Anakin Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DarthRamuk said:
I wouldn't want to do anything to my Anakin but when I posed him beside Luke, damned, the over-the-top pain appl is so glaring! :monkey2

Exactly what mikey said, wait till the other figs roll out, it will look even worse, that's why I hope they correct this mistake for the Sith Ani. Won't be very cool to have Obi-Wan fighting a Sith Ani with red lips, it will completely distract from his Sith eyes.

IrishJedi said:
Oh, I saw that and I'm indeed tempted to do so. I just assumed that he's already swamped with those requests and didn't want to add to that. I'm crazy enough to try it myself... I'd just like to know which paints to use exactly and how they should be mixed, etc.

Well, Irish... I could help a bit and share some trade secrets.. :lol

I used a mixture of "Warm skin tone", "Burnt Sienna" and "Base skin tone", all Testor's acrylic paints. It takes a little bit of hit and miss until you find the color tone you like, but just keep trying until you are sure before painting anything.

Once you've gotten the color right... just brush it on very lightly, almost with a dry brush technique (at least this worked for me)

I followed mine up with a very light dry brushing of a darker shade to soften the look a bit.. Follow that up with just a touch of clear gloss and you are done.

And Khev to answer your question I just mixed up some paint... brown, yellow , orange and white until I had a good "highlights" shade to brush into the hair and eyebrows.... just to lighten it up. Not too much though, because the hair made me a little nervous. :lol

DarkArtist81 said:

I used a mixture of "Warm skin tone", "Burnt Sienna" and "Base skin tone", all Testor's acrylic paints. It takes a little bit of hit and miss until you find the color tone you like, but just keep trying until you are sure before painting anything.

Once you've gotten the color right... just brush it on very lightly, almost with a dry brush technique (at least this worked for me)

I followed mine up with a very light dry brushing of a darker shade to soften the look a bit.. Follow that up with just a touch of clear gloss and you are done.

And Khev to answer your question I just mixed up some paint... brown, yellow , orange and white until I had a good "highlights" shade to brush into the hair and eyebrows.... just to lighten it up. Not too much though, because the hair made me a little nervous. :lol

DA, when can we see pics of your enhanced Anakin? I want to see the effects before I attempt anything on my Anakin figure. Thanks.

DarthRamuk said:
DA, when can we see pics of your enhanced Anakin? I want to see the effects before I attempt anything on my Anakin figure. Thanks.

I just posted it in this thread yesterday... But here they are again, if you missed them...

112860149RL691374477.jpg

112860187RL683774498.jpg

112860196RL155177996.jpg

112860172RL074549919.jpg

DarthRamuk said:
Thanks DA. Sorry if I had missed it. Must be the damned Kurgan army. Oops.....you are one of them!:lol

:rotfl :rotfl No problem.... Yeah, I'm part of the crusade... but really... I like to think of myself as the Consigliare of sorts... Try to keep the peace. Much more subtle and calm about it all... :D

slightly off topic, but how is everyone tucking the shirt sleeve in to Anakin's glove hand? i ended up just rolling it up. are people sewing it? thanks for the help.

I read that someone tore the hand off the arm. How hard, and how destructive is this to do?

FOr the love of God dont tear the glove off. There are less invasive ways of dealing with the problem. Here is the tutorial. Irish posted it a few pages back, but here it is again:
0007385.jpg

0007386.jpg

0007387.jpg

0007388.jpg

0007389.jpg

0007390.jpg

h/t Dave Myatt of Rebelscum.com for the tutorial

JustinLuck said:
I read that someone tore the hand off the arm. How hard, and how destructive is this to do?

well the glove is glued to the forearm, so i didn't even want to attempt to try removing it.

pixletwin said:
FOr the love of God dont tear the glove off. There are less invasive ways of dealing with the problem. Here is the tutorial. Irish posted it a few pages back, but here it is again:
0007385.jpg

0007386.jpg

0007387.jpg

0007388.jpg

0007389.jpg

0007390.jpg

h/t Dave Myatt of Rebelscum.com for the tutorial

COOL. thanks for posting it again.

DarkArtist81 said:

Thanks, DA! So you used a clear gloss to coat/seal it? It doesn't look all that glossy in your pics. Or is that just because it is applied lightly?

Also, do you recommend any particular type/brand of brushes?

RoboDad said:
Thanks, DA! So you used a clear gloss to coat/seal it? It doesn't look all that glossy in your pics. Or is that just because it is applied lightly?

Also, do you recommend any particular type/brand of brushes?

I applied it very lightly, but now upon looking at it again... It might do for another coat.. Just did not want to overshine it.. :lol

As for brushes... I'm actually still trying to figure this out as well. I use Testor's hobby brushes, but I really would rather have something better. Mikey might know more about that... I've actually been trying to remember to ask him about that.

any fine tipped soft hobby brush will do, but I'm sure that there are better brushes out there somewhere....:D

pixletwin said:
I am willing to pay Customikey $15 just to put up a tutorial on how to paint his lips and what color. (seriously).

That's silly talk. DA and I both found different ways of doing it that were satisfactory. Anyone can do this, I think. Just experiment with it on another figure first.

As to how I did it, I applied a coat of Model Master Acryl Warm Skin Tone, let dry, then brushed a coat of powdered acrylic chalk (no name, but it was sort of brick-ish) until iwas happy with the shading. Then a bit of clear gloss acryl. By the way, the clear gloss acryl from Model Master is non-tacky. Perfect for shining up shoes and armor.

Do it for yourself! Or send it to me, and I'll be glad to do it. Pretty sure DA isn't above taking money for his work either.

I don't think it's a secret how to do it, I just think a lot of people lack the confidence to try it themselves.

Last edited:
Customikey said:
That's silly talk. DA and I both found different ways of doing it that were satisfactory. Just experiment with it on another figure first.

Or send it to me, and I'll be glad to do it. Pretty sure DA isn't above taking money for his work either. :D

:monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5

DAMN STRAIGHT! Even I Gotta eat.... :lol

Mikey is exactly right.. just give it a shot on something and see if you can do it. If you can, hey... you save money AND you get a figure that you'll enjoy more. If not.. you can always contact either of us... :cool:

DarkArtist81 said:
As for brushes... I'm actually still trying to figure this out as well. I use Testor's hobby brushes, but I really would rather have something better. Mikey might know more about that... I've actually been trying to remember to ask him about that.

any fine tipped soft hobby brush will do, but I'm sure that there are better brushes out there somewhere....:D

Y'know it's funny. I'm a make-do sort of guy. I don't require super-expensive brushes to do work. I agree, any fine-tipped brush will do. Just take care of your brushes, and if you are going to use a dry-brush technique, don't use the same fine brushes that you would use for detail work. Dry-brushing ruins brushes. I have specific brushes I use for dybrushing, that would never be useful for anything but.

Customikey said:
Y'know it's funny. I'm a make-do sort of guy. I don't require super-expensive brushes to do work. I agree, any fine-tipped brush will do. Just take care of your brushes, and if you are going to use a dry-brush technique, don't use the same fine brushes that you would use for detail work. Dry-brushing ruins brushes. I have specific brushes I use for dybrushing, that would never be useful for anything but.

Thanks for the tips Mikey... I started with just 2 brushes and they are already getting pretty worn. I'll have to get another set for details and heed your advice.

Back