1/6 Hot Toys - MMS284 - Avengers: AoU - Ultron Prime Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmmmmm.

I was watching the trailer for AOU yesterday and it was making me want this figure. Getting hard to resist.

I dont see a problem with the price based on the amount of sculpting and detail. Shame it's not 100% accurate proportion wise but it's still great looking.

Actually, with 3D printing from CGI models nowadays how do HT always mess the proportions up?

That's like saying how did they mess up Rocket's face. lol. He still does not look like a raccoon.

Becuase a cgi computer based drawing is designed to look dramatic on screen not function in the real world. They can 3d print the exact cgi file...but then you have a static statue. If you want an articulated correct visual representation in 3d form then it's not going to be identical. If you want it to be completly 100% accurate, when it's a cgi construct, your never going to be happy with the toys.

I dont see a problem with the price based on the amount of sculpting and detail. Shame it's not 100% accurate proportion wise but it's still great looking.

Actually, with 3D printing from CGI models nowadays how do HT always mess the proportions up?

That's what I always wondered too. I remember the teaser for the Mark VII specifically saying that they were using the exact 3D models from the film and yet the proportions were still off. Though they're somewhat getting better at proportions now.

That's what I always wondered too. I remember the teaser for the Mark VII specifically saying that they were using the exact 3D models from the film and yet the proportions were still off. Though they're somewhat getting better at proportions now.

They start off with the 3D sculpts, but by going in and engineering the joints they lost some things (namely the arms/ bicep) had they done it with the new joint system (starboost, mk 42) they could have gone way more accurate

I think Silver Centurion has the best proportions of any armor they've made.

Rocket Racoon was sculpted by hand because hes organic. Typically just the mechanical/armored characters will use the 3D model data. We don't know at what stage HT receives these files, during/after filming. And whether or not adjustments were made to the model after HT had already started

I think Silver Centurion has the best proportions of any armor they've made.

Rocket Racoon was sculpted by hand because hes organic. Typically just the mechanical/armored characters will use the 3D model data. We don't know at what stage HT receives these files, during/after filming. And whether or not adjustments were made to the model after HT had already started

98-99% certain they get it right after legacy finalizes 3D files with the director, same with hasbro etc... gotta get that product out.

only problem with this is its at an early stage, so things may get cut (warmachine mk 2)

Yeah I noticed that Hasbro probably got an earlier model of Ultron, since all of their movie Ultron's seem to lack the characteristic toes of the movie design...

They start off with the 3D sculpts, but by going in and engineering the joints they lost some things (namely the arms/ bicep) had they done it with the new joint system (starboost, mk 42) they could have gone way more accurate

From what I understand with IM figures and others that are can use CGI models they start by printing out the model in 1/6 scale then add the joints as you say. But they still end up with the wrong proportions, too slim, long neck etc. it's a problem with all HT releases of the 3D printed origin and before. I just wonder how adding joints would elongate the headsculpt of the MK VII for example, they seem to be getting better with Starboost and the 42 as you also say no doubt, but still arent getting it right. My point is surely they can see they dont look right but dont bother to fix it in the early stages by simply increasing the bulk of the figure or shortening the neck etc. which irritates the hell out of me.

The main annoyance for me atm is HT Thanos head, it's too slim and tall. And this figure, while it looks great is still too slim and tall looking (i know he's 8ft I mean proportion wise of his head etc.) others that annoy me are most HT Iron Man figures, never been a big robocop fan but to me he suffers from this as well although not as badly. I guess it comes down to eye for details, I certainly wouldn't let these get past the first print stage if I saw them but then again I'd miss other details like panel lining etc. :dunno

(nothing directed at you LipSmack, just your post had the right contents for me to explain my points from :yess:)

From what I understand with IM figures and others that are can use CGI models they start by printing out the model in 1/6 scale then add the joints as you say. But they still end up with the wrong proportions, too slim, long neck etc. it's a problem with all HT releases of the 3D printed origin and before. I just wonder how adding joints would elongate the headsculpt of the MK VII for example, they seem to be getting better with Starboost and the 42 as you also say no doubt, but still arent getting it right. My point is surely they can see they dont look right but dont bother to fix it in the early stages by simply increasing the bulk of the figure or shortening the neck etc. which irritates the hell out of me.

The main annoyance for me atm is HT Thanos head, it's too slim and tall. And this figure, while it looks great is still too slim and tall looking (i know he's 8ft I mean proportion wise of his head etc.) others that annoy me are most HT Iron Man figures, never been a big robocop fan but to me he suffers from this as well although not as badly. I guess it comes down to eye for details, I certainly wouldn't let these get past the first print stage if I saw them but then again I'd miss other details like panel lining etc. :dunno

(nothing directed at you LipSmack, just your post had the right contents for me to explain my points from :yess:)

I'm glad someone said this. And I'm probably the only one that thinks that the HT Groot looks off in some aspects. XD

I'm glad someone said this. And I'm probably the only one that thinks that the HT Groot looks off in some aspects. XD

Nope, me too. I didn't think any of the Guardians figures looked that accurate, and the lack of Drax (who looked the worst!) means it's a (sadly) easy line to skip.

Nope, me too. I didn't think any of the Guardians figures looked that accurate, and the lack of Drax (who looked the worst!) means it's a (sadly) easy line to skip.

They need improvement... no doubt.... I thought Starlord and Gamora came out well(or well enough to be OK).... so I'm still hopeful for the rest of the team.....

CDUK has raised the price of this from £280 to £300. Ouch. I was on the fence but not any more.

CDUK has raised the price of this from £280 to £300. Ouch. I was on the fence but not any more.

That's not that bad actually, I always got with OSB and they've yet to reveal the full price. would of been happy with £280, but I'm still fine with £300. But it depends on love for the character on how much I'd be willing to pay, I mean most the of the IM's do nothing for me so I wouldn't consider them worth the money.

Thought I was in the Thanos thread :slap OSB had Ultron for £255 + £11 shipping, so yeah £300 seems steep.

Last edited:
Fair point. I'm happy to throw down £305 for Thanos but it feels like you get more bang for that and I'm more fond of that character. I was more surprised that the price has gone up by £20.

Fair point. I'm happy to throw down £305 for Thanos but it feels like you get more bang for that and I'm more fond of that character. I was more surprised that the price has gone up by £20.

True, doesn't seem very professional to increase the price without a reason. Seems like a money grab...but I have no experience with them so they may have a reason.

I just checked Thanos and he has gone up by the same amount. Could be a supplier thing but at least my pre order price has stayed the same.

Back