XM Studios Magneto

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+3. It's a masterpiece. I will say though, I think the Lobo PF can give it a run for the money as far as statue of the year is concerned. I'm completely floored by the level of craftsmanship, quality, and details in both pieces.

Yeah Lobo is really good and i'll be buying it. I still want Magneto to win though. :D

Yeah Lobo is really good and i'll be buying it. I still want Magneto to win though. :D

Yeah, I'd have no problems with that. If push comes to shove, I'd have to pick Mags as well. Both pieces are LOADED with incredible details. However, the XM Mags tells a story IMO. It's almost like a dio. The concept of Mags using a defeated Sentinel hand as a throne/chair is so creative. Having the Xavier Institute sign at his feet and Cerebro in his control...just flat out amazing. All of that doesn't even take into account the solid cast, magnificent prototype quality paint apps, and incredible QC that comes with each individual piece. So, the XM Mags will get nothing but love from me and get my vote for statue of the year. And this is coming from a dude who actually hates throne statues for the most part (my only exceptions being the Ultron COM and this piece).

I'd get into a debate with you , since that head sculpt is taken from the original Comic book Magneto and looks EXACTLY like his art work in that era, then I'd ask you to find a picture of Jim Lee's art that looks like that new head, but then I'd probably be wasting my breath since most of you blokes have never picked up a book in your life. :wave

Aside from the fact you have the whole issue of putting a comic book based head on a statue that's .......made up. I still think Madx custom, for comic book fans, is the best Mags statue. I have them all, so really it doesn't matter to me.

See my previous post. All the comic accuracy in the world is secondary, in a statue, when it comes to design and other aspects (sculpt and paint app, mostly). The design choice of the visible pegs is a huge flaw to me.
This, and the fact pointed out above. XM Magneto tells a whole story about the character. Almost every other Magneto statue on the market right now is just "he's controlling metals", and well, yeah, fine... but the character is so much more than that.

See my previous post. All the comic accuracy in the world is secondary, in a statue, when it comes to design and other aspects (sculpt and paint app, mostly). The design choice of the visible pegs is a huge flaw to me.
This, and the fact pointed out above. XM Magneto tells a whole story about the character. Almost every other Magneto statue on the market right now is just "he's controlling metals", and well, yeah, fine... but the character is so much more than that.

There is no visible pegs in the Madx, it has a see through for the skull and the leg is shielded by the skeleton.

The XM studios is the better statue no doubt, but it's not accurate to anything, it's a made up statue from no reference. So comparing an almost perfectly accurate Magneto, that looks like Jim Lee's art work and is based from a storyline where Magneto removes Wolverines Skeleton, to a statue that is just a Magneto statue is not really a good comparison.

Also your first statement makes no sense at all - "All the comic accuracy in the world is secondary, in a statue, when it comes to design and other aspects (sculpt and paint app, mostly)". This means basically that if you put Magneto in the wrong colours, with the wrong suite, with a head sculpt that doesn't represent him, that's ok? Wierd if you ask me. :lol The draw of this statue is obviously the superb base, paint work, display options and presence, along with the freakishly weird obsession with Marvel characters sitting on thrones (which is now being done to death).

I really love XM's stuff, Magneto is the best one , but honestly, even that head isn't that great in terms of likeness to anything. If anything it looks like a hybrid of fassebender. It works for this statue brilliantly though.

I think most people these days though don't care, they probably have statue's of characters they know nothing about and just collect stuff because it looks cool (like Lobo). There's nothing wrong with that. My opinion though is that if you want the best comic based Magneto, it's the MadX statue by a fair margin. Especially if your a fan of the 90's cartoons.

Even comic book artists change the appearance of their characters they draw from time to time, from the way their face looks to the gear they wear. IMO it's no different when a statue artists does the same. I understand why some collectors want classic looking statues, Bowen filled that void for a long time. But I much prefer XM's more modern take with the outfits vs the spandex all comic characters wore the last 50+ years...

Even comic book artists change the appearance of their characters they draw from time to time, from the way their face looks to the gear they wear. IMO it's no different when a statue artists does the same. I understand why some collectors want classic looking statues, Bowen filled that void for a long time. But I much prefer XM's more modern take with the outfits vs the spandex all comic characters wore the last 50+ years...

I'm actually a pretty big fan of comic accuracy (maybe that's why I like Bowen pieces so much). I don't mind a few liberties taken when a statue of a comic character is made. That said, there's really no comic basis for this version of Mags XM went with. To be honest, that would usually bug me enough to pass on a piece. With the XM Mags, that's not the case. Maybe it's because Mags has worn quite a few different costumes over the years but for whatever reason, whenever I looked at the piece, I clearly saw Magneto. No one was going to ask who the character was or what costume he was wearing. When anyone looked at the piece, they saw an AWESOME Magneto statue. That combined with the incredible scene that is painted by all the details in the sculpt pushed this piece into the stratosphere as far as I'm concerned. As a HUGE Mags fan, I knew that I really wanted to add the XM Mags to my collection after I saw it. In my book, this statue is a masterpiece.

All that said, there are a few XM statues where I couldn't get over the liberties that were taken with some costumes. They are some pretty popular pieces and ones that many here consider grails but missed the mark for me. Just too much added details to the costumes for my tastes. These pieces still look great and were well received but didn't fill the bill for me personally. I still think XM hits far more than they miss even with the liberties they take with these characters costumes. Their new Iron Man statue is a perfect example of this. I LOVE the classic Iron Man armor in comics. The JR JR/Layton Iron Man was my favorite Iron Man run in comics. However, I noticed that the armor didn't really translate that well to statue form. All the statues I've seen of his classic armor looked kinda plain and boring. Along comes XM to punch up the classic armor and add some details and the statue looks incredible. XM has proven they will take liberties with many of these characters costumes. Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't. With Mags (and some others) it definitely worked for me.

Personally I love the Modern touches XM puts in. I have read and still read X-Men titles over the last 30 years. Over all those years I never understood why Magneto would wear purple underwear on the outside. Seems like nobody thought it odd. Only recently has his look changed and I think it's awesome. For me XM fills a long void design wise that I have always felt for Comic costumes. Yet so many people feel compelled to put them back in the box. Like saying Magneto should have purple underwear again. I agree Bowen filled that gap perfectly but Im also excited about the future of our hobby. As someone who is an avid comic reader I think a little forward thinking with costume design is long overdue

I am looking forward to several pieces that may rival this one for me personally, BUT that is only because the characters mean more to me. Truth be told I can't see ANYTHING rivalling this one in the 1/4 scale range. Maybe if the Prime 1 Batman comes out early, but other than that nothing is going to touch this one.

Personally I love the Modern touches XM puts in. I have read and still read X-Men titles over the last 30 years. Over all those years I never understood why Magneto would wear purple underwear on the outside. Seems like nobody thought it odd. Only recently has his look changed and I think it's awesome. For me XM fills a long void design wise that I have always felt for Comic costumes. Yet so many people feel compelled to put them back in the box. Like saying Magneto should have purple underwear again. I agree Bowen filled that gap perfectly but Im also excited about the future of our hobby. As someone who is an avid comic reader I think a little forward thinking with costume design is long overdue
:lol:lol

This is by far my most favourite statue. The paint is flawless, the design is genius. I've just bought an electric turn table for this so i can see all the details. It's too nice to have just facing foward. :D

11745773_488199498011543_708968210240394104_n.jpg

11755273_488199771344849_7606385120497664504_n.jpg

11745707_488199814678178_919093809852409027_n.jpg

11694122_488199841344842_105321206570486470_n.jpg

11011178_488199938011499_4372818140316116197_n.jpg

11755803_488199984678161_7049412382390095842_n.jpg

This is by far my most favourite statue. The paint is flawless, the design is genius. I've just bought an electric turn table for this so i can see all the details. It's too nice to have just facing foward. :D

jay, what electric turntable (brand/cost/store/site) can handle this weight, if you don't mind sharing? Thx.

Back