Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually wasn't talking about you but the nerd that tried to turn everything serious in the first place. I know you can handle some jokes...we have done it in the past-remember- it was awesome?!:rock

:rock :rock :rock

i'm with everybody who wants just ONE format, that's the way i'd like it to be. but right now, i bought what i bought, so i'm stickin with it. i already pour enough money into my electronics and collectibles :D

My copy of Ratatouille is out for delivery today and I'm very much looking forward to watching it on Blu-ray with my kids, followed by Shrek on HD DVD next week. Later this month I will get the Die Hard series on BR and in December, the Bourne Supremacy on HD DVD. I am happy to have both formats--there are exclusive films on both sides of the war that I don't want to go without and I'm glad I don't have to.

My copy of Ratatouille is out for delivery today and I'm very much looking forward to watching it on Blu-ray with my kids, followed by Shrek on HD DVD next week. Later this month I will get the Die Hard series on BR and in December, the Bourne Supremacy on HD DVD. I am happy to have both formats--there are exclusive films on both sides of the war that I don't want to go without and I'm glad I don't have to.

You and me both. :rock :rock :rock

Have some fun man and stop taking everyone's comments so seriously. We don't even really know each other and we are all mostly joking all the time. hence the- :rotfl:rotfl:lol after all my freaking posts. :cool:

And what do you call this?

Rory, is just doing what he always does, trying to stir up ****. He started doing that ever since he went 'Collector Freak' on us. >:D<

You know I've given you **** about being a 'Collector Freak' before and now as I was then I was joking too.

I know what you mean Tom.

I loved having Heroes on HD DVD but then I also love watching Pirates on Blu Ray. I could never be on one side, there is simply too much to miss. :monkey5

Ratatouille is absolutely gorgeous Tom, your family is gonna LOVE it!

It's awesome too that you have stuff to look forward to for both, but for me I'm just not a fan of the Bourne series and I can live without Shrek too.

I wouldn't mind if both Formats coexisted forever, I just wish that both had equal studio support that way EVERYONE could enjoy the best of both worlds. :) :rock

I wouldn't mind if both Formats coexisted forever, I just wish that both had equal studio support that way EVERYONE could enjoy the best of both worlds. :) :rock

I think that a single unified high def media format had a good chance of being widely accepted. But that didn't happen and now it's going to remain a niche product because of the war. You now have a pretty good amount of public awareness but it's combined with a reluctance to get on board, and that reluctance will stick around for a while now.

Toshiba's cheap player may help HD-DVD win, but I'm convinced that having an actual DVD in hand will be a thing of the past in, at most, 10 years. So whoever wins - they both lose.

Interesting news on the Blu-Ray front. Looks like the CEO is callingit a stalemate at best, but is wondering if they should have tried to tried to reconcile with the HD-DVD group back then.

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/..._CEO_Downplays_Format_War_Sees_Stalemate/1160

It was pretty startling to read those quotes from Sony.

I do think that Dave is right about the direction that things are going. Look at CD sales--kids these days just download what they want to listen to, and I can imagine a time in the not too distant future when my high def film library will fit on a 10 terabyte video iPod that I carry in my pocket and which will transmit the HD signal wirelessly to my TV.

Toshiba's cheap player may help HD-DVD win, but I'm convinced that having an actual DVD in hand will be a thing of the past in, at most, 10 years. So whoever wins - they both lose.

I know I have said this before but I will say it till I am blue in the face- having a tangible disk is LOADS better than having a downloaded file for many reasons. And because of this, I hope that you are wrong.

Interesting news about Blu Ray though. :D:lol

The CEO went on to indicate that there was an opportunity of uniting the two camps under one format before he became CEO, and that "I wish I could go back in time, because I heard it was all about saving face."

Stringer's remarks were surprisingly frank, with the CEO describing a current "stalemate" between the Sony-backed Blu-ray format and its rival HD DVD, even pondering a possible loss.
:lol:lol:lol:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:lol:lol
He should be fired for this. :lol

Where's Bagels?:monkey3

Interesting news on the Blu-Ray front. Looks like the CEO is callingit a stalemate at best, but is wondering if they should have tried to tried to reconcile with the HD-DVD group back then.

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/..._CEO_Downplays_Format_War_Sees_Stalemate/1160

So not only is BluRay the better format, it looks like Sony is the better man. :rotfl

(EDIT: Just joking, everyone. Heard some fanboys on another site was taking the HD/BluRay flame war way too far. Don't want any part of that.)

Seriously, you guys are right. It's all downloaded media in 5-10 years.

The scary thing about downloaded media is that the control is ultimately out of your hands. I closed my AOL account and for some reason, hundreds of songs would no longer play on iTunes because I had originally purchased them with that account and the ownership could no longer be verified. It was a long and frustrating experience getting my music back.

I don't actually like downloadable media. First off, you have to have a good connection. Second, they charge you the same as if you were buying the CD from a store and that's ridiculous for something that they can sell infinite copies of at no additional cost. And, I can lose everything if my computer crashes so that can mess things up (although they are making solid state hard drives which don't use discs so they are extremely reliable, but that's slow development). Plus I don't want to fill my computer up with all my songs, movies, and games, I'd like to have the ability to just grab something and play it than go through my computer.

The scary thing about downloaded media is that the control is ultimately out of your hands. I closed my AOL account and for some reason, hundreds of songs would no longer play on iTunes because I had originally purchased them with that account and the ownership could no longer be verified. It was a long and frustrating experience getting my music back.

That's what I have been saying all along. It takes all the control and power away from the consumer and they are charging just as much for it. Boo to downloaded media. :monkey4

Back