1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not alone... it's the worst thing about coming to these SW threads. :lol

We just can't stand to be educated by a superior intellect. :lol

Weer dumm.

Why not $1000? Or $5000? Clearly someone doesn't know basic business and economics principles if they're asking about $300 figures. Look up pricing elasticity some time. Or continue to post nonsense and throw personal attacks in the forum to see how far that gets you.

The ignore forum feature should really also work on quoted messages, but alas.

See how far it gets me? Looks like about 21,000 posts, bub.

Who da? And what's he doing with Skywalker's Tauntaun?
:lol

(outfit & TT looks great though)

Kinda looks like Samwise Skywalker! :lol

seanastinhobbit-thumb-550x413-14566.jpg

Actually I think the sculpt is great but I'm pretty sure the final product won't look nearly as good as that hand-painted prototype.

Those prototypes look very different than their regular prototypes, though. They actually look like production HT finishes. The skin tones are that same matte look, and particularly the eyes look like they are decals instead of painted, like HT does. Even the whites of the eyes look different than their normal eyes and more like HT eyes--more shiny and not so white.

I really think what we're seeing is a whole new different way of Sideshow doing human sculpts.

Well they have been collaborating with Hot Toys on these for awhile now so...

There has always been a lot of fantastic work in the original sculpts that come out of Sideshow, but unfortunately the lousy production paint jobs combined with the heads being considerably oversized has lead to a long history of crappy final human figures.

I continue to hope that this is Sideshow finally stepping up their game to the next level.

Those prototypes look very different than their regular prototypes, though. They actually look like production HT finishes. The skin tones are that same matte look, and particularly the eyes look like they are decals instead of painted, like HT does. Even the whites of the eyes look different than their normal eyes and more like HT eyes--more shiny and not so white.

I really think what we're seeing is a whole new different way of Sideshow doing human sculpts.
I believe Sideshow said the eyes are separate pieces with decals to give them more depth. Not PERS, thankfully. Also they mentioned the sculpts will be cast in the correct skin tones and then only minor shading added at that point, so they should look pretty polished hopefully.

I believe Sideshow said the eyes are separate pieces with decals to give them more depth. Not PERS, thankfully. Also they mentioned the sculpts will be cast in the correct skin tones and then only minor shading added at that point, so they should look pretty polished hopefully.

Interesting. Do you remember where you heard/read that?

I did wonder if that's how HT did their eyes, because they look so distinct and crisp from the rest of the cast head. Having them as separate pieces makes sense, and works best because most of the time it's sloppy painting around and in the eyes that kill otherwise decent paint apps.

Holy hell, I really want that to be true!

Interesting. Do you remember where you heard/read that?...
Yep, poster over at Rebelscum that went to SDCC asked a couple of Sideshow reps and got the same answer from both:

Turbowars @ Rebelscum Forum said:
Talked to 2 different ssc reps and they told me the head sculpts are 100% ssc and the eyes are not PERS, but the eyes are separate from the face to give depth.These new figures are being molded in correct skin tone and only shadow and pigment is being painted.

I'm loving these. I am a little disappointed that lukes hat isn't removable however, as the likeness looks great.

I'm loving these. I am a little disappointed that lukes hat isn't removable however, as the likeness looks great.

perhaps as with the Hot Toys Luke in Vader helmet sculpt, the "frame" helps make the likeness.

Yep, poster over at Rebelscum that went to SDCC asked a couple of Sideshow reps and got the same answer from both:

Originally Posted by Turbowars @ Rebelscum Forum
Talked to 2 different ssc reps and they told me the head sculpts are 100% ssc and the eyes are not PERS, but the eyes are separate from the face to give depth.These new figures are being molded in correct skin tone and only shadow and pigment is being painted.

Thanks, Invictus Sol.

I'm really excited about these. It's great that Sideshow is going in this direction with manufacturing their head sculpts. This could really put them on par with, or at least that much closer to, Hot Toys.

Back