World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not saying they were not "fine" for the day. I'm saying that the design aestetic they went with was a SPECIFIC CHOICE for specific reasons. one of which was to allow the game to have a broader level of access by varying pc types. not require ( as many other MMO's at the time) an extremely high end machine. Another, was to follow the "cartoony" look that the earlier warcraft games had.
And with the "competition" at the time, going for a realistic look, they took heat from the mmo community for it.

Additionaly, you're ALSO wrong about the game not getting a graphical update since launch. Many objects in the game have received increased poly counts, and more particle effects, as well as having many textures replaced over the years with higher resolution versions. some examples

the evolution of lady sylvanis windrunner

47215285.jpg

jaina proudmore
zach-jaina-new-580.jpg

proudmore's new model for the new expansion

newjainarlt.jpg

with Thrall it's harder to see, as he's gotten wardrobe changes as well, but if you look at the smoothness of the model, and the texture details, you can still see it

thrall1.jpg

additionally, there are improved frame rates, better animations. and environmental changes ranging from new textures on most of the world, to the updated water, and the dynamic shadows.

I just renewed my account after not having played since WOTLK, and I was really impressed with the little graphical touches that have been done. They retained the WoW design style, with more flair.

It's all the other changes I am having trouble adjusting to, talents, no need for trainers, etc.

When it's the same textures or the same quality of geometry then it's not an upgrade. It's easy to change a character design or simply upload higher resolution textures which they probably had when they first put out the game.

I hope we're not actually discussing the graphic quality for this game?
We all should how old it is and the deliberate art style they have stuck with. It works for this game, bottom line.

Right, WoW's graphic design was a conscious choice to allow for a long product life. Simple, pretty graphics, that get tweaked as needed. It works for what it was intended.

I'm glad to see the game is hardly about being a Panda or pet battles.
The game brings so much stuff going on, it should have alot to do and alot going on.
And you don't even have to be a Panda, or a monk either!

They are just an innocent lost race that you come across. The main enemy or threat is not some evil Panda dude. lol

For the haters :)

When it's the same textures or the same quality of geometry then it's not an upgrade. It's easy to change a character design or simply upload higher resolution textures which they probably had when they first put out the game.

soo.. you're saying the only mmo that has ever gotten a graphical upgrade then is the original everquest?

All mild teasing aside, do you really not see the difference in, for example, the orc face in the middle , and the orc's face on the right?

thrall1.jpg

( orc on the left and the one in the middle Are the same)

They did a big upgrade in the water effects. That was a big upgrade (relatively speaking) and also sunshaft effects and the like.

soo.. you're saying the only mmo that has ever gotten a graphical upgrade then is the original everquest?

All mild teasing aside, do you really not see the difference in, for example, the orc face in the middle , and the orc's face on the right?

thrall1.jpg

( orc on the left and the one in the middle Are the same)

I don't know anything about Everquest, but there's no graphical quality difference between those models, they didn't improve anything about it, it's just a slightly different design.

Graphics quality improvements are like what they've done for Eve

I was almost amazed at Thrall's new Cataclysm body..the detail and resolution was gorgeous.

I didn't think his new body was hunched over though, like in the picture above. Wish they'd go back and update all of the playable race bodies.

The original WoW soundtrack is probably one of the best MMO soundtracks ever made.... Stormwind!, the Inn theme...... the mofo loading screen!!!

I'm curious about the new farming thing. You get to like own your own farm or something? Owning property is one of the most important parts of MMORPGs to me.
Wish WoW had some sort of housing system.

Back