12" Aragorn Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which has the sexiest "come hither" look?:lol

Nice compliation! That must've been a pain to put together!

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like a Customizer Menu?

I'm pleased to see mine holds up so well amongst all this talented company. At leat, I think it does. I've got two more in the pipeline that I expect will turn out MUCH better than this, my first experiment in Aragorn painting.

oh Mikey yours holds up just fine... it's funny I was thinking the same thing about mine.

Some excellent talent here..... and good that we can all improve the figure, but in all different ways. Each one looks distinct.... but the thing they all share os that they look better :D

some nice choice for the people asking for repaints there... lol

I loved seeing the different variations of Aragorn. Every custom has a different look and attitude. Keep up the great work everyone.

Thanks Xenoviper for the photomontage of Aragorn.

Thanks XV for that!! It's very cool to see my work up there with such esteemed company.

And it's true that we all have a different look, accomplished something unique with the sculpt. And it's interesting to see them all up there next to each other. I just wish I could take a few of the others styles....mix and match to make the perfect Aragorn.... :lol

That and I think my eyes are too blue.... looks strange next to the others... If I look at it too much I'll start picking my work apart...

What strikes me is the heretofore unspoken consensus among we painters that Aragorn's eyebrows needed to be lowered a touch.

And I DO plan on stealing a lot of the ideas I see here for my future work.

Hunky- your greys in his beard are stellar.

DA- I do not think your eyes are too blue. I think in this scale, the more striking you can make the eyes, the more alive he will look. Take a look at Ewan towards the end of ROTS. His eyes are practically black! But the figure would look odd if we painted him like that.

The more I see, the more I believe this sculpt was unjustly villified.

Customikey said:
What strikes me is the heretofore unspoken consensus among we painters that Aragorn's eyebrows needed to be lowered a touch.

And I DO plan on stealing a lot of the ideas I see here for my future work.

Hunky- your greys in his beard are stellar.

DA- I do not think your eyes are too blue. I think in this scale, the more striking you can make the eyes, the more alive he will look. Take a look at Ewan towards the end of ROTS. His eyes are practically black! But the figure would look odd if we painted him like that.

The more I see, the more I believe this sculpt was unjustly villified.

Yep lowering the eyebrow is the main key to reveal Viggo's likeness... i think i have lower as much as you can with my repaint... i was lazy to sand off the old eyebrow instead i have "putty" over the old eyebrow with thick semi dry paint :D

Thanks Mikey, that means a lot coming from someone as talented as you. And yeah, it's clear from these works above that the sculpt is just fine. (apart from his right eye which is higher than his left, and took some creative painting to lower his right and raise his left to even them out)

DA - i've been looking at it more since you mentioned it, and I don't think your eyes are too blue, I think it's the shade of blue. I made my eye colour out of a medium dark blue mixed with a medium dark green, to get a blue green (more towards the blue though) but it has to have some green in it i think otherwise you get that primary blue look you dont like.

the colours i used were (if its any use to anybody) Phthalocanine blue - Sap Green. Just from a cheap acrylic art set, small tubes.

I made the blue green, used that to paint the whole iris, then when dry i mixed some white into it, and painted the lighter ring around the bottom half of the iris before dotting the usual black.

so your eyes are fine DA, i think they're just a bit primary coloured which is what's throwing you off. You've got his beard shape just about perfect though... so dont be too hard on yourself with the eyes. As we all know... eyes are a pain in the arse! lol

and Xeno... thanks for doing this, I keep coming back to this thread to look at that collection, I love seeing them all together, all very different... yet all looking way way better than the original. Well done fellas!

EDIT:

I've made up a quick pic from my existing pics, zoomed in on the eyes showing the colour. The top two are closer to the real colour, the others were under a desk lamp that gives off a very yellow light... but you can kind of see the eye colour still

And i'm aware that showing pics this big shows up all the faults on my eyes... lol, but for you lot I'm above that, anything to help the fellow customizers out there. (and i put the tiny eye at the bottom to remind people that that's more the actual size... people often forget that when criticizing custom repaints)

aragorn13.jpg

Thanks CM and HA.... Yeah, I too think it turned out more of a primary blue than I wanted, and that was my problem with it... I seriously need a lamp. My painting room has lighting from a standard room bulb that gives off a yellowish light that throws me off time to time color wise. If I paint at night, I think I have it.... until the morning rolls around and then I realize that I F'ed up. :lol

And yeah, I think that we all realized the eyebrows were key to getting this sculpt to look more like Viggo. The likeness is so much better once you do that.

Thanks for the beard comments HA... Your beard is seriously immaculate... fantastic work, so any praise from you there is very appreciated. I can't wait to see your Obi-Wan! :D

My standard base color for the iris is a very lioght gray, which is then mixed with a very small amount of the target eye color. I think that helps give it the lightness it needs in order to pop out more.

wofford29 said:
His name is Liu, and he goes by skwerl over at the onesixthwarriors board. He really is one of the best around and his prices are very competitive.

Liu is definitely one of the best, and nice guy, too!

I like his Aragorn repaint so much !.

Back