The Wolverine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Wolverine 2

I much preferred the James Hetfield styled Sabretooth from X1 over Schrieber's take. :lol
Man, I couldn't stand that X1 Sabretooth. Not only did he look ridiculous, but he couldn't even speak. He was like Magneto's pet dog. Maybe Schrieber's Sabretooth was a bit more restrained and human than the comic counterpart, but better than being some near mindless beast.

I loved the scene at the train station, where he had Halle by the neck & ever so lovingly whispered, "..scream for me..". :lol

Man, I couldn't stand that X1 Sabretooth. Not only did he look ridiculous, but he couldn't even speak. He was like Magneto's pet dog. Maybe Schrieber's Sabretooth was a bit more restrained and human than the comic counterpart, but better than being some near mindless beast.

X1 was more comic accurate, but sometimes people don't want that, then complain when other films don't have that :lol

Last edited:

X1 was more comic accuruate, but sometimes people don't want that, then complain when other films don't have that :lol
I would say that neither has a clear advantage in terms of comic accuracy, but if I had to rate them I would probably put Schreiber as being more in tune with the spirit of the character. Since his first appearance in Iron Fist Sabretooth was a talker (not one or two total lines in a movie where he usually just grunts and growls), and he's been relatively independent even when part of the Marauders. Most importantly, he was intelligent. X1 Sabretooth felt like Hulk-lite, which isn't what Sabretooth has ever been apart from him being in a feral rage (which also happens to Wolverine sometimes).

I much preferred the James Hetfield styled Sabretooth from X1 over Schrieber's take. :lol

:gah: No. Just No. Both he and Toad were horrid. :lol

I would say that neither has a clear advantage in terms of comic accuracy, but if I had to rate them I would probably put Schreiber as being more in tune with the spirit of the character. Since his first appearance in Iron Fist Sabretooth was a talker (not one or two total lines in a movie where he usually just grunts and growls), and he's been relatively independent even when part of the Marauders. Most importantly, he was intelligent. X1 Sabretooth felt like Hulk-lite, which isn't what Sabretooth has ever been apart from him being in a feral rage (which also happens to Wolverine sometimes).

:exactly:
That Sabertooth was a perfect example of how some things just don't translate well to the big screen. Sure he was comic accurate but he wound up looking more like a SyFy movie Werewolf. Save for the hokey running/gallop scene Liev's was a perfect transition that captured all the spirit of Creed, looked good on the screen and could hold his own dialogue/scene-wise with Jackman's Wolverine.

No, it was still bad. The only saving graces were some decent performances from Jackman, Schrieber, and Reynolds. The story was bad, the direction was mediocre, the action set pieces weren't very good, the characters were lame.

Yep. ****ty movie in every possible way. '

Take out Deadpoo and you got a slightly less ****ty movie, but still an overall ****ty piece of **** movie.

:gah: No. Just No. Both he and Toad were horrid. :lol
:lol

I loved him. Every time I saw him, I thought of the Metallica song, 'Of wolf & Man'. :lol

I know Schreiber did a better job, but I have a much stronger connection to the X1 film & all it's quaintness :)lol), than I ever will for XMO.

Schreiber was blonde in the movie? Since when?
My mistake.. brown haired uncle - cool? :lol

I do like X1 quite a bit. I was really excited about it when it was released, and really, it was the first of the modern wave of comic movies that we are still seeing, so I think folks should respect that. Prior to that, we had the Schumacher Bat-movies and some indie/comedic fare like Tank Girl and Mystery Man. X-Men may be flawed, but it took mainstream comics more seriously than many thought they had a right to be treated, and without that there's no Spider-Man franchise, Avengers, Dark Knight, etc.

I do like X1 quite a bit. I was really excited about it when it was released, and really, it was the first of the modern wave of comic movies that we are still seeing, so I think folks should respect that. Prior to that, we had the Schumacher Bat-movies and some indie/comedic fare like Tank Girl and Mystery Man. X-Men may be flawed, but it took mainstream comics more seriously than many thought they had a right to be treated, and without that there's no Spider-Man franchise, Avengers, Dark Knight, etc.

They probably wouldn't have made Blade either, right? ....oh wait...

I forgot about Blade, but he was a secondary character that very few moviegoers knew of from comics, and the movie wasn't a traditional comic movie anyway so much as an action/horror hybrid that I'm sure producers thought would appeal to a broad movie-going audience. There was also Crow in the '90s that was a "serious" comic movie, but when it isn't a well known franchise the risks are low in the eyes of producers.

I liked the Phantom for what it was. But "highly acclaimed?"

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1072083-phantom/

Conan was far from the traditional comic I'm talking about, Punisher was low-rent straight-to-VHS fare, Men In Black was a second rate comic and a straight up comedy film, TMNT was made because of, and in order to capitalize on the cartoon, and I referenced Crow already. If you want to make the argument that the current wave of comic films was a function of TMNT, the Shadow, and Men In Black, be my guest, but you're wrong.

I liked the Phantom for what it was. But "highly acclaimed?"

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1072083-phantom/

picture.php

Conan was far from the traditional comic I'm talking about, Punisher was low-rent straight-to-VHS fare, Men In Black was a second rate comic and a straight up comedy film, TMNT was made because of, and in order to capitalize on the cartoon, and I referenced Crow already. If you want to make the argument that the current wave of comic films was a function of TMNT, the Shadow, and Men In Black, be my guest, but you're wrong.

It wasn't a function, but they certainly stand on the foundation laid by those superhero/comic films that came before them. You'd be wrong to argue against that.

Sure, X-Men itself was influenced in some ways by the efforts of all those things that came before, and probably mostly by the failures that it tried to avoid. But that movie signaled a sea change in what film companies thought about major comic movies and how they could be made.

Back