Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Denis Villeneuve to direct new Blade Runner film

Box office numbers: amount of people watching it.

Being a flop doesnt just mean it is doing bad financially

It means a very tiny amount of people are watching it. It means it reached a very small number of people.

Sure u guys can say "who gives a f about box office" but it goes beyond that. It is more about how small the reach of this movie is.

.......just....like....Valerian........ regardless of quality, no one saw that either. Valerian and blade runner are gonna suffer the same fate

Depends on what you are discussing. Box office doesn’t say **** about quality.
Other than that this is a movie that people will watch again and again for a long long time. It will grow and become a classic and eventually it will be seen by much more people than say Suicide S (or Valerian for that matter). Might be considered a box office ‘flop’ at this time, but as a movie it has the quality for longevity, unlike most blockbusters these days.

It means a very tiny amount of people are watching it. It means it reached a very small number of people.

Sure u guys can say "who gives a f about box office" but it goes beyond that. It is more about how small the reach of this movie is.

Who cares?

I don't care if if only 200 people saw it. It still has no bearing on a particular movie's quality. You pay 10 bucks and you sit down in the hopes of being entertained. We're not investors or producer moguls like Uncle Harvey or Aunt Pascal. We're not seeing any of that money.

Like Ink and xipotec said, Blade Runner could find it's legs outside of the theater release. Or not. Who cares.

Depends on what you are discussing. Box office doesn’t say **** about quality.
Other than that this is a movie that people will watch again and again for a long long time. It will grow and become a classic and eventually it will be seen by much more people than say Suicide S (or Valerian for that matter). Might be considered a box office ‘flop’ at this time, but as a movie it has the quality for longevity, unlike most blockbusters these days.

Who cares?

I don't care if if only 200 people saw it. It still has no bearing on a particular movie's quality. You pay 10 bucks and you sit down in the hopes of being entertained. We're not investors or producer mongols like Uncle Harvey or Aunt Pascal. We're not seeing any of that money.

Like Ink and xipotec said, Blade Runner could find it's legs outside of the theater release. Or not. Who cares.

Im just saying. A movie flopping is never a good thing. It can ruin careers. It will stop plans for sequels. It will even affect other movies like it.

The Rings movie ( the sequel to the Ring 2) flopped so hard that the studio went and cancelled their new Friday the 13th reboot because they got afraid....

Rings has absolutely nothing to do with friday the 13th and yet it Killed that movie.

Sure, Rings was crap compared to this, but a lot of people were excited for a new jason movie... a lot of us were looking forward to it... now it is dead and buried. How the hell is that even fair.

Rings flopping definitely mattered to jason fans. Mattered to me....

Numbers matter. Box office matters. If blade runner is amazing and set up for a sequel then becoming a flop will be a tragedy

Who knows what other sci fi movies get shelved because of blade runner and valerian. U guys are not seeing the big picture

Im just saying. A movie flopping is never a good thing. It can ruin careers. It will stop plans for sequels. It will even affect other movies like it.

The Rings movie ( the sequel to the Ring 2) flopped so hard that the studio went and cancelled their new Friday the 13th reboot because they got afraid....
Rings has absolutely nothing to do with friday the 13th and yet it Killed that movie.

Sure, Rings was crap compared to this, but a lot of people were excited for a new jason movie... a lot of us were looking forward to it... now it is dead and buried. How the hell is that even fair.
Numbers matter. Box office matters. If blade runner is amazing and set up for a sequel then becoming a flop will be a tragedy

...2049 doesn’t need a sequel. Especially not a sequel aimed for the masses.

If blade runner is amazing and set up for a sequel then becoming a flop will be a tragedy

You didn't even see it! GET OUT OF HERE

But does it deserve a good sequel? Or did they set up for a sequel?

Not more than the original. I didn’t feel like it was set up for a sequel. The open ends is a part of the BR universe I think.

RLM Review:

”2046 ripped off Star Trek Voyager and there’s nothing more embarrassing than that”

lulz

Well, one bad thing about a flop at the box office is perhaps less Sci Finfilms being released...

If TLJ flops, then we could see another LONG dry spell of non SW sci fi...

It's pathetic how little they make these films already....then add how many good ones are released....and a fan of Sci Fi starves cinematically for many years...

What's the last real good Sci fi we got? Sure was not Alien.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, one bad thing about a flop at the box office is perhaps less Sci Finfilms being released...

It's pathetic how little they make these films already....then add how many good ones are released....and a fan of Sci Fi starves cinematically for many years...

The last one? BR2049 ;-)

Oh god....... i forgot about alien covenant...

This flopping might kill sci fi for a while. The last jedi flopping will kill scifi for good......

Go tell your precious Villeneuve that and he’ll spit right in your eye lol.

You think Villeneuve is happy that his masterpiece bombed, seriously.

You really think Villeneuve is thinking WHO CARES if it bombed that it doesn’t matter if WB loses money on it!

lulz

Wow as some had predicted a box office disaster in the making right now ouch.

Sorry Villeneuve but I guess middle america doesn’t care about your auteur skills.

Even the positive reviews call this movie boring lol

Almost 3 hours of talking yikes.

Nope

reviews are saying boring . . .

Next.

I hate original BR so i’ll be skipping this remake.

RLM Review:

”2046 ripped off Star Trek Voyager and there’s nothing more embarrassing than that”

lulz

tumblr_nhtwesWbAM1r1k6vvo2_500.gif

Hollywood trades explantion to why this movie is a box office disaster:

“There was an oversight by the producers on the
Blade Runner brand’s low wattage among the masses despite its eternal legacy praise by critics.

You don’t build a movie that costs in excess of $155M net for just one quadrant –older males (guys over 25 rep 53% per PostTrak)– and mount a campaign that’s shrouded in secrecy, thus sidelining a brand new potential generation of fans.

Also, if you’re looking to hook the Marvel or DC crowd into this reborn franchise, a PG-13 rating could have assisted
Blade Runner 2049 without selling its quality short (there’s nothing really dicey in the movie violence or sex wise). If you’re going to build a movie for one quadrant, it can’t be at a $100M-plus price.

Plain and simple.

Yeah, they don't want to admit it, but box office does matter.

It matters because the studio will be all that more reluctant to invest money into a cerebral sci-fi film again, they may even decide sci-fi is dead for now.

Blade Runner bombs = we lose.

Hollywood trades explantion to why this movie is a box office disaster:

“There was an oversight by the producers on the
Blade Runner brand’s low wattage among the masses despite its eternal legacy praise by critics.

You don’t build a movie that costs in excess of $155M net for just one quadrant –older males (guys over 25 rep 53% per PostTrak)– and mount a campaign that’s shrouded in secrecy, thus sidelining a brand new potential generation of fans.

Also, if you’re looking to hook the Marvel or DC crowd into this reborn franchise, a PG-13 rating could have assisted
Blade Runner 2049 without selling its quality short (there’s nothing really dicey in the movie violence or sex wise). If you’re going to build a movie for one quadrant, it can’t be at a $100M-plus price.

Plain and simple.

They should have gotten Nolan to make the movie. He's a HUGE BR fan, and he knows how to make commercial films, and the marketing for his movies is usually great too.

It matters because the studio will be all that more reluctant to invest money into a cerebral sci-fi film again, they may even decide sci-fi is dead for now.

You get it.

I also get it if a fan loved it and doesn’t care about box office because they got their masterpiece to enjoy over and over.

But think about this...

To NOT care about box office you’re also saying SCREW YOU to the studio who spent alot of money to BRING YOU the movie in the first place!

Had WB not invested in 2046 you wouldn’t even have your masterpiece!

So thanks for the masterpiece WB but we don’t give a **** if you lost alot of money now.

Wut!

Why should WB care about giving you another masterpiece when they see fans saying SCREW YOU we don’t give a **** that you lost money but hey can you please let auteur Villeneuve make another scifi movie for us.

Tad selfish, no?

No, no we can’t lol

Last edited:

You get it.

I also get it if a fan loved it and doesn’t care about box office because they got their masterpiece to enjoy over and over.

But think about this...

To NOT care about box office you’re also saying SCREW YOU to the studio who spent alot of money to BRING YOU the movie in the first place!

So thanks for the masterpiece WB but we don’t give a **** if you lost alot of money now.

Wut!

Why should WB care about giving you another masterpiece when they see fans saying SCREW YOU we don’t give a **** that you lost money but hey can you please let auteur Villeneuve make another scifi movie for us.

Tad selfish, no?

Its how we never got a hellboy 3 because hellboy 2 flopped

I honestly do not give a flying crap if any of u guys hated hellboy, but i wanted that third movie made.
Hellboy 2 flopping mattered to me as a fan. Same as tron legacy, i wanted that third tron.... both of those flops hurt the same way the jason voorhees movie cancel hurt.
I really dont understand how the guys loving this movie dont give a crap of this flopping. Why wouldnt u be sad that ur favorite movie is failing. How can u be so dense.

Oh god....... i forgot about alien covenant...

This flopping might kill sci fi for a while. The last jedi flopping will kill scifi for good......

Flopping has alot to do with initial film cost...

You get it.

But think about this...

Wut!

Tad selfish, no?

No, no we can’t lol

Yeah, but Blade Runner 2049 is already out. Things like Dredd 3D already came out. We've gotten to see and enjoy them, even if they don't do well financially. I don't have any stock with these film studios. If WB, Sony, etc. go under or their actors and producers don't get work again (especially in light of current scandals), I don't care. I mean it's going to happen eventually.

I mean hell, WB released that ****ing awful sci-if Johnny Depp flick, Transcendence, and they're doing just fine, trugging right along (for now). Going into panic mode and proclaiming that this is the end of the genre as we know it isn't just premature, it's ludicrous. Some of you fellas are almost fanatical with this box office business. Not aimed at anyone in particular, but some of you already wrote this one off months ago, but you'll be there cheerleading Disney for their Thor 4 and Star Wars 12 flicks this fall/winter, giving them your money over and over again instead of these other "poor" stuidos. In this world, you win some and you lose some. Every hand is a winner, every hand is a loser. Sometimes things just go wrong, even if your marketing campaign was top notch and got a solid film. That article Jye shared is lame. "Should have made it PG-13 and make like it's another Superhero or Star Wars movie!" Yeah, as if we're not getting enough of those. It's like telling 90s/early 2000s filmmakers to make all your comedies like Adam Sandler movies because that's what the lowest common denominator of masses love.

And let's say that this causes a domino effect and this whole industry collapses? So what? Nothing lasts forever. We still have thousands of pre-existing movies to enjoy. It's not like films of late have done anything new either. Even this movie, as good as it is, is just another sequel/reboot. It's all been done, just regurgitated and given a face lift.

I'm just happy this got made. I'm not a huge fan of the original Blade Runner, and this sequel made up for all the originals faults. Box office be damned. I knew this wouldn't be grossing a **** ton. Just look at the original. It's a cult classic that has a niche audience. It'd be like making a sequel or reboot to Big Trouble in Little China for today's audiences and expecting it to do Transformers BO numbers. It's silly.

Back