Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough.

You choose to change the character's gender for a bunch of reasons- to create a buzz, to expand what the character can do, to tell the story from a different perspective, to try attract new viewers.

Yes, that makes sense, and I agree. Those are fair reasons.... though half of them are for marketing purposes -- and that's where my problem lies.

But IMHO I don't want to see Jamie Bond or Dorian in Wizard of Oz... I don't feel those characters need to be explored from an opposing gender position. If I want to watch Bond, its for the reasons Bond exists. The Doctor is a little more pliable because his character isn't so based in the 'male ego'. However, he's been working fine for many decades and I don't think changing him to a female will cause him to explore anything he can't already, thus for me it adds nothing to the character except, as you point out, a promotional/marketing trick.

I have nothing against starting a new show with a new female Doctor. I have a problem changing established lore.

Last edited:
Like all doctors, this one needs a vacation.

Take it off the air for a few years, until people stop wanting to screw with it, and just want the good ol' Doctor back as he was intended to be.
Agree it's needed a rest for a while now and looks like they've run out of ideas and are trying to reinvent it...
Idris Elba or Colin Salmon would make perfect Doctors, they both are an age that can get across the sense of wisdom that anyone under 45 will struggle to do. I'm just waiting for the Doctor to be a lesbian now...

For me Ivanno jeremiah would have been excellent in the role...maybe he'll get the chance when all this Chibnall/female dr BS gets axed..

I have no issues at all with a female doctor. If you're going to complain about this show, it should be the writers not the gender of the lead character. Hopefully the new season will have much better stories without Moffat.

:( :gah: :slap So much for TimeLORD.

Still I knew it! Just knew it. :( :( Can't type my actual response to this...I doubt it would make it through the language filter. :mad:

To say I am bitterly disappointed is a massive understatement. PC wins the day...

RIP Doctor Who 1963 -2017

I've had a bad feeling this would happen. Final nail in the coffin. RIP Doctor Who.

Like all doctors, this one needs a vacation.

Take it off the air for a few years, until people stop wanting to screw with it, and just want the good ol' Doctor back as he was intended to be.

Agreed.

So when would it be ok to have a woman Doctor? Ever?

There have been like 15 incarnations of Doctor who. Doctor who has been old, young, blonde, brunette. All those times I read no outrage.

Under what circumstances would it be acceptable to have a woman as Doctor who? Or is there some gender lock on a char crater that keep "reincarnating"?

For example in a spin-off show about a female Timelord or in an alternate universe.

Idris Elba or Colin Salmon would make perfect Doctors, they both are an age that can get across the sense of wisdom that anyone under 45 will struggle to do. I'm just waiting for the Doctor to be a lesbian now...

I bet she will be bi or lesbian...

ghostbusters is a bad example because that movie was completely loaded with political tones. the casting itself was a political move. But if they got emma stone and they got the two girls from the show Community or the girls from Big Bang theory, i could have seen that ghostbusters movie being really well received though.

All of it, gender swaps, emphasizing characters' race or sexuality, are politically / ideologically motivated.

The problem is that this was solely done to please a loud minority who confuse entertainment with personalized therapy.

Also, to answer that question, I think gender swap is worse than race swap. If they had announced a black guy I would have given it a chance. But now I'm completely done with this show.

To me there's a big difference in Doctor Who becoming a woman than say, James Bond being a woman. Doctor Who can become whoever he wants whereas, James Bond IS a male. Wonder Woman Is a female. Dorothy IS a girl. Unless you rewrite the entire story to make those characters someone else, then they shouldn't be touched.

Race is another issue. Doctor Who once again can be any race he wants and that's part of the story, whereas James Bond has always been a white, British man. James Patterson's Alex Cross is a black man and should remain that if they ever revisit that series of books. But we've been through this.

I'm sure if a female Doctor Who doesn't work out, the Doctor will be a male again soon.

No male actor whichever nationality, who's in their right mind, will touch this role after it has been thoroughly run into the ground like this.

To me there's a big difference in Doctor Who becoming a woman than say, James Bond being a woman. Doctor Who can become whoever he wants whereas, James Bond IS a male. Wonder Woman Is a female. Dorothy IS a girl. Unless you rewrite the entire story to make those characters someone else, then they shouldn't be touched.

Race is another issue. Doctor Who once again can be any race he wants and that's part of the story, whereas James Bond has always been a white, British man. James Patterson's Alex Cross is a black man and should remain that if they ever revisit that series of books. But we've been through this.

I'm sure if a female Doctor Who doesn't work out, the Doctor will be a male again soon.

best post of the thread. thank you ween

best post of the thread. thank you ween

edit

it wasnt, she just made a really good post
you were second best :)

e4bPhc7.gif

:monkey3

The concept of the Time Lords changing gender has only been introduced over the last couple of years, it was never the case for 50 years. Obviously to pave the way for a female Doctor. So some fans are going to be a bit vexed at yet another retcon. However in saying that most of the old fans probaly stopped watching years ago, and most of the new fans seem to welcome the change. The actor isn't the issue though, it's the writing that's truly abysmal.

Chibnall will probably have David Bradley on speed dial already to say "Urm David...I don't suppose you could possibly step in and play the First Doctor for a few episodes could you..."

:lol

I agree wholeheartedly. I believe the curiosity of it will see it hit a premiere ratings high for the first show, possibly the second and then it will begin to slide. It would have been much smarter if they had announced the new doctor and then immediately aired the new season. Thereby, riding whatever marketing and public relations wave they would generate from the announcement. But to have the show with a new, female doctor come on after a year when at least, and this is just a guess (maybe more or less), half the fan base is against it will just simply give them time to foment. I agree with you completely I do not think it will go as well as they think. Ive been watching The Doctor since I was 9. I enjoy it exactly for what and who he is. If they wanted a female doctor they should have simply created a new spin off.

The doctor is a well established male character for 50 plus years...12 incarnations,13 if you count John hurt and 18 if you count the 5 faces before Hartnell's doctor...as seen in The brain of morbius...all the same male timelord. That whole gender bending timelord/lady BS was brought in under Moffat's awful tenure. Chibnall had a clean slate and a chance to bring some sanity to the proceedings and re-write that mess....but no he's started off by making the biggest mistake in the shows history..

Back