12" Clone Wars Obi-Wan in CLONE ARMOR!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why the Prometheus body? I thought Obi-Wan was coming on the armor body.

Well I'm sure the armor and Prometheus use the same neck joint, just the body itself will differ, I can't think of any troops with anything but cloth on the necks.

021408_newbody01.jpg

Looks like the same neck to me.

That portrait (according to Trevor) was originally sculpted for the Buck. But it has been altered for the PRO.

Almost makes me think AOTC was the originally planned figure, if it was made for the buck, armored figure could not have been the intent.

My guess is, the way things timed, once the AOTC portrait was ready, so was the armored body and armor, they probably originally were working towards a Clone Trooper, then decided to launch armor and time the release with CW in theaters with a CW figure. My guess is AOTC Obi-Wan is a certainty and at this point, it's just a matter of when.

If and when the AOTC obi Wan is released , I hope the exclusive is an extra head with his wet slicked hair look from Kamino.

My guess is, either they do a fresh portrait like that, or they don't include a second head. They don't seem to do multiple heads unless it favors the overall figure like Indy's hat issue, they did it with Asajj because of the strong differences between the cartoon and realistic portrait, but I doubt for AOTC Obi-Wan they'd feel any need to offer a second portrait.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The head sculpt is spot on. Let them spend the time and money on EP1 Obi or EP2 Anakin.

When the figure was first previewed, it was already acknowledged and discussed ad nauseam by several forum members that the hairline needed modification. I was not a part of this discussion, but agreed with their sentiments.

Perhaps the sculpt is depicting the wig that you guys mention. But I would like to see a screen cap of a hairstyle matching the sculpt. Usually a person's hair line is straight across or a widow's peak in the middle. From the movie stills posted here, Ewan's hairline appears to be straight across.

I want to emphasize that I'm not criticizing Trevor's artistic talent in any way. Have you guys seen his Indiana Jones watercolor Topps cards?:google He is one of the finest artists at Sideshow IMO and is responsible for a lot of sell out figures because of his fine attention to detail replicating all of that detail in 1:6 (AND 1:9 :horror) scale.

Last edited:
I could see the head being re-used easily for an AOTC robed version as a con exclusive ala SDCC Darth Vader (re-using/re-painting Anakin).

Nothin' wrong with that...

Well I'm sure the armor and Prometheus use the same neck joint, just the body itself will differ, I can't think of any troops with anything but cloth on the necks.

021408_newbody01.jpg

Looks like the same neck to me.

Lets hope with the new Prometheus body, days of the monkey arms problem are over.:wacky

Perhaps the sculpt is depicting the wig that you guys mention. But I would like to see a screen cap of a hairstyle matching the sculpt. Usually a person's hair line is straight across or a widow's peak in the middle. From the movie stills posted here, Ewan's hairline appears to be straight across.

Ewan's hairline has a slight curve in the forehead. I know that was one of the spots Darren tweaked on the ROTS portrait and it is missing on the AOTC portrait. In my eyes, it is about 5% of the overall details of the portrait, and so minutely off it's not worth screwing with another take on AOTC Obi-Wan with the chance that the other 95% comes out lesser. If they had Trev tweak it a slight bit on the hairline, that's all fine and dandy, but to me, this is THE AOTC Obi-Wan portrait, it's the right look to represent him from that film and I genuinely dread an alternate interpretation turning out to be something lesser, which is why I'm getting 2 CW Obi-Wan's, if they do an AOTC figure with another portrait and I am dissappointed, I'll have the head I want on it.

Here's a comparison of the figure hair to images from AOTC that it most closely matches, I like that Trev didn't make it clean and added a little messed up look to the part area to make him seem involved in action instead of all pretty from the photocall.

obicomps.jpg

Yup, if it aint broke don't fix it. These are the kind of nit picks I find just not worth the time. Nobody outside of a very few select anal fans will know. I really like SW and honestly I probably couldn't pick it out myself.

I probably wouldn't pick up on it if Obi-Wan, and particularly Ewan as Obi-Wan, weren't such a big point of fandom with me and I hadn't drawn so many pictures of him over the years, but when you do that, you pick up on all of the subtleties in order to get it right.

Again, to me, the variation in the hairline is so minutely off, it's not worth worry, the rest of the portrait is so beautiful and that's what's importatnt to me, the face, the emotional expression and the hairstyle, which is the best style to capture.

Right but how many have done that or are THAT into it? I'm sure its a few but like you said not enough to really make it worth messing something up.

I never noticed Fett's armor was different between ESB and ROTJ, I guarantee I never in a million years would have noticed that the hairline was off.

Guys, it is a beautiful portrait. The proportions in his face couldn't be better. However, I certainly didn't have to analyze the image to notice the hairline. I think we, as humans, are born with an instinct to recognize human faces. Facial feature recognition occurs in milliseconds. It doesn't take any effort to recognize unnatural aberrations. That is why, for instance, it is so damn hard to make convincing CGI in live action movies.

In all likelihood, it is the paint that is throwing it off.

I don't know Justin. You tend to be one that really looks at things like this that nobody else really is going to care about. I notice things about people quite easily but I never picked up on any issue with the hairline and honestly still don't see it still. From watching you I think you tend to analyze things and pick them apart. I wonder sometimes for you how much fun collecting can be.

Well, sometimes there are things wrong with a likeness which people can't identify, but which ruin the likeness. Maybe few of us would identify the hairline issue consciously, but it could contribute to our brain failing to process the likeness.

To be fair, there are people who felt Hasbro likenesses were satisfactory enough and likewise there are people who feel that SSC ANH Obi Wan isn't good enough.

Back