Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Denis Villeneuve to direct new Blade Runner film

For starters, I'm surprised this movie was made at all. Like those Hollywood execs (or marketing experts, whatever they were; too lazy to go back to the quote) said, who the hell finances a $155+ million R-rated Blade Runner sequel? Convential wisdom would be not to do it -- or to dumb it down, cut it to hell, and slap a PG-13 rating on top.

Somehow, that didn't happen and we got a masterpiece. The odds were stacked against this existing in the first place, let alone being a good movie if it did. And it's great.

I care about box office insofar as it affects studio confidence in future smart, artful films. But let's be honest, that's never where the money is, not unless they're made cheap. Maybe they shouldn't have been quite so secretive with the advertising for 2049, but the way they ended up playing it, we got the best experience possible. That was always going to have consequences.

Don't get me wrong, I'm telling as many people as I can to go see it -- scratch that, to support it. More active verb. At the end of the day though, there's not much left to do but take solace in the fact that those who listen will indeed see something worthwhile.

^this!!^

Best sequels? As far as "blockbusters" go...

The Godfather Part II
The Wrath of Khan
The Bourne Supremacy
Terminator 2
The Winter Soldier
The Dark Knight
Predator 2
Tron: Legacy

Because they feel like good continuations of original stories and in many respects are better movies.

I also like Spider-Man 2 and X-2.

gaqa8tn.jpg

Who’s a better antagonist Roy or Leto.

Batty by far. But everything else was better. Leto did what he could but he was under utilized. Batty was the character that has the transcendent moment I still think about when he saved Deckard. 2049 built a world I could believe existed and played with the themes of Dicks work better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was no clear antagonists, just like in the original.
These movies are not black n white. They're not about who's right and wrong.

Batty by far. But everything else was better. Leto did what he could but he was under utilized. Batty was the character that has the transcendent moment I still think about when he saved Deckard. 2049 built a world I could believe existed and played with the themes of Dicks work better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah for me Batty remains the best thing in this series after the visuals.

There was no clear antagonists, just like in the original.
These movies are not black n white. They're not about who's right and wrong.

True very good point.

Yawn....

Last edited:

Setting aside what we've already talked about regarding trailers and demographics, I wonder how much good newspaper headlines like "Blade Runner 2049 crashes with $31.5 million opening weekend" do for the film. Folks on here may be able to tell the difference between financial success and quality, but your average Joe (whose interest in the property is probably minimal to begin with) will surely pass after reading that.

your average Joe (whose interest in the property is probably minimal to begin with) will surely pass after reading that.

It seems to me the average person looks at the RT score.

I think the running time is probably hurting this film too. I asked my dad if he wanted to go see it with me, but he said that 3 hours is too much for him. If you're over a certain age, you better not have a single drink before or during the film. :lol

Bet this film does good worldwide...china?

I think alot of blue ray sales too

It seems to me the average person looks at the RT score.

I think the running time is probably hurting this film too. I asked my dad if he wanted to go see it with me, but he said that 3 hours is too much for him. If you're over a certain age, you better not have a single drink before or during the film. :lol

same way this failed (And it had an 83% on RT)

grindhouse.15381.jpg

Gosling and Ford press tour humor shenanigans actually became a trending thing, everywhere they went they did their laughing at each other routine.

The movie was certainly talked about alot, enough so that it even put my ass in the seat.

I guess it was destined (doomed) to follow the same path as its predecessor.

Last edited:

Setting aside what we've already talked about regarding trailers and demographics, I wonder how much good newspaper headlines like "Blade Runner 2049 crashes with $31.5 million opening weekend" do for the film. Folks on here may be able to tell the difference between financial success and quality, but your average Joe (whose interest in the property is probably minimal to begin with) will surely pass after reading that.

Oh wow- worse than I thought.....too bad because decent, adult sci fi movies are just about finished. It's a superhero world.

Back