Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t believe people aren’t liking the dark and serious tone from this. Two of the most popular superheroes of all time are going to duke it out and people want the movie to be colorful, and lighthearted?

Based on the that trailer, I’m loving the direction WB/DC is going with this movie. The tone is serious, but they’re embracing the comics, which is something MOS failed to do in my opinion. Not all superhero movies need to be huge action flicks with subpar acting and constant whine liners, I hope this turns out well so that WB/DC can offer comic book fans an alternative to the lighthearted, pure entertainment films that Marvel has been putting out.

I loved the new trailer. It fits the tone I wanted. And the story elements we get to see are interesting. I like the direction this shows DC is headed. I can't wait to go to the screening near me on Monday.

Based on the that trailer, I’m loving the direction WB/DC is going with this movie. The tone is serious, but they’re embracing the comics, which is something MOS failed to do in my opinion. Not all superhero movies need to be huge action flicks with subpar acting and constant whine liners, I hope this turns out well so that WB/DC can offer comic book fans an alternative to the lighthearted, pure entertainment films that Marvel has been putting out.
It didn't actually, MoS had just as many nods to the the comicbooks as any of the other franchises.

I know, I'm glad DC is going dark and serious, if there's a company to do it, that's DC and it's completely appropriate, if I could choose between Whedon or Snyder/Good writers for the DCCU, I would not chose Whedon, I do NOT want DC characters making dumb meme one liners, not all of them at least, maybe Flash/Shazam, and I don't want neutered boring action and generic stories and villains (Zod was more effective than 80% of the MCU villains), disposable entertainment in general (there are exceptions in the MCU of course), besides, I bet the movie won't be as dark as the trailer.

It didn't actually, MoS had just as many nods to the the comicbooks as any of the other franchises.

I know, I'm glad DC is going dark and serious, if there's a company to do it, that's DC and it's completely appropriate, if I could choose between Whedon or Snyder/Good writers for the DCCU, I would not chose Whedon, I do NOT want DC characters making dumb meme one liners, not all of them at least, maybe Flash/Shazam, and I don't want neutered boring action and generic stories and villains (Zod was more effective than 80% of the MCU villains), disposable entertainment in general (there are exceptions in the MCU of course), besides, I bet the movie won't be as dark as the trailer.

:clap:goodpost: You are totally correct, that Whedon's tone and zinger filled dialogue would fill out of place in the DCU unless it was a character like Shazam. My only disappointment in DC adapting TDKR in parts, is that since at the end of this film Batman and Superman need to form an alliance that will lead to the creation of the Justice League, I won't get to hear Batman tell Superman he wants him to remember the one man who beat him.

Can’t believe people aren’t liking the dark and serious tone from this. Two of the most popular superheroes of all time are going to duke it out and people want the movie to be colorful, and lighthearted?

they want this, people want this:

Even I was surprised by how dark it looked. It makes AOU look like a Pixar film. :lol But I like it, and it's different from any other Superman or superhero film I've seen. The idea that some people worship him like a god and others hate him, it's interesting. I'm guessing that by the end of the film, he'll be loved by everyone...or maybe by the time Justice League ends, he won't be such a polarizing figure.

:clap:goodpost: You are totally correct, that Whedon's tone and zinger filled dialogue would fill out of place in the DCU unless it was a character like Shazam. My only disappointment in DC adapting TDKR in parts, is that since at the end of this film Batman and Superman need to form an alliance that will lead to the creation of the Justice League, I won't get to hear Batman tell Superman he wants him to remember the one man who beat him.
And I doubt they could even get Shazam right, hell, they can't get Thor right, Thor doesn't feel like a god in the MCU at all, it's a very weak iteration on all fronts if you ask me, and Thor is the closest thing to a DC-ish character from Marvel.

It's ok for me since Batman and Superman never go at each other like that in the main continuities, it's always mind control and stuff like that...

Even I was surprised by how dark it looked. It makes AOU look like a Pixar film. :lol But I like it, and it's different from any other Superman or superhero film I've seen. The idea that some people worship him like a god and others hate him, it's interesting. I'm guessing that by the end of the film, he'll be loved by everyone...or maybe by the time Justice League ends, he won't be such a polarizing figure.

He will be the martyr, the one who saves the day in the end, you'll see.

Btw, the worshiping thing isn't really new, he has had cults of Superman worshipers, in the comics, there was a cult once, of people whose practices included jumping from buildings in Metropolis so Superman would catch them :lol

I think the dark scenes are dream sequences much like in MOS when Supes was being swallowed up by the skulls and Zod was killing Supes. That was shown in the MOS trailer too.

And I doubt they could even get Shazam right, hell, they can't get Thor right, Thor doesn't feel like a god in the MCU at all, it's a very weak iteration on all fronts if you ask me, and Thor is the closest thing to a DC-ish character from Marvel.

It's ok for me since Batman and Superman never go at each other like that in the main continuities, it's always mind control and stuff like that...

Btw, the worshiping thing isn't really new, he has had cults of Superman worshipers, in the comics, there was a cult once, of people whose practices included jumping from buildings in Metropolis so Superman would catch them :lol

Well remember Thor isn't a God in the MCU he is an Alien, that humans worshipped like a god. The Dark Elves had space ships in Thor. And all the magic in the MCU is just science we don't understand.

I like that DC is creating their own tone, and embracing their comics in their own way. I don't want them to be a Marvel clone. And that seems to be what a lot of people want.

You probably know better than I do, I’m not even sure that I’ve ever read a superman comic, but just the tone and structure of MOS gave me a Batman Begins vibe where it was trying its best to be more of an alien invasion film than a Superman film. Kind of like how Batman Begins took a lot from the comics, but was still trying to detach it self from the genre as much as it could. I’m sure that was Goyer and Nolan’s fault but with them two gone now, this universe they’re setting up feels very superhero-esque to me. It feel like a true superhero universe from the comics as opposed to an alien invasion film featuring Superman, if that makes any sense.

But yea, I never read the comics, I’m mostly familiar with Superman through his movies, so MOS could have been a perfect Superman film for all I know.I didn’t enjoy it, but its crazy to me how much hate it gets when it came out the same year as one of the worst superhero movies I’ve ever seen in my life, Iron Man 3.

they want this, people want this:

:lol

Can you believe that guy is the reason the worlds greatest heroes were called on to work together?

Yup, thats what I liked about it too, it feels unique and fresh, I don’t know why everyone wants the same tone for every superhero film. I thought the Winter Soldier was pretty decent movie, and even that film I’ve seen Marvel fans attacking for a bit more grounded and serious than the Avengers. It’s as if comic book fans don’t even have respect for the genre, they think its too silly for a superhero movie to be serious which is baffling to me.

Last edited:
Published April 17, 2015 by Devin Faraci
The BATMAN V SUPERMAN Trailer Leak Debacle

I can't imagine anybody at Warner Bros is too happy about this.

10550188_10103853155247799_8564415518442455258_o__span.jpg

The first teaser trailer for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice* debuts in a special IMAX event on Monday. It's supposed to create fan engagement and social media buzz, and to launch the trailer out there in a major, major way.

And then somebody pirated it on their phone, leaked it to the internet, and every single site - including many trades! - ran it. Oh, and they leaked it just a few hours after the Star Wars: The Force Awakens had reduced many in fandom to actual tears. It's safe to say that the tone of the BvS trailer caused a little bit of nerd whiplash.

Like you, I've seen the leaked trailer. Unlike the trades, i won't post it here. If you feel like you need to post it in the comments you will be banned, as we have a strict 'no pirated material' policy for our comments. You won't be warned - you'll just be gone. But like I said, I know you've already seen it. We've ALL already seen it. And this is part of a two-pronged problem for WB.

Prong one: the cam version of the trailer - not great, a little blurry, muffled sound - is a bad representation of what WB is trying to sell. There's a reason why the trailer reveal event is an IMAX thing - they want to get across the enormity and power of the film. That does not read when filmed on an iPhone. Also, it hit hours after the Star Wars trailer, which was so good and so rapturously received that there's no way BvS could be seen as anything but secondary and lesser.

Some people have claimed that WB leaked the trailer on purpose, but those people are idiots. It would be insane to leak a bad cam of your big trailer right after one of the biggest buzz moments of the year. The Star Wars trailer was so well received that Disney stock added 2 billion dollars in value yesterday afternoon. Diving into the wake of that excitement is suicide. This was a legit leak, and I think it hurt the film - the reaction to the trailer has not been positive. Which brings us to

Prong two: it's a bad trailer. I mean, it's hard to judge exactly just from the cam footage, but this is not a trailer that instills confidence in this movie. All the opening chatter about Superman as an alien coming to Earth is fine (and is, in various iterations, part of the larger mythos), but the tone of the trailer is so unrelentingly dour and unhappy that when it gets to the confrontation in the rain at the end the whole thing simply seems silly. Part of that is the vocal effects on Ben Affleck's Batman (enough with stupid Batman voices, already), but part of it is the sheer operatic scale of these two posturing dummies in the rain. I said this in my Daredevil review, but I'll repeat it here - grimdark done too far or wrong becomes just silly, and that's what's happening here. There's no sense of wonder or awe or even excitement.

The trailer also continues the new WB narrative, whicn is 'We really hate Superman.' I'm familiar with the script, so I know that the movie is very much Superman's film, and that they handle him better than in Man of Steel... but they still **** him up in this film. They still miss out on core aspects of the character, and I'm baffled as to why this is. But no matter how he's treated in the script, this trailer is so profoundly anti-Superman that it's puzzling they have his name in the title.

There are certainly some people who like this trailer, and I'm happy for them. I think the movie will be a little less sturm und drangy than this first peek (there's stuff in the script that I would absolutely call 'fun'), and I think Snyder and company have erred on the side of being kewl here, not in really accurately reflecting the film. Or maybe I'm wrong and the stuff that felt broad and superhero-y in the script is going to be drowned under torrents of rain and awful vocal effects.
* insert joke here

Categories: NEWS Tags: BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE
photo_27.jpg
About the Author: A ten year veteran of writing for the web, Devin has built a reputation as a loud, uncompromising and honest voice – sometimes to the chagrin of his readers, but usually to their delight.
t

Devin can go Faraci himself.

can you imagine that happening in this movie? :lol

did superman catch all of them in the comics? what did he say to them afterwards?

Well remember Thor isn't a God in the MCU he is an Alien, that humans worshipped like a god. The Dark Elves had space ships in Thor. And all the magic in the MCU is just science we don't understand.
The thing is, in Marvel, gods are also like advanced beings, they ARE gods, but then you have elder gods and such, they have advanced science, magic, etc etc, but they are immortal, that's the only thing that changes, in the MCU they're not immortal.

I like that DC is creating their own tone, and embracing their comics in their own way. I don't want them to be a Marvel clone. And that seems to be what a lot of people want.
Yeah, it's blurgh.

You probably know better than I do, I’m not even sure that I’ve ever read a superman comic, but just the tone and structure of MOS gave me a Batman Begins vibe where it was trying its best to be more of an alien invasion film than a Superman film. Kind of like how Batman Begins took a lot from the comics, but was still trying to detach it self from the genre as much as it could. I’m sure that was Goyer and Nolan’s fault but with them two gone now, this universe they’re setting up feels very superhero-esque to me. It feel like a true superhero universe from the comics as opposed to an alien invasion film featuring Superman, if that makes any sense.

You'd be surprised how many Superman origin stories begin with an alien Invasion, in Birthright, there's a a fake Alien invasion by Luthor, in the acclaimed New 52 Grant Morrison origin, he faces Brainiac within a few issues in, in fact, Alien invasions are Superman stories' bread and butter :lol

can you imagine that happening in this movie? :lol

did superman catch all of them in the comics? what did he say to them afterwards?

Haha he didn't need to, he faked being injured and bleed by I don't remember who so that everybody would see that he isn't a god, so nobody jumped and the cult disbanded.

If the tone they want to set is "attention-seeking teen not serious about suicide so they slice their wrists across, not lengthwise" then they're doing a spectacular job so far. :lol

Devin can go Faraci himself.

THIS! I watched Faraci deconstruct that new Star Wars trailer yesterday during the live stream and get on the hype train as if Disney was waving $100 bills in his face (which they probably were since he was at Celebration). The guy is, and has always been, a band wagon jumping ********* with no integrity. I was impressed with the Star Wars trailer no doubt but the BvS trailer literally kicked my ass into Sunday. I'm afraid the hate train for BvS is going to get more and more insane as we near its release date. And that ain't a good thing. MOS left such a sour taste in so many mouths that you combine that with how DC/Warners has handled their new franchise and its just a recipe for disaster. I so wish that IMAX BvS trailer reveal was playing in St. Louis just so I could show up and see it just to be counted as a supporter.

Back