Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

A billion dollar failure :rotfl

Those Transformer films are truly a mystery. I've never seen anything like it! The quality gets worse and worse and the reviews are terrible and somehow they still make over a billion dollars :lol I mean, imagine how much money they would make if those films were great ! Transformers either has the biggest and most loyal fan base ever, or the dumbest fan-base of all time :lol

Box Office Mojo does a domestic all time list, and Avengers is 27th accounting for inflation. They don't do a comparable worldwide list, but it made about 40% of its sales domestically, which is pretty typical, so it stands to reason this wouldn't be much different in a worldwide list.

https://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Not all of the movies above it are there from multiple runs. Still very impressive, but a more realistic view of how successful a movie was.

Those Transformer films are truly a mystery. I've never seen anything like it! The quality gets worse and worse and the reviews are terrible and somehow they still make over a billion dollars :lol I mean, imagine how much money they would make if those films were great ! Transformers either has the biggest and most loyal fan base ever, or the dumbest fan-base of all time :lol

Those movies are a reflection of your average moviegoer, because the fanbase, as far as I can tell, is heart broken.

For those movies to be better, they'd need better stories, better stories would need smarter writing, smarter writing is more demanding of the audience....

And the audience is lazy and doesn't like to think.

Those movies are a reflection of your average moviegoer, because the fanbase, as far as I can tell, is heart broken.

For those movies to be better, they'd need better stories, better stories would need smarter writing, smarter writing is more demanding of the audience....

And the audience is lazy and doesn't like to think.

Well, I guess TMNT (2014) is going to make 3 billion dollars then :lol

most people are just Brain Dead in General, drunken on Pop Culture and Entertainment

Nope, Titanic made 1.8 billion in the 90's, and over 2 billion with the 3D rerelease. Avengers made 1.5. :) Avatar is closer to 3 billion, which is INSANE :horror

I meant domestically. Titanic made $591,758,169 during its first theatrical run in 1997-98 and The Avengers made $623,357,910. Only Titanic's 3D re-release (and inflated surcharge) kept it ahead of The Avengers in the States.

Box Office Mojo does a domestic all time list, and Avengers is 27th accounting for inflation. They don't do a comparable worldwide list, but it made about 40% of its sales domestically, which is pretty typical, so it stands to reason this wouldn't be much different in a worldwide list.

https://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Not all of the movies above it are there from multiple runs. Still very impressive, but a more realistic view of how successful a movie was.

There's more competition now. More films get made now than ever before, then there is piracy, illegal streaming, video games, the internet, so for a film to make as much money as they do now, it's amazing. I mean, Gone With the Wind would not make that much money if it came out today, and back in 1939 there was less competition within the film industry and the other factors I mentioned weren't even an issue.

:lol :lol

There's more competition now. More films get made now than ever before, then there is piracy, illegal streaming, video games, the internet, so for a film to make as much money as they now, it's amazing. I mean, Gone With the Wind would not make that much money if it came out today, and back in 1938 there was less competition within the film industry and the other factors I mentioned weren't even an issue.

:lecture:

:exactly:

I meant domestically. Titanic made $591,758,169 during its first theatrical run in 1997-98 and The Avengers made $623,357,910. Only Titanic's 3D re-release (and inflated surcharge) kept it ahead of The Avengers in the States.

Actually, it made $600,788,188 in the US, but yeah, it was still less than Avengers domestically.

Both sites have the same total (658,672,302) but my site breaks every earning down by day so I'm going with that one. :D

Anyway my original point was that Avengers earned more domestically on its first run and there's no disputing that (not that you are.)

There's more competition now. More films get made now than ever before, then there is piracy, illegal streaming, video games, the internet, so for a film to make as much money as they do now, it's amazing. I mean, Gone With the Wind would not make that much money if it came out today, and back in 1939 there was less competition within the film industry and the other factors I mentioned weren't even an issue.
People also have more time and money to spend on entertainment now than they did at points in the past, and have a heck of a lot more options for seeing movies at the theaters. But putting all that aside, if the argument is that ticket sales for movie X vs. movie Y have any bearing on anything, then you should account for how much purchasing power money gave you in both instances.

No one cares about inflation though. That's why its always "Avatar this, Titanic that." Only a matter of time before the current crop of awesome movies plus inflated ticket prices knock them off their perch.
Well they should. It's silly, borderline meaningless to compare profits without accounting for the relative value of currency, unless you're a movie studio trying to build up hype.

Well they should. It's silly, borderline meaningless to compare profits without accounting for the relative value of currency, unless you're a movie studio trying to build up hype.

Yes, but its not just currency though. Its all the alternatives to theatrical films that modern generations have had access to coupled partly with the fact that in the 30's-70's if you didn't see a movie in the theater you didn't see it AT ALL. Imagine if The Avengers was NEVER going to come out on DVD or Blu-ray rather than potential ticket buyers knowing they just have to wait a few months to rent it at home. There just isn't any way to do a true apples to apples comparison. Sure GWTW sold a jillion tickets in 1939. I bet Jurassic Park would have sold more if it also came out in 1939. :D All we can measure is what a movie did for its current generation against that generation's other distractions. Its all pretty meaningless.

So does the fact that you can't account for every variable justify embracing ever more arbitrary metrics? :D My suggestion is precisely trying to tell you what a movie did for one generation vs. the other, solely in terms of theatrical ticket sales. If you don't try to control for that change, then your data is misleading.

Back