*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's strange, in a sense - that Alvarez used Scott's work as a basis for Romulus, and created something that was more successful.
Well, Scott's movies had far more problems than just confusingly mutable goo. If the issues stopped there, you could chalk it up to '70s-era pulp sci-fi weirdness.

Alvarez embraces the unpredictable goo, but none of the other illogical plot or character beats. The return to retro-futurism also garners good faith among longtime fans.

All of that was before Iger. The current company bares almost no resemblance to what it once was.
I’m not even going to bring up the
super ridiculous Rolling Stone headline about Disney and their Star Wars fans….nope not going to post it…nope nope nope….but if you want to go look for it I wouldn’t stop you from doing it lol

Last edited:
I’m not even going to bring up the
super ridiculous Rolling Stone headline about Disney and their Star Wars fans….nope not going to post it…nope nope nope….but if you want to go look for it I wouldn’t stop you from doing it lol
The one that Leslye Headland's wife is bitterly sharing on social media? :lol

1724635344987.png

Pirates 3 was released on his watch but filming concluded the same month he was made CEO so he wasn't in charge when it was made.
Yes, however he could of easily had the footage removed or altered if he wanted to.

Sadly, yes.

My son and I just watched the Alien 3 Assembly Cut last night, which was his first time seeing the film at all. He said he really enjoyed it despite the downer of all the survivors of ALIENS dying. He then said "at least Ripley got to end in a good movie so that they couldn't ruin her character," to which I stifled an audible laugh. He was utterly confused and was all "what? does another movie say that she survived the furnace???" "Well not exactly..." And then I filled him in on the basic premise A:Res, lol.

But with the original trilogy and A:Rom we now have four really solid films. I think if I ever have the inclination to binge all four films I'll just do the Ripley trilogy and then A:Rom. That way it prevents the series from ending on a downer and doesn't preemptively diminish Ripley's "get away from her" line.

I'm sure Disney will make more due to Rom's success and will probably do their best to screw things up "Acolyte" style but at least Rom had a definitive ending so it will be easy to separate from whatever comes next.

I think that's a solid idea, go with the original Alien trilogy then follow it up with Romulus. It's what I plan to do as well if watching all of the good movies in order.

I'm not sure if you're into video games, but Alien: Isolation was a great follow-up to the first movie, and the main character was Ripley's daughter, Amanda. In terms of story, I think it would've been better suited for the big screen. No black goo, no alien mutants, no recycling of the "greatest hits" of Alien (and Aliens). The majority of the story was just one xenomorph - out for blood, impervious to standard weapons and munitions. In my head, I'd also add this game to my canon for the series as well.

There's a part of me that hopes Alien would be spared from Disney's onslaught of creative ideas :lol.

How much of the second wind that Alien 3 got in terms of fans giving it another look/rewatch came from David Fincher's other successes?

If Fincher had faceplanted, had not had the same success, would Alien 3 be taken in the same context as many others today?
I think this has some merit.

DF took off after Seven. People then started to figure out his first film was Alien 3.

And then Alien 3’s dark depressing tone all made sense.

People were now able to accept the tone of the film and its style and appreciate what DF brought to the Alien franchise.

The movie always had beautiful shots and there are some shots of the Alien that are my fav in the entire series.

But that tone and what they did after Aliens was just too much for the fans at the time.

I don’t know how much I would enjoy this film if I was not able to put it into a “What If?” Category and separate it from Aliens. DF or no DF that film would be a hard watch :lol

Since this is multiverse Ripley I can love it it :)

One of the most iconic and often-mimicked shots in Aliens movies is Fincher's work...
It was fun watching Alien 3 the other night with my son just to observe someone's reaction who'd never seen it before. I had long forgotten how clever Hicks' death actually was because my son was convinced that his body being mangled by a safety strut was misdirection and that it would later be revealed that he'd really died from a chestburster. That ended up providing real misdirection for the fact that it was Ripley who was carrying one.

I think this has some merit.

DF took off after Seven. People then started to figure out his first film was Alien 3.

And then Alien 3’s dark depressing tone all made sense.

People were now able to accept the tone of the film and its style and appreciate what DF brought to the Alien franchise.

The movie always had beautiful shots and there are some shots of the Alien that are my fav in the entire series.

But that tone and what they did after Aliens was just too much for the fans at the time.

I don’t know how much I would enjoy this film if I was not able to put it into a “What If?” Category and separate it from Aliens. DF or no DF that film would be a hard watch :lol

Since this is multiverse Ripley I can love it it :)

It took me a while to accept Alien 3, mainly because of the plotline decisions (killing off Newt and Hicks, having Ripley die in the end). Great, gritty cinematography, though and Fincher delivered a quality film. Not every story has to have a happy ending, and there was something truly dystopian about its depiction of Weyland-Yutani as a ruthless organization that Ripley couldn't win against. Maybe it was drawing a parallel to real-world mega corporations.

It took me a while to accept Alien 3, mainly because of the plotline decisions (killing off Newt and Hicks, having Ripley die in the end). Great, gritty cinematography, though and Fincher delivered a quality film. Not every story has to have a happy ending, and there was something truly dystopian about its depiction of Weyland-Yutani as a ruthless organization that Ripley couldn't win against. Maybe it was drawing a parallel to real-world mega corporations.
And I've always found it fascinating that the company patched up Morse' leg and took him with them instead of just executing him after they lost their prize.

Back