12" Clone Wars Obi-Wan in CLONE ARMOR!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, sometimes there are things wrong with a likeness which people can't identify, but which ruin the likeness. Maybe few of us would identify the hairline issue consciously, but it could contribute to our brain failing to process the likeness.

Absolutely, recognition of a face is all about the various elements coming together and it is possible to be off in just one area but have it be either a critical area or so far off it doesn't matter how good the rest is because the issue dominates.

That's why I say the exact shape of the hairline on this figure is minute because of how minimally it's off and how little it has to do with the overall look. Paint apps will be the make or break of likeness on this portrait.

To be fair, there are people who felt Hasbro likenesses were satisfactory enough and likewise there are people who feel that SSC ANH Obi Wan isn't good enough.

I almost forgot how horrible those likenesses are! I was helping my mom clean out her attic and found my old Hasbro 12" figures. So the next day I brought my SS Jedi Luke and showed her to them side by side and asked if now she understands why I spend more on Sideshow. Well she said she sees why the extra money is worth it...but then said she doesn't see why I spend money at all on it. :banghead :lol

I once posted the question concerning the reuse of Clone Wars Obi-wan head sculpt in the Q n A section on the SSC website, they did hint that it is possible.

Last edited:
Last night, I asked my gf what she thought of the sculpt. She could care less about Sideshow and doesn't want to hear anything about it ever. Believe me.

I simply opened the jpeg from Sideshow's site (too bad they got rid of the hi res version) and displayed it in Window's Photo Gallery.

After coaxing her to even look at the screen:

ME: What do you think of Obiwan?

GF: What's up with his hair?

ME: What do you mean?

GF: His hair looks weird.

ME: What do you mean by that?

GF: His hairline looks jagged. His hairline is receding back on the left, but there is a tuft of hair jutting out of his forehead.

So there you go. I think the issue isn't anything about likeness or how closely the hairline matches Ewan's. It's that the hairline doesn't match any shape of a natural human's and that is why it is noticeable like wig. Although I never knew Ewan wore a wig in the films.

I just love the "spouse/friend/coworker that has no interest in anything" argument that always comes up in favor of the poster/arguer.

I like the sculpt. Hairline looks great to me. Stylized. It actually looks better than the crappy wig from the film.

If it doesn't get fixed no bother, but JL and his GF are right. It's a section of hair that is jutting out on his forehead. It's very odd.

I just love the "spouse/friend/coworker that has no interest in anything" argument that always comes up in favor of the poster/arguer.

And it stood out like a sore thumb too. :lol Maybe girl's notice things like that. :dunno

I know it sounds contrived, but I promise you that I made sure not to say anything that would influence her reply. I just asked what she thought of the Obi-wan portrait in the pic. Of course, way back when I showed her Jedi Luke, she instantly replied "Why does it look like he just saw a ghost?". It may be true, but it's not the best thing to hear right after I paid good money for him. ;)

Last edited:
Honestly, I really don't think as negative as it may come across in some of my posts. If I didn't like what I saw, I would not purchase the Sideshow products or spend time on this forum. I perceive things that may be improved upon, but that certainly does not detract me from enjoying the overall piece. If I critique something, I don't sit there agonizing over it.

Well I had my neighbors wife's daughter who is friends with the janitor at circle K to get his sister who doesn't know what star wars is but saved 15% on her car insurance to look at this pic and she just opened her shirt and exposed her bewbs for some reason, so that tells me the sculpt looks right and that unless you are going to give sideshow selveral hundreds of thousands of dollars that everyone here just needs to STFU from now on on sculpts, paint and for the love of all that his holy, new bodies.

obis.jpg

Honestly, I really don't think as negative as it may come across in some of my posts. If I didn't like what I saw, I would not purchase the Sideshow products or spend time on this forum. I perceive things that may be improved upon, but that certainly does not detract me from enjoying the overall piece. If I critique something, I don't sit there agonizing over it.

I was just joshing. I do want to make that clear.

I'm sure you're not a negative person. I just think sometimes you analyze things to the point I wonder if you're having any fun. You probably are but things like this where you're going over just how tiny the hair might be off. There is everything perfect about that sculpt but you still looked for something.

Back