Anakin Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's different that's for sure. Now, is it bad? No, I don't think it is. Is it as good as it could have been? No, I'd say it comes up a little short when compared to the pics from TF.

Darth Loki said:
I think that says it all Tom.
Not quite.

While some things are still obviously off the difference in quality between the two photos is so vast that I'm still refraining from coming to any solid conclusions.

The Toy Fair pics were all taken by Rebelscum's Dave Myatt. And that cat knows how to photograph stuff (especially using macro). I'm curious to see his pics of the production Anakin next to the ones he took at Toy Fair. That will be the REAL, definitive comparison, not these terrible photos.

IrishJedi said:
While some things are still obviously off the difference in quality between the two photos is so vast that I'm still refraining from coming to any solid conclusions.

I'm with ya. It's different. How different? Well, have to wait and get it to find that out before I can comment on just how different. Just compairing those pics as I said it might come up a little short but until I get it I won't be able to say how short for me personally.

IrishJedi said:
Not quite.

The Toy Fair pics were all taken by Rebelscum's Dave Myatt. And that cat knows how to photograph stuff (especially using macro). I'm curious to see his pics of the production Anakin next to the ones he took at Toy Fair. That will be the REAL, definitive comparison, not these terrible photos.

Well said. I can't wait for when pics of Obiwan start to come out of Hong Kong to see the boards go through all this again. :google

Also, keep in mind that Dave's pics of the Luke figure were basically the only ones (including SSC's own official pics) that even came close to doing the sculpt justice. So comparing his shots of the Toy Fair Anakin to these completely amateurish ones and drawing any conclusions based on that would be silly.

Still hard to tell about the detail of the sculpt, sometimes detail is lost or original mold is completely distorted in the actual molding/curing process (e.g. Willow, Vamp Buffy). But it now seems somewhat clear the Quality Control vis a vis the paint apps didn't match the Toyfair display figure.

STILL reserving judgment for Judgment Day later this week.

The difference in quality between the two pictures is obvious. However, I really don't think you can honestly say that a better camera or picture is going to make the first Anakin come out somehow looking exactly like the second.

The Anakin that is shipping will be... acceptable. It will not be excellent, like the Toy Fair sample. But it will be acceptable. And what's really so bad about being acceptable? I am happy to be getting an adequate Anakin. He will definitely be satisfactory. Decent. Sufficient.

Now, when the $300 PF Anakin comes out, I will expect him to be exceptional.

I don't think anyone is claiming that a better picture would make the Anakin in the newer pic look EXACTLY like the Toy Fair one. Obviously there are some differences. However... the extent of the differences (and quality of the final figure) simply cannot be judged by these latest pics, especially in comparison to the ones Dave took at TF.

And I may be stoned for saying this, but what the heck: even the Anakin figures in these latest, underwhelming, pics look better than the PF Dagobah Luke prototype to me.

IrishJedi said:
I don't think anyone is claiming that a better picture would make the Anakin in the newer pic look EXACTLY like the Toy Fair one. Obviously there are some differences. However... the extent of the differences (and quality of the final figure) simply cannot be judged by these latest pics, especially in comparison to the ones Dave took at TF.

I think most agree about picture quality issues but many must be wondering: The Actual Luke was fairly accurately represented by the Toyfair Luke and it seems it may not be the case here with Anakin, but the Jury is still out...

The massively dark, caterpillar eyebrows, solid red lips, and unforgivingly dark hair are really bringing the sculpt down...

Perhaps?

cpl0527md.jpg

tomandshell said:

I would have rather paid more for the 1/6 Anakin if it allowed a paint job as good as the TF pics...

JustinLuck said:
The massively dark, caterpillar eyebrows, solid red lips, and unforgivingly dark hair are really bringing the sculpt down...

Andy Bergholtz did a phenomenal original Anakin sculpt, it would surely be unfortunate if this was the third of his sculpts that have now met their fate with Quality Control issues in a land far, far away...

Let's hope it's not the case because this is truly a great figure SSC is putting out.

JustinLuck said:
That "unforgivingly dark hair" is the same hue (as far as I can tell) as the SDCC Vader...
2139_press06-001.jpg

tomandshell said:
The difference in quality between the two pictures is obvious. However, I really don't think you can honestly say that a better camera or picture is going to make the first Anakin come out somehow looking exactly like the second.

The Anakin that is shipping will be... acceptable. It will not be excellent, like the Toy Fair sample. But it will be acceptable. And what's really so bad about being acceptable? I am happy to be getting an adequate Anakin. He will definitely be satisfactory. Decent. Sufficient.

As long as he doesn't have the first Mulder from the X-Files line paint job then I will be happy. The paint job on him was horrible, he looked like a poor drag queen.:google :duh

I simply don't know what to make of all these photos going around. I'll wait to see the final product in hand. I can't imagine that the TF Anakin we've seen will end up coming to us like the new "Geisha lip" Anakin photos.

Wor-Gar said:
I simply don't know what to make of all these photos going around. I'll wait to see the final product in hand. I can't imagine that the TF Anakin we've seen will end up coming to us like the new "Geisha lip" Anakin photos.

Ditto. I really wanted this of all the pending star wars figures to be a real homerun. I am seriously hoping he's going to arrive next week and I am going to be blown away. Not looking good though. I hope I am wrong. I mean, I really really really hope I am wrong.

tomandshell said:

Tom I guess for some people "acceptable" is ok. There's always the "well it's better than Hasblo" arguement too. Posts like " what do you expect for $50?" as well. I don't expect it to be perfect. But I do expect it to look like the picture on the website I ordered it from. I expect it to look like the picture on the box. I know there is a big custom community out there as well, but I don't expect to have to repaint it for it to look good either.

It's just incredibly frustrating to see such awesome preview pics and then see pics of this make-up wearing Trannykin Skywalker. Sorry to be negative, and I am in no way trying to target or bash you or your post Tom, so please please don't take offense at my negativity.

Again I seriously hope this figure arrives and looks awesome and that all this worry is for naught. I am thrilled with Luke and I saw some bad pics of him. Lets all hold hands and sing Kumbayah and hope that this is the case here.:D

Back