1/6 Hot Toys - VGM18 - Batman: Arkham City: Batman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what should I do?

I don't have this figure yet, but I'd say you wait a little if you can, see it in person at a local shop/fellow collector's display if and when you could, then decide from there. Clipper may have brought up "good" points, but your mileage may vary and you can only see for yourself. I've seen reviews of figures where some parts were said to look cheap, but in hand *I* find them okay.

I was going to break down and get this one but after seeing clipper's review I'm hedging. I would not have even noticed the gauntlet or boots but now that they have been pointed out... dang. I knew articulation was going to suck after seeing the first prototype but then after seeing the final product I was willing to live with it because I don't pose any of my figures in crazy poses because I don't want them being warped or ruined by putting too much pressure on the costumes or materials. These are beautiful, posable statue pieces to me. But clipper really brought up some great points and I wish they would have gone with the MOS material and a new muscle body. Plus, I like the origins and knight suits more. I might just get the PAK Knight figure now and call it a day. For those of you who have this figure, what should I do?

You can pass... And regret it later.

I have most Batmen made by HT. they all have their issues. Clearly, this one has too, but among all of those I have? This one absolutely stands out as the best incarnation of Batman. If you're not a pose addict, I wouldn't pass if I were you. And if those gauntlets and shin guards really bother you that much (I have this in front of me as I write and they really don't stand out as that bad- never forget that what looks as an issue when magnified is usually okay at actual scale), then it wouldn't take much to customize them.

But in the end, it's your choice to make!:)

I was going to break down and get this one but after seeing clipper's review I'm hedging. I would not have even noticed the gauntlet or boots but now that they have been pointed out... dang. I knew articulation was going to suck after seeing the first prototype but then after seeing the final product I was willing to live with it because I don't pose any of my figures in crazy poses because I don't want them being warped or ruined by putting too much pressure on the costumes or materials. These are beautiful, posable statue pieces to me. But clipper really brought up some great points and I wish they would have gone with the MOS material and a new muscle body. Plus, I like the origins and knight suits more. I might just get the PAK Knight figure now and call it a day. For those of you who have this figure, what should I do?

Like everyone said it depends on what you think. To me, it depends on a lot of factors. Are you a hardcore batman fan? Or a fan of the game? Or a fan of this batsuit? What kind of collection do you have? Do you plan on displaying bats alone or with other figures? He probably will not display well with other Marvel or DC figures as he is so bulked up. Do you plan on getting batfleck? If yes that may be the way to go. As for other game versions of batman, nobody knows if they will release them so this could be the only version they make, or not. Also depends if you have the cash to spend on this. If yes, then buy it! I think it looks great as a representation of the game batman but to use this bats as the batman with other figures, he will stand out (not badly or well but just too different, he is so muscular compared to previous figures that everyone will know that bruce wayne is batman). Like you I think this bats looks awesome. But as I am waiting for BvS bats I will skip this. Also as I can afford only one more bats in my collection. As a stand alone batman, it will look great. Probably not so much in a collection. Just my thoughts...

To those who already have this in hand, how's the hip/leg articulation? I saw one review where it appeared to be pretty decent, b/c of the way hot toys used the shorts to hide the joints.

I was surprised by the "cheap" look of the guantlets and shinguards. I still think he looks awesome, and I know there isn't a whole lot of detail necessarily in the game, but there seem to be a lot of other HT figures, where they went above and beyond to reproduce the extra detail. It almost makes some aspects of this Batman look lazy.
But, I still think he looks awesome! It's a tough call...

I am going to hope for the best on the belt on mine. But I want that Tony cape! It makes this figure look even better. This guy is going to be posed with MOS Clark until Batfleck comes in!

Going to pass on this one. I will wait for the Batman vs. Superman figures. It looks good in a non-dynamic pose. I just don't like how cheap the gauntlets and shin armour looks. Very limited articulation. it did turn out better than I expected it to.

I was surprised by the "cheap" look of the guantlets and shinguards. I still think he looks awesome, and I know there isn't a whole lot of detail necessarily in the game, but there seem to be a lot of other HT figures, where they went above and beyond to reproduce the extra detail. It almost makes some aspects of this Batman look lazy.
But, I still think he looks awesome! It's a tough call...

That isn't true, everything on the figure is from the game's 3D model, there's more than enough definition on the model that HT only had to copy it directly. Also, what part of this Batman looks lazy to you?

That isn't true, everything on the figure is from the game's 3D model, there's more than enough definition on the model that HT only had to copy it directly. Also, what part of this Batman looks lazy to you?

I think I know what he means...in a 3-d model you don't need to have ultra detailed sculpting where you can texture map details like sharper edges and , well, textures...so theoretically the gauntlets simply have to imply certain shapes and the wrapped texture map add the rest of the detail without using up too much information...

The gauntlets however are painted in a nice almost metallic color...which helps bring out the shape in a way, makes the little details pop....I wouldn't call it lazy however, I'd simply call it true to source...

If you look up Clipper's review on youtube you can see how cheap the gauntlets look. It's just a single cheap looking mold with some mushy detail. HT could've done a much better job.

If you look up Clipper's review on youtube you can see how cheap the gauntlets look. It's just a single cheap looking mold with some mushy detail. HT could've done a much better job.

agree my friend and the hands its a bit small to be honest, but its not deal breaker for me, i want kevin conroy batman in my collection since no company make good 1/6 batman animated series i think this will do fine, next i really want bat-flek armor version and im done with hottoys, hopefully...

I think I know what he means...in a 3-d model you don't need to have ultra detailed sculpting where you can texture map details like sharper edges and , well, textures...so theoretically the gauntlets simply have to imply certain shapes and the wrapped texture map add the rest of the detail without using up too much information...

The gauntlets however are painted in a nice almost metallic color...which helps bring out the shape in a way, makes the little details pop....I wouldn't call it lazy however, I'd simply call it true to source...

It's funny how when a small detail is not exactly replicated by hot toys they messed up...or when they do exactly replicate it but it's not something the person likes they should have changed it.

People should really stop blaming hot toys for design choice. They don't do concept design. The do 2d to 3d translation. That's it. If you didn't like the guantlets in game and that's a big deal to you then why are you even in this thread? I don't get that part.

As for there being no texture..that's kinda silly. His suit is all texture. The guantlets are intentially sleek and smooth. You can layer in more texture and detail and edging in a 3d render then you can make in reality. The game design/art team made the choice to do a smooth guantlet. So that has nothing to do with hot toys.

There's nothing wrong with not liking a figure. But you also don't need to blame the manufacturing company for a design choice they didn't make. And lazy, that's a word I don't think should be applied in any way to people (and it's people who do this stuff not some company) who spend hundreds of hours and millions of dollars making these products for us to enjoy.

It's funny how when a small detail is not exactly replicated by hot toys they messed up...or when they do exactly replicate it but it's not something the person likes they should have changed it.

People should really stop blaming hot toys for design choice. They don't do concept design. The do 2d to 3d translation. That's it. If you didn't like the guantlets in game and that's a big deal to you then why are you even in this thread? I don't get that part.

As for there being no texture..that's kinda silly. His suit is all texture. The guantlets are intentially sleek and smooth. You can layer in more texture and detail and edging in a 3d render then you can make in reality. The game design/art team made the choice to do a smooth guantlet. So that has nothing to do with hot toys.

There's nothing wrong with not liking a figure. But you also don't need to blame the manufacturing company for a design choice they didn't make. And lazy, that's a word I don't think should be applied in any way to people (and it's people who do this stuff not some company) who spend hundreds of hours and millions of dollars making these products for us to enjoy.

OH MY GOD DUDE WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM MAN?? you are literally on a crusade to DEFEND just about ANYTHING HT. Almost every thread has you in there arguing with people unhappy with HT. It's ONE guy that doesn't like how the gauntlets came out and it wasn't even an issue with everyone else in here. In fact, the guy you quoted is already doing "the lord's work" by breaking it down for the unhappy customer.

Wow, I rarely call anyone a troll here, but you are prancing right on that line.

If you hadn't caught on by now, EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO COMPLAIN*B!!CH*MOAN*WHINE ABOUT ANYTHING THEY WANT TO. It is NOT YOUR job to protect a COMPANY YOU DON'T EVEN WORK FOR. You mentioned you have kids right? Focus on them from the bullies in the world, and let HT worry about their customers.

Dang dude you pretty much invaded just about all the threads I frequently visit. You started your own thread about rubber right? Start another one about why people shouldn't complain about "can never do any wrong immaculate that-Howard-chan-is-so-hot-right-now" HT thread.

For the love of Christ, back it down man.

And for the love of Christ, no one else has pics of this figure? I need to see moar.

Damn, when is my doll shipping? Looks great to me....have no complaints. HT is the greatest company since the company that invented donuts and milk. Donuts with milk! Yeah!!!!

Back