man's body and was created with the idea of extracting Logan's healing factor and adamantium. Simple as that. Did it really have to be this 12 foot mech thing? You could have had a real, 6 foot, human sized Silver Samurai for the same story.

Well aside from the mech keeping him alive, he probably made it to become a force no one can take down. Only thing that can break Adamantium in the movie-verse is Adamantium, so only Wolverine, if he succeeded in killing Logan then he'd be in an indestructable battle suit

Actually Fox started it with Daredevil back in 2003 and X3 continued it in 2006 :wink1:

Man, I loved Daredevil. :lol

U mean deez?
No. I mean this:

qhRAoYJ.jpg

A superhero suit wouldn't have changed anything a out the movie.:dunno
So you would be as into Spider-Man if he was wore a blue coat and red sweat pants? Do you think Batman would be as appealing if he looked like Jack Bauer while he paroled the city? Superheroes are supposed to be fantastic and over the top. That's part of the appeal. Giving him a more interesting, but comic-accurate aesthetic could make a huge difference with something like this. As-is, the movie, and Wolvie himself, looks pretty hum-drum. That's something the Marvel Studios guys get for the most part (glaring at obvious exception Hawkeye). And that understanding translates into $$$.

So, you were cool with Weyand being in a mech, you just wanted it to be more like IronMan than IronMonger?

You know I was kidding Kara, I knew what you meant. :lol

I don't see why the brown costume (my favorite Wolverine look) couldn't work. It wouldn't necessarily even need to be spandex or a leotard. I think Jackman in the brown get up with a mask could actually look really good.

I kept saying to myself, please don't let it be a robot that Grandfather Stark-son was controlling and let it be him inside.

I finally figured it out that he was inside before the reveal when the ninja-son said "enough awf this plan, i'm excommunicating myself out awf da league awf shawdows-son!"

No. I mean this:

qhRAoYJ.jpg

So you would be as into Spider-Man if he was wore a blue coat and red sweat pants? Do you think Batman would be as appealing if he looked like Jack Bauer while he paroled the city? Superheroes are supposed to be fantastic and over the top. That's part of the appeal. Giving him a more interesting, but comic-accurate aesthetic could make a huge difference with something like this. As-is, the movie, and Wolvie himself, looks pretty hum-drum. That's something the Marvel Studios guys get for the most part (glaring at obvious exception Hawkeye). And that understanding translates into $$$.

Wolverine destined to forever wear clothes from Old Navy. :(

Last edited:
Back