Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Denis Villeneuve to direct new Blade Runner film

I think it will, expectations are pretty tame because nobody here knows about Denis Villeneuve's based skills.

I like Villeneuve but I would have preferred Alex Garland. Roger Deakins is the DoP so at least it'll look gorgeous.

I like Garland a lot, but I think Villeneuve is slightly better and has a slightly more appropriate style for this.

But Garland would have not been a bad choice either.

I think it will, expectations are pretty tame because nobody here knows about Denis Villeneuve's based skills.

Villeneuve is a master. He makes superb films.

Incendies (2010) 10/10
Prisoners (2013) 10/10
Enemy (2014) 9/10
Sicario (2015) 10/10

With Villeneuve, Deakins & the superb cast,
I'm actually expecting Blade Runner 2049 to surpass the original.

I don't want to get my hopes that high but it's certainly a possibility.

It will be a good enough film without a doubt though.

When I heard Villeneuve would direct instead of Ridley, I actually celebrated. I love Ridley but Villeneuve at the time was 3/3. He's now 4/4 and I'm sure The Arrival will put him at 5/5.

Villeneuve doing Blade Runner, Ridley back to a mature ALIEN, Black doing The Predator, Blomkamp doing ALIENS....

It really is a good time to be a sci-fi fan.

All I need now is for Verhoeven to do a direct sequel to ROBOCOP & ROBOCOP 2 ignoring Robocop 3, the show and Padilha's reboot. Get Peter Weller back in the suit and working the beat again.

I like Garland a lot, but I think Villeneuve is slightly better and has a slightly more appropriate style for this.

But Garland would have not been a bad choice either.

The first one is a touchstone of sci-fi, and set a tone and visual style that is emulated to this day. Expecting or hoping the sequel will surpass the original is really setting yourself up for a major disappointment.

The first one is a touchstone of sci-fi, and set a tone and visual style that is emulated to this day. Expecting or hoping the sequel will surpass the original is really setting yourself up for a major disappointment.

Not if you've seen what Villeneuve can do.

The first one is a touchstone of sci-fi.
Let me stop you right there. Eeeeeh, alright.

I mean.... It's good, I don't think I'd go that far.

But yeah to what you say about the visuals.

He's got a point, the first one was pretty original, however good this one ends up being, and there's a chance it could end up being perfect, it's not going to be original. Not if it's about IA, which is a safe bet it'll be.

So that's a handicap right there.

Last edited:

Let me stop you right there. Eeeeeh, alright.

I mean.... It's good, I don't think I'd go that far.

But yeah to what you say about the visuals.

He's got a point, the first one was pretty original, however good this one ends up being, and there's a chance it could end up being perfect, it's not going to be original. Not if it's about IA, which is a safe bet it'll be.

So that's a handicap right there.

Nah...T2 is not original and it's (subjectively) better than T1 in almost every area. It's even more mainstream and a different type of film too, so BR2 can be consider "better" if they make a great film. Personally, I don't think they should make another one, but I won't lie, I'm more excited about this than SW or Mad Max. I hope Edward James Olmos comes back too.

Nah...T2 is not original and it's (subjectively) better than T1 in almost every area. It's even more mainstream and a different type of film too, so BR2 can be consider "better" if they make a great film. Personally, I don't think they should make another one, but I won't lie, I'm more excited about this than SW or Mad Max. I hope Edward James Olmos comes back too.
Actually, it's very original in its approach, it deals with the human nature that will lead us to the judgment day, more than judgement day and time travel itself like in T1.

It's the higher, more meaty part of science fiction (the best part imo), the human/philosophical part, while T1 is more the fantasy/flashy side of science fiction.

But you're right, I suppose it could be better on sheer quality.

I've seen Prisoners and Sicario, both very good, but Ridley Scott is a legendary filmmaker and BR was made in his prime.

It could be great, but I wouldn't get my hopes so high. I'll be cautiously optimistic myself, nothing can ruin a good movie like huge expectations.

Personally don't understand the lack of appreciation for the original, it's a great film. Don't know if it's a generational thing?

Back