1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoth Luke is already better than DX-07. If it survives production, it'll make HT look like old, cheap SSC.

Same goes for Hoth Han vs. HT Indy.

Hoth Luke is already better than DX-07. If it survives production, it'll make HT look like old, cheap SSC.
Slow down.. :lol

The likeness is better - sure, but relegating DX07 to the bottom of the barrel where early SSC figures reside? No ****ing way on earth by any stretch of the imagination mate.

It's a realistic looking portrait - just not an accurate Hamill one.

Yeah, if we're being honest about this, SSC has had some really nice sculpts, some done by no less than Trevor Grove. HT's sculpts. . .the BD one is pretty good, but the clean Luke is a miss IMO. A Hamill stunt double. But that's about where any advantage SSC has had with previous Lukes ends. HT wins in a landslide in terms of paint apps, accessories, clothing, and overall quality. I plan on getting these Hoth guys, but I don't expect to get the prototype. SSC has cut corners a lot over the years, and it is continuing with recent releases like their Boba Fett and Joker, so something's gonna give here. But hopefully the pros will outweigh the cons.

Yeah, if we're being honest about this, SSC has had some really nice sculpts, some done by no less than Trevor Grove. HT's sculpts. . .the BD one is pretty good, but the clean Luke is a miss IMO. A Hamill stunt double. But that's about where any advantage SSC has had with previous Lukes ends. HT wins in a landslide in terms of paint apps, accessories, clothing, and overall quality. I plan on getting these Hoth guys, but I don't expect to get the prototype. SSC has cut corners a lot over the years, and it is continuing with recent releases like their Boba Fett and Joker, so something's gonna give here. But hopefully the pros will outweigh the cons.

I tend to agree. I am most definitely more hopeful about these guys than I have been in the past, but it's good to have some healthy skepticism when it comes to Sideshow's final product.

I think a big clue as to how these will turn out will be how Commander Wolfe comes out, since he'll be the first figure they release with the new manufacturing technique.

The likeness is better - sure, but relegating DX07 to the bottom of the barrel where early SSC figures reside? No ****ing way on earth by any stretch of the imagination mate.

I agree. I also find it funny everything these days turns into a Hot Toys bashing.

Also, the DX07 is an impressive set overall. Two figures, one huge weather vane display, plus a decent amount of accessories. If it didn't have Hot Toys labeled on it we wouldn't be hearing as much negativity.

Of course it's an impressive set! :lol

HT' mostly great work speaks for itself - no bullet points required. That said, they do have their misses - & I've called those out too. Just commenting generally though - hacking on HT just to defend SSC, is ridiculous.

I'll praise SSC - or any other company for that matter, if the work is good. I have 3 of their good figures - & really dig them. Others - like some of their recent ones (to add insult to injury), are weak to say the least.

I agree. I also find it funny everything these days turns into a Hot Toys bashing.

Also, the DX07 is an impressive set overall. Two figures, one huge weather vane display, plus a decent amount of accessories. If it didn't have Hot Toys labeled on it we wouldn't be hearing as much negativity.

Agreed. Also the nitpicks on the HT sculpts, a large part of it has to do with the hair IMO. Take the wigs off and to me he really looks good. Those SSC protos are encased in nice fluffy fur, so the real proportions are not clearly visible.

To me SS is still king though. Yes, their humans s uck ball s, only have SS Emperor and Old Ben (other humans are HT Bespin Luke, ported Jedi Luke and UU Han), but the rest is topnotch.
I have begun acquiring the aliens and helmeted OT I missed, most of them look damn good. Too bad Greedo is so rare, he continues to elude me. Also really interested in seeing inhand pics of Vader.

Now to win the lottery so I can get Jabba on Throne, Palace Archway and Han in Carbonite environments. :lol

edit: would also like to know your opinions on Thrawn (with or without Throne), how is he inhand?

Well, I have to say that I was always impressed with Sideshows work in the early days of me collecting in 2008. I have been mostly happy with everything I've gotten from them, up to and including Boba Fett and the Tusken Raider, the last two figures I've gotten. The main reason is price. These SW figures started at what? $55 or thereabouts? I think their quality has for the most part matched the price. However, they are definitely pushing it nowadays, when their average figure is now +/- $150, and we all rightfully demand more. But even though the prices are very high, they are still not Hot Toys high. Hell, they're not even Big Chief Studios high with their Dr. Who and Sherlock figures coming in at $200+.

I think the new Han and Luke look incredibly promising and I hope the price point will come in at a reasonable level.

I'm not relegating it to equal status. I'm not crazy.

I'm just saying that the distance between the likenesses will be comparable.

However, realism aside, the Stormtrooper Luke resembles Hamill more than DX-07. :monkey3

Which HT figures are you alluding to - the ones from 2004? :lol

I'm certainly not implying that SSC Bossk is a horror.. but that one's an example of what I mentioned earlier. Even now - this late in the game, & they're still getting things wrong, or putting their own little spin on the character by making it look more stylized than screen accurate - & charging close to HT prices.

Similarly too with their upcoming Vader. Multiple things that are just plain wrong or poorly executed - & they want $300 for it. :lol

Last edited:
You could argue all day about the pros and cons of both HT and SSC, but time has shown that both companies have improved greatly over the years. And it'll be interesting to see how things progress in the years to come.

in short, HT is still the top dog, but SSC are getting better. it's win win for us all if that continues and SSC gets closer and closer to HT quality.

Where are you paying 300 for Vader?? :lol
Nowhere, cause I ain't interested. :lol Shipped to AUS, most places will be close to that.

Some much more recent horrors, such as POTC Angelica, Last Stand Wolverine, or the giraffe neck on Lt. Jim Gordon.
Classic hyperbole - all three of those are quality figures. Gordon aside, the likenesses may not be greater than 90% but that doesn't lessen their quality.

Then there was that Metal Gear Solid transsexual. Though I have no idea whether that was an accurate representation of the man/woman from the game!
I'm not up to speed on that one, I'll take your word for it. :lol

Agreed. Also the nitpicks on the HT sculpts, a large part of it has to do with the hair IMO. Take the wigs off and to me he really looks good. Those SSC protos are encased in nice fluffy fur, so the real proportions are not clearly visible.

To me SS is still king though. Yes, their humans s uck ball s, only have SS Emperor and Old Ben (other humans are HT Bespin Luke, ported Jedi Luke and UU Han), but the rest is topnotch.
I have begun acquiring the aliens and helmeted OT I missed, most of them look damn good. Too bad Greedo is so rare, he continues to elude me. Also really interested in seeing inhand pics of Vader.

Now to win the lottery so I can get Jabba on Throne, Palace Archway and Han in Carbonite environments. :lol

edit: would also like to know your opinions on Thrawn (with or without Throne), how is he inhand?

Sideshow is probably the best overall company at making collectibles, but that includes statues too. The early human's obviously are dated, but the creatures and Clones are cool. I have a cody, Bly, and Gree. I also have a Darth Maul and Palpatine.

SSC is one of my favorite figures. He's huge, but there's something I like about it.

Thrawn is actually what got me into collecting. He was my first 1/6 figure. I like his look. He's only been seen in comics for the most part so his likeness looks pretty good. I just managed to track down the Command Chair just a few months ago. It's a great piece. Sadly, since i'm getting into statues now too, I may have to part with some stuff including the chair, but I haven't decided yet. I actually have two Thrawn's now cause one came with the chair.

Here's the one pic of Vader right now. I still need to upload more

Thrawn and command chair

Back