ASMUS TOYS : Aragorn @ The Battle of Helm's Deep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asmus I would recommend elongating the chin a bit, this will make the face look more gaunt and accentuate the cheekbones like others keep suggesting.

And this is why they will never be able to make everyone happy. No two people can agree on what he looks like.

This is true. I feel like they should have their own idea of what Aragorn should look like, take minor suggestions just enough to satisfy majority and call it a day. I will be happy with the first Aragorn in my collection. Keep up the great work Asmus!

This is crazy. I agree with some of the points about elongating the face a bit and sharper cheeks, but everyone has their own little gripe...this needs to be changed or that needs to be tweaked. And then you still have those who love to say, "this looks nothing like him". Stop it. That's nonsense. You know exactly who it is when you see the sculpt.

People can look different from one picture to the next. Maybe there needs to be a vote on which picture should be the reference. If the sculpt matches that picture...done.

I personally wonder why it can't come out like this
20da861cce7996f653c32430ac71992d.jpg

Viggo's face may look different in different scene and with different lighting.
ways-aragorn-got-worse-lord-of-the-rings-featured.jpg

He has a quite broad face and very sharp cheekbone part. This is what is not perfectly captured in the sculpt. And that is why it may look so different.
aragorn-lotr-character.jpg

Some people like that digital sculpt, but it is far from perfect, yet because eyes and nose are those features that we look at first, if you make these right it "catches" the character, even if there are minor problems with lower jaw or something like that.
This wallpaper is perfect for the eye position/form and the nose reference:
Viggo-Mortensen-as-Aragorn.jpg

And this is the reference for a comparison:
aragorn small talk.jpg
attachment.php

The sculpt is actually pretty good, but his cheeks are too full. Face proportions are there, but these not pronounced cheeks take it away. And there is something in his eyebrows that takes a bit away (but it can be the paint too). I am not sure about his nose, but it is 95% there for sure.

Do not know, if it actually helps.

A lot of the issue could very well just be the paint. How many times have we seen an unpainted sculpt look spot on and after paint work it either looks terrible or looks great?

This is one I may send off to a painter as I think that may be the issue. That and I'll add real hair which [no offense to Asmus] I'm never impressed with their sculpted hair pieces.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I personally wonder why it can't come out like this
20da861cce7996f653c32430ac71992d.jpg

Nose is far too bulbous on this one. If the brow was furrowed I think that the upper and lower half are strong. Needs more butt-chin.

I do think Asmus us on the right track with showing teeth in the sculpt though. If you look at denrep's post below that's a very Viggo expression he makes a lot.

I absolutely agree with the nose & butt chin points you stated, but still it looks more passable than the head sculpt initially being presented

Nose is far too bulbous on this one. If the brow was furrowed I think that the upper and lower half are strong. Needs more butt-chin.

I do think Asmus us on the right track with showing teeth in the sculpt though. If you look at denrep's post below that's a very Viggo expression he makes a lot.

A lot of the issue could very well just be the paint. How many times have we seen an unpainted sculpt look spot on and after paint work it either looks terrible or looks great?

Yup the more I look at it, the more I believe its mostly a paint issue.

Yes his cheekbones could be more defined but the shape of the face is there. I just go with what I'm automatically drawn to when I compare with screen stills its the eyes, brows and beard which could probably all come out looking much more like the battle damaged promo with the right paint job. The nose might need remolding slightly and I guess if they're doing that then they might as well have a go with the cheekbones.

Asmus you have done an admirable job of letting everyone weigh in...unfortunately you could put 3 photos of the actual Viggo Mortensen in a row and not be able to get a lot of folks on any forum to agree that any of them actually look anything like him.
If you try to please everyone you will end up pleasing no one because the figure will never be finished because it will never look enough like him to everyone.
Time to wrap it up and release your best effort.
A lot of us will be buying it based upon that.

Asmus you have done an admirable job of letting everyone weigh in...unfortunately you could put 3 photos of the actual Viggo Mortensen in a row and not be able to get a lot of folks on any forum to agree that any of them actually look anything like him.
If you try to please everyone you will end up pleasing no one because the figure will never be finished because it will never look enough like him to everyone.
:lecture :exactly: :goodpost:

This latest update looks a whole lot better than the promotional sculpt and it seems like it only took some minor tweaks and a different approach to the painting. I’d buy the deluxe now/after my next pay day but if Asmus are open to slightly sharpening the cheekbones and sucking in part of the cheek near the back of his jaw so the jaw muscles are more visible then It’d be cool to se how that effects things. I might bring the chin outwards a tiny bit so it comes to more of a point But I’m seeing an Aragorn that I’d be proud to display now so as soon as Asmus settles on a sculpt I think I’m back in.
Hope the side-glancing eyes and battle damage will still be applied to this/the final sculpt. That’ll make the perfect Helms Deep Aragorn for me.

Thanks for the hard work, Asmus and for putting more effort into community engagement than any other company.

:exactly::goodpost:

I feel like part of the problem here was putting it up for sale before at least showing the sculpt off in a WIP manner. A lot of people have chimed in all over social media that they hate the sculpt and won't buy it until it is fixed. Now there is a lot more pressure on Asmus to nail it to keep their customers happy. Releasing any old sculpt now simply won't do if they want to actually sell the product to as many people as they can as not everyone will simply buy anything just because it has LOTR in the description. I'm 20 figures in to my Asmus LOTR collection so at this point I'm picking up as much as I can but for the regular fan who maybe just wants a good Aragorn for their display, they may decide to pass on it until a better version is released and that doesn't make much business sense when the aim is to shift this version now.

I hope Asmus do nail it and I feel like a lot of the comments here have been very constructive rather than nit picking. We all want it to be the best it can be and they have already proven they can release an amazing sculpt when they want to (Elrond, Theoden), so taking steps back by releasing any old thing is an unnecessary gamble.

Back