Blade Runner 2049 (October 6th, 2017) *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Denis Villeneuve to direct new Blade Runner film

I already forget what I deleted lol

Oh this..

Honestly does it really take much for 2046 to be better than the original.

The first is a visual tour de force but at the same time a very slow simple movie that gained a cult following soley because of its visuals and unicorn.

2046 only needed to build upon and respectfully expand the visuals for it to easily surpass the original.

But which villain was better, Roy or Joker Murdock?

I was just going to comment that they could have played it safe and stay in Los Angelas, but they ventured out to a few starkly different locales, each visually impressive in their own way.

Well.... this movie certainly is divisive in a strange way. After so many years of popcorn you'd think more people here would like a solid meal for a change.

I don't agree with SNIKT that "film is art". It can be art. It can be many things. Its a medium. A medium is not art. The "art" is what comes through it.

OK, that said... I saw Blade Runner 2049 last night. Theater was half full. Its a popular theater so its a fair indication of interest in Los Angeles.

I have to say... this movie blew me away. I loved it. I did not expect to. I found flaws with both Sicario and The Arrival. But this Villeneuve film spoke to me. Mesmerizing from the first shot. It really did open up the future it ways that the first movie only hinted at.

I have to digest it a bit. My head is still spinning with images and ideas.

Criticisms from the gut: I do think it was too long. For the initial hour and a half, I was in awe. The world Villeneuve created felt so real. The vehicles, the police station, the way the hologram worked, the acting; everything felt genuine in a way that I have not seen on screen for a very long time. But I felt the 2nd half didn't quite live up to the first's promise (maybe it was the last third to be honest). Deckard's story is woven wonderfully into this film but I did feel a sharp change once he arrived in the story. His physical presence didn't really add anything but a rescue sequence. After thinking about it, if Ford wasn't in this, I'm not sure he would have been missed.

Again, I'm still digesting and thinking on this. Something I haven't had the pleasure of doing for a very long time with a movie. I look forward to relishing in the echoes of this film for a very long time.

For the record, I hope this movie's lack of financial success doesn't spell the end of intelligent sci-fi. I can't take more 'Geostorms' and 'Passengers'.

Nah it being a box office bomb will have no impact don’t worry about it.

Remember Porg tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Well.... this movie certainly is divisive in a strange way. After so many years of popcorn you'd think more people here would like a solid meal for a change.

I don't agree with SNIKT that "film is art". It can be art. It can be many things. Its a medium. A medium is not art. The "art" is what comes through it.

OK, that said... I saw Blade Runner 2049 last night. Theater was half full. Its a popular theater so its a fair indication of interest in Los Angeles.

I have to say... this movie blew me away. I loved it. I did not expect to. I found flaws with both Sicario and The Arrival. But this Villeneuve film spoke to me. Mesmerizing from the first shot. It really did open up the future it ways that the first movie only hinted at.

Criticisms from the gut: I do think it was too long. For the initial hour and a half, I was in awe. The world Villeneuve created felt so real. The vehicles, the police station, the way the hologram worked, the acting; everything felt genuine in a way that I have not seen on screen for a very long time. But I felt the 2nd half didn't quite live up to the first's promise (maybe it was the last third to be honest). Deckard's story is woven wonderfully into this film but I did feel a sharp change once he arrived in the story. His physical presence didn't really add anything but a rescue sequence. After thinking about it, if Ford wasn't in this, I'm not sure he would have been missed.

Again, I'm still digesting and thinking on this. Something I haven't had the pleasure of doing for a very long time with a movie. I look forward to relishing in the echoes of this film for a very long time.

For the record, I hope this movie's lack of financial success doesn't spell the end of intelligent sci-fi. I can't take more 'Geostorms' and 'Passengers'.
Good respectable review...good quote from..."film can be art"...I like that...BR 2049 is most certainly that

I agree with you.

I almost wished it could have been two movies, because while it was long, I was still hungry for more. Ford didn't really add a lot to the movie, if his character was post Morton, it probably wouldn't have mattered too much.

I also want to say how consistently surprised I am by Dave Bautista. I know I'm probably prejudiced against "wrestlers" acting in movies, but he can hold his own, whether it be comedic or dramatic acting.

Thought that was funny that the blind guy has the nicest surroundings. :lol

Was he able to see with those little drones?

Probably. I was expecting some type of Blind Neo Vision filter when the little drones came out.

You might be right. It helps that he's not vain, so he's willing to change his appearance.

Bingo. Dave's an actor (at least trying), not a personality. Big difference.

I think it may have been interesting if Sapper had been Deckard in the opening. For those who have seen it, think about it.

I think it may have been interesting if Sapper had been Deckard in the opening. For those who have seen it, think about it.

Well, his role is there to prepare you for Deckard. They were both living the same exiled life.

You might be right. It helps that he's not vain, so he's willing to change his appearance.

Well Stallone and Arnold didn’t alter their appearances much yet they were much more successful than him.

Deckard becomes Skynet lol

Well Stallone and Arnold didn’t alter their appearances much yet they were much more successful than him.

Stallone is a legit actor, writer, and filmmaker, while Arnold was a novelty and perfect for that era of one liner action movies. Plus, he was perfectly cast as the Terminator.

Rock isn't even the first wrestler to become an actor...although he's been the most successful so far.

Well, his role is there to prepare you for Deckard. They were both living the same exiled life.

The Deckard storyline was studio driven to get the movie made. I get that. And to me it was the weakest part of the story. I think if the "hunt" started with Deckard's death in the beginning, and the "detective" unraveled the mystery as played out in 2/3's of the story, it may have been a better way to go... the finale could have been over the discovery of the "you know what" at the end... and then K could have had to hide that, much like Deckard hid Rachael... and the story would have this full-circle aspect.

I don't know, just thinking. That's what's fun about it. It opens up the imagination.

The Deckard storyline was studio driven to get the movie made. I get that. And to me it was the weakest part of the story. I think if the "hunt" started with Deckard's death in the beginning, and the "detective" unraveled the mystery as played out in 2/3's of the story, it may have been a better way to go... the finale could have been over the discovery of the "you know what" at the end... and then K could have had to hide that, much like Deckard hid Rachael... and the story would have this full-circle aspect.

I don't know, just thinking. That's what's fun about it. It opens up the imagination.

I thought something similar. I'm happy with what I got, but to say it couldn't have been a little better story wise is delusional. But, aren't we all armchair Directors?

Another movie Ford shoulda died in. :lol

But, aren't we all armchair Directors?

Yes. Film is so accessible you can't help it. And we're all weaned on it. Good ideas can come from anywhere, anytime.

Besides, as I said, the reason Ford's in it as he is, is because the film would have never been made if he wasn't in it in a substantial way. He likely would have passed had he had the Sapper role. It's in that sense that the "art" of Blade Runner 2049 is immediately compromised from the get go. The "art" must find its way around all financial decisions in any film -- that's where a creative genius is so indispensable and can really shine, and why the director here did as good a job as possible with the tools he was given.

Yes. Film is so accessible you can't help it. And we're all weaned on it. Good ideas can come from anywhere, anytime.

Besides, as I said, the reason Ford's in it as he is, is because the film would have never been made if he wasn't in it in a substantial way. He likely would have passed had he had the Sapper role. It's in that sense that the "art" of Blade Runner 2049 is immediately compromised from the get go. The "art" must find its way around all financial decisions in any film -- that's where a creative genius is so indispensable and can really shine, and why the director here did as good a job as possible with the tools he was given.

Why I respect Wor-Gar’s opinions he cuts thru the auteur smoke and mirrors BS narrative and puts it like it is.

Yes there is art but in the service of the needs of the studio first and foremost.

Right to the jugular Wor-Gar damn son lol.

And I agree, while I enjoyed the movie it was definately shackled.

In ways it was better than the first but it will also never be as historically significant as the first one was and remains.

As sequels go ESB still remains king but this was a respectable yet flawed follow up where ESB was a perfect sequel.

Last edited:

Why I respect Wor-Gar’s opinions he cuts thru the auteur smoke and mirrors BS narrative and puts it like it is.

Yes there is art but in the service of the needs of the studio first and foremost.

Can't disagree with that! :duff

Good respectable review...good quote from..."film can be art"...I like that...BR 2049 is most certainly that

Thank you, I appreciate that.

I can't say my commentary was a genuine review so much as an opinion based on a single viewing. I didn't want to give too much away to those who may have not yet seen it.

I agree with you.

I almost wished it could have been two movies, because while it was long, I was still hungry for more. Ford didn't really add a lot to the movie, if his character was post Morton, it probably wouldn't have mattered too much.

Yeah, I wasn't squirming uncomfortably in my seat wishing it was over like so many other films that are only 2:15... but I did feel the "Ford act" and wanted more resonance from that final third.

:lol :duff

Back