1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to give this guy a go with the arm and leg thickening... any special tips on how to get him naked?

this guy is wired, I know I must be patient and careful...

image_zps9ah2tm0t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Holy crap that's so much better. I would display it this way if I had that sculpt. Very very very nice. PM me if you start casting these please.

In this pics you used anakin to vader hasbro chest box (right?). Can you tell me the lenght of the sides? I'm planning to use it (with a lot of mods) for my anh vader but I need that it is in the right measures, and it looks too small. Thanks!!

It is indeed the anakin/vader hasbro chest box. Each side measures 1inch/2.6cm which is a little small but workable.

Holy crap that's so much better. I would display it this way if I had that sculpt. Very very very nice. PM me if you start casting these please.

We currently have six helmets in progress for forum members plus the two that are finished for GeneralG . Once these are done , we may consider another small run. But these are time consuming to say the least and the reveal helmets have over two hundred parts . We are out of our own home PE parts for the reveal and I know H needs to etch another lot.if I'm breaking any rules saying this im sorry I don't know the rules.
S x

Did a basic mod on DX Vader - wrapped his limbs in some tape to bulk up and also taped the straps holding chest box to see if securing it would give it a little more stability. Happy with both though the forearms don't have much room in the tapered sleeve so was tough to get back on. Happy with it as a start. May look to heat and shape the helmet flare slightly then fix the tusks. Fun stuff.
d5deeeea79f84fe48e0dd227df552518.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having the worst time trying to paint the kayodo mask. How do you guys mask off the areas for the two-tone paint scheme? I got model kit painter's tape but have to use an exacto knife to shape it to the helmet and it is making marks on the mask. Any tips?

I'm having the worst time trying to paint the kayodo mask. How do you guys mask off the areas for the two-tone paint scheme? I got model kit painter's tape but have to use an exacto knife to shape it to the helmet and it is making marks on the mask. Any tips?

Are you brushing or spraying?

Spraying. Sorry! Should have clarified. I'm using tamiya spray paints since I saw that TS-38 is supposedly close to the screen used gunmetal.

Did a basic mod on DX Vader - wrapped his limbs in some tape to bulk up and also taped the straps holding chest box to see if securing it would give it a little more stability. Happy with both though the forearms don't have much room in the tapered sleeve so was tough to get back on. Happy with it as a start. May look to heat and shape the helmet flare slightly then fix the tusks. Fun stuff.
d5deeeea79f84fe48e0dd227df552518.jpg

bravo! I want to start with exactly the same changes you did.

Any suggestions as to where to start, things to be careful when taking the clothes of the body, cables? please, I am still frozen deciding... :gah:

I ended up mostly cutting and ripping pieces and fitting where I needed them kinda like a puzzle

^^ Yeah, it's a bit of a job, but there's also liquid mask (I think I've seen Jasco) that you paint on like normal paint then peel off.

Spraying. Sorry! Should have clarified. I'm using tamiya spray paints since I saw that TS-38 is supposedly close to the screen used gunmetal.

Can you use Tamiya spray on vinyl? Does it dry okay?

It seems to. There's a spot or two that feels a bit sticky but its probably because I laid it on too thick. Touching it doesn't mess it up.

Someone with more experience can weigh in here, but my understanding is that Vinyl kits have to be painted with acrylics only. They can be primed with an acrylic primer to accept lacquer (which is what the Tamiya TS sprays are) but without priming, I'm not sure it works.

I've been told that if your spraying Tamiya direct onto vinyl it won't end well, if the vinyl gets warm it'll flex cracking the tamiya paint also we found any gloss coating stayed tacky ,we used to use citadel paints on the actual vinyl parts when we used them under coated with chaos black base coat
S x
Ps .when masking we use 6mm tamiya masking tape and surgical grade scalpels so if your careful you won't score the vinyl

Someone with more experience can weigh in here, but my understanding is that Vinyl kits have to be painted with acrylics only. They can be primed with an acrylic primer to accept lacquer (which is what the Tamiya TS sprays are) but without priming, I'm not sure it works.

Yeah, sorry. I'm just experimenting, basically. The kaiyodo that I got on eBay was pretty much ruined by the previous owner with a terrible paintjob that was incredibly sticky. I've just been trying to salvage what I can. I tried my damndest to get the original paint off with acetone(which created some pockmarks in the chin of the mask) I forgot that I did do a test coat with acrylic paint before using the Tamiya, which could explain why it dried fairly well.

bravo! I want to start with exactly the same changes you did.

Any suggestions as to where to start, things to be careful when taking the clothes of the body, cables? please, I am still frozen deciding... :gah:

Hey. Yes was very careful with taking wires off. All my issues are with the wiring and the awkwardness of the belt. But carefully removing the wires then the inner cloak, I then removed the other items. The pleather suit actually stretches the more you play with it which can work against you so take it slow.

I wanted to see how things would look so I used electrical tape thinking the adhesive would be easy to remove if I wanted to reverse. I wrapped the forearm and biceps 3-4 times each. Careful to not get to close to elbow so the sticky doesn't clog up the joint. I wrapped the thighs 2-3 times.

The one thing upon putting the pleather back in was that it was tough to get over forearm. Mostly because of friction so I ended up removing a layer of two.

The legs are tougher. Putting the boots back on bunches up the pleather at the knee. I did a makeshift piece of tape and the bottom of the pant like a hook to pull through the boot and keep the pant leg even. But it still bunches up a bit at knee, not awful because the shin guards and cloak cover it but still it bothers me.

I positioned then taped the straps to the body for the chest box. All the tape is hidden. However if I did a lot of posing the electric tape probably won't stay in place so using a stronger tape that won't leave residue is the trick.

Hope this helps. It's a temp fix for me right now but I have to say just filling out the arms a legs a tad and securing the chest box really made me feel better looking at Vader. Just has a more solid and fitted look. Next up is taming that helmet flare a bit. Hoping a hair dryer will suffice and not ruin finish.
Good luck!

Back