1/6 SSC ESB/ROTJ Darth Vader Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here is my custom vader I did. IMG_0058.jpg

I used electrical tape thinking the adhesive would be easy to remove if I wanted to reverse.

Word of warning: It's not easy. Electrical tape adhesive can start to get really gummy after a while and makes a mess when removing the tape (especially cheap tape) - a year down the line you'd probably have to use a solvent to clean it up. You'd be better off with gauze and a piece of masking tape if reversing it is important to you.

the kayodo mask and the sideshow helmet. boot armor boots and chest armor are from the kayodo. I bought the custom body suit off of a member on here a few years ago.

Hey guys! Luckily found a kaiyodo vader set over the weekend. I'm going to need some help from the expert modders before I start fiddling with this. Hope you guys don't mind enlightening some of my questions

1. Can you use acetone to remove the paint from vinyl?
2. Can you use oven bake clay to sculpt over vinyl? And can it be heated in an oven?
3. How'd you guys manage to cut off the chest armor from the body?
4. How'd you guys put a peg on the head sculpt to make it fit a 1/6 body?

Hey guys! Luckily found a kaiyodo vader set over the weekend. I'm going to need some help from the expert modders before I start fiddling with this. Hope you guys don't mind enlightening some of my questions

2. Can you use oven bake clay to sculpt over vinyl? And can it be heated in an oven?
4. How'd you guys put a peg on the head sculpt to make it fit a 1/6 body?

well I wouldn`t use any acetone on it or bake it as it might shrink. we all just used it straight up with out taking the paint off. as for the chest armor use an x-acto knife on it that`s what we used. and for the sculpt we used the ESB/ROTJ we used the non removable head that has the socket to fit over the body

No!!!!!! It will melt. Do not use thinners or acetone on vinyl EVER. Drop the parts in Simple Green for a few days and scrub them with a toothbrush. Simple green is the secret weapon of removing paint. It will not harm plastic and you can even forget your parts, come back much later and they will still be safe.

The type of heat that hardens sculpey could easily melt or permanently distort the part.

Warm the part up with a hair dryer or warm water and you will be able to work through the part with an xacto knife.

1.I learned the hard way that acetone will eat the vinyl. Fortunately the paint used by the original owner was so thick that I couldn't really get through it to the vinyl and the only damage was on the chin.

2. Aves apoxie sculpt. It air dries and is way sturdier than oven bake clay. Its fantastic.

3.be careful using the xacto knife. I cut a big chunk out of my thumb while cutting the armor. Not fun... AND the armor turned out unusable due to the thick goopy paintjob the original owner gave it.

4. havent figured this out myself yet. Mine is just resting on the SS vader body and looks fine but is not secure.

From what I can see, the paint job already looks nice, and you might just want to keep it that way. Would need to see more pics.

Wow thanks for all the advise guys. This is my first time customizing a figure to such a length.

@McHaleyArt yeah, I was actually surprised by the paint job. It looks a lot better in hand than it does in the picture. However, I'm thinking of re-sculpting some parts of the eyes, which would mean that I'd have to repaint the whole thing after.

I wish that I hadn't become so obsessed with getting "the perfect vader helmet" in 1/6 scale, because things seemed so much easier when I wasn't looking into all those little details :slap

Wow thanks for all the advise guys. This is my first time customizing a figure to such a length.

@McHaleyArt yeah, I was actually surprised by the paint job. It looks a lot better in hand than it does in the picture. However, I'm thinking of re-sculpting some parts of the eyes, which would mean that I'd have to repaint the whole thing after.

I wish that I hadn't become so obsessed with getting "the perfect vader helmet" in 1/6 scale, because things seemed so much easier when I wasn't looking into all those little details :slap

well good luck show pictures of your progress

I set up my SSC Vader (along with some other figures) today in my new "Vader" themed display.

8B1978C8-45DC-43A8-85A6-B38B10BE7A49_zps9u15agj2.jpg

526C7E06-E556-4FC8-887B-23F2D8A728D1_zpstc3p34ci.jpg

B87E875C-097B-4104-A77F-3F1AAE1B53C9_zpsysnlef9q.jpg

Finally got to cut out the chest plate from my kaiyodo kit. I'm still trying to figure out how to sit the head on the SS body, as I am not confident in removing the inner head piece from the stock masked SS Head. I used the hasbro dome in the pic.

What's the best way to detach the Anakin reveal head on the SS version? Is like to repair Anakin head then reinstall. Anyone have a helpful hint? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back