1/6 INART (Queen Studio) - The Dark Knight - Joker Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many minds will be thinking extra hard this weekend about their collecting goals and what they want their shelf to look like in the com

I think my mind is made up. I'm going with the Deluxe. I never thought I'd drop this much cash on a figure but this is just one of those characters that I've always wanted a custom figure of. This looks to be the closest I'll get. I know I'd regret not getting it if I went with the sculpted hair, which I actually think is still great and wish they had a different ordering model so I could get both. The plus sides is I know I can sell one of those figures and get at least half my money back. So that's taking away the sting a bit but still.....
I'm still putting a ton a trust in an unproven company. Sure they've made killer statues - but I don't care about statues and this is a whole other ball game. So I'm putting a lot of faith in their rep as a statue maker and its fan/customer base that have praised them the past couple weeks. Funny enough, it's the price and the audacity of this initial release that has given them a sort of cred. With this many editions, at these prices, and to do it with this much confidence you almost kinda believe its gonna be great. I really hope so.

It's really dependent on what sculptor they put on what project. I forgot who it was, I think it was Kojun? There was someone on the team who just constantly did all the Tony Stark sculpts and then they finally changed the artist for one of the Iron Man figures and on the first try they nailed the likeness.

It's just like how Hot Toys has stuck Joseph Tsang on anything Alien/Predator related which has resulted in those figures not being fully accurate.

They have some sculptors on the team that are much better than others. It's a gamble on who gets on what project though.

That’s not all though. It’s also dependent on the “art director”

JC Hong is the lead art director on 95% of the portraits in HT portfolio. Roughly 30% of the time, HS range from pretty darn good to perfection. The remaining 70% are awful to decent. Chalk it up to idealizing the portrait or he has a blind spot (as all artists have)...but his track record is decent at best when it comes to art direction and sculpt approval.

That’s my speculative take on it.

Yulli on the other hand...I think when she’s given enough time or isn’t being pressured by JC hongs direction, can do some really good work. I still consider bank robber joker and DX01 to be her best attempts at ledger...albeit idealized, but can still hold up...well, maybe not so much anymore now that we have vipers joker.

We shouldn’t blame the artists though. I’m sure they pour their heart and soul into crafting quality products...it’s the higher ups that pull the reigns and make the final decision. No doubt in my mind that some of the sculptors are on time restraints and want extra time to sculpt the perfect figure...but they’re told “no. As long as it has a passing resemblance to the actor, it’s good enough. Hand in your work and start on the next character.”

icon 3a.jpg

Look at those socks!!!!

That’s not all though. It’s also dependent on the “art director”

JC Hong is the lead art director on 95% of the portraits in HT portfolio. Roughly 30% of the time, HS range from pretty darn good to perfection. The remaining 70% are awful to decent. Chalk it up to idealizing the portrait or he has a blind spot (as all artists have)...but his track record is decent at best when it comes to art direction and sculpt approval.

That’s my speculative take on it.

Yulli on the other hand...I think when she’s given enough time or isn’t being pressured by JC hongs direction, can do some really good work. I still consider bank robber joker and DX01 to be her best attempts at ledger...albeit idealized, but can still hold up...well, maybe not so much anymore now that we have vipers joker.

We shouldn’t blame the artists though. I’m sure they pour their heart and soul into crafting quality products...it’s the higher ups that pull the reigns and make the final decision. No doubt in my mind that some of the sculptors are on time restraints and want extra time to sculpt the perfect figure...but they’re told “no. As long as it has a passing resemblance to the actor, it’s good enough. Hand in your work and start on the next character.”
Don't forget they all respond to the higher ups and license holders as well, they're the ones who give the final approval on these things.

I think my mind is made up. I'm going with the Deluxe. I never thought I'd drop this much cash on a figure but this is just one of those characters that I've always wanted a custom figure of. This looks to be the closest I'll get. I know I'd regret not getting it if I went with the sculpted hair, which I actually think is still great and wish they had a different ordering model so I could get both. The plus sides is I know I can sell one of those figures and get at least half my money back. So that's taking away the sting a bit but still.....
I'm still putting a ton a trust in an unproven company. Sure they've made killer statues - but I don't care about statues and this is a whole other ball game. So I'm putting a lot of faith in their rep as a statue maker and its fan/customer base that have praised them the past couple weeks. Funny enough, it's the price and the audacity of this initial release that has given them a sort of cred. With this many editions, at these prices, and to do it with this much confidence you almost kinda believe its gonna be great. I really hope so.

I get the concerns with dealing a new company. But I have no doubt it’s my mind the final product will match those photos.

QS has A LOT riding on this. One epic fail is all it takes to lose ANY goodwill for what is essentially a start up company. Viper and team will make sure these and future figures will be the new standard.

IN QS/IA/Viper I TRUST.

I'm taking a chance and willing to lose the $187 dollars deposit if the final product looks underwhelming. I'll take the hit. Rather lose $187 dollars than not preordering and missing out on a possible great looking piece.

I don't think I'd let $187 just go. I mean, there would be a great deal of parts that are salvageable with two figures I assume.

Would be gutted if the rooted head came out worse than the sculpted heads though.

Don't forget they all respond to the higher up and license holders as well, they're the ones who give the final approval on these things.
Ah yeah, of course! Ultimately it’s the final step. But before it reaches that stage, they got their own internal approvals and my speculation is they hand in a sculpt that’s 70% there and the higher ups are “it’s fine.”

Regarding Raiders, Disney ain't leaving HT any time soon. And HT won't let it go easily.
Didn't QS did some statue for MCU? So it's possible for them to acquire Raiders in one shape or form? whether a 1/4, 1/3, life size or figure that is released restricted only for China sort of thing?

Didn't QS did some statue for MCU? So it's possible for them to acquire Raiders in one shape or form? whether a 1/4, 1/3, life size or figure that is released restricted only for China sort of thing?

Yeah, I suppose, but they did say nothing in the foreseeable future because the Disney license "is difficult". Maybe they mean price-wise as well.

Back