Edition size: NRD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly. Not exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
...we usually give a courtesy 'one time' NRD refund to the client if they contact us in a timely manner about their concerns for such things as abnormally large edition sizes or significant delivery delays. However, our Customer Service reps find that many of the cancellations we do receive due to 'edition size' concerns are not received within a reasonable time of the announcement of the edition size but just prior to clients having to pay for the item.

Ultimately, we receive very few complaints, in comparison to the whole, about editions sizes that are set after launching with TBDs because our editions sizes are usually within an established range.

My reply was worded this way to outline that we have to have some guidelines when we review our customer requests.

Do you refund NRDs because someone thought there would be 50 pcs less in an edition? Or is it more reasonable if the edition size is a thousand pcs more than they expected? Is it reasonable to refund based on a cancellation of an exclusive item because someone is upset about the edition size of the regular version which they HAVEN'T even pre-ordered? Just from this thread you can see how these few examples start to become complicated.

We had a customer request to cancel all of his orders because he didn't want them carrying radiation from the Japanese nuclear plant into his home. Odd because we do not produce in Japan but we did cancel his orders, refunded his NRDs, all of his in progress FLEX payments, etc. and closed his account. One month later he wanted to order up the DC items that were being offered, coming from the same area of origin. This is why we offer first time courtesies so they do not become a way of handling your account.

The overall point of my post was that if there are valid concerns our customer service does review and address them, which I believe is what the original issue the thread voiced.

Last edited:
My reply was worded this way to outline that we have to have some guidelines when we review our customer requests.

Do you refund NRDs because someone thought there wold be 50 pcs less in an edition? Or is it more reasonable if the edition size is a thousand pcs more than they expected? Is it reasonable to refund based on a cancellation of an exclusive item because someone is upset about the edition size of the regular version which they HAVEN'T even pre-ordered? Just from this thread you can see how these few examples start to become complicated.

We had a customer request to cancel all of his orders because he didn't want them carrying radiation from the Japanese nuclear plant into his home. Odd but we did cancel his orders, refunded his NRDs, all of his in progress FLEX payments, etc. and closed his account. One month later he wanted to order up the DC items that were being offered, coming from the same area of origin. This is why we offer first time courtesies so they do not become a way of handling your account.

The overall point of my post was that if there are valid concerns our customer service does review and address them, which I believe is what the original issue the thread voiced.

Thanks Chicky,

I understand loud a clear now what's pretty much accepted and what's not an acceptable reasoning for cancelling orders with NRD's attached.

SSC customer service has been top notch in all my interactions with them, and I've yet to have a request denied. I've heard multiple instances of NRDs being refunded for various reasons too.

NRD should never be refunded in any case IMO. That is exactly why they are called that way: "Non Refundable Deposits". On the other hand, I think it is great from SS to consider reviewing and addressing valid concerns, it is much more than you are ought to do for sure. Really appreciated.

Again, thank you Chicky.

Last edited:
Yes, that appears to be exactly how those with concerns are imagining the way they're being treated in this sitution. I'm not sure how or why they think that Sideshow takes measures which show no concern for the needs and desires of their customers, but regardless of how far the company does go to accomodate their customers, it seems that what they do is never enough for some. There is always one more thing that Sideshow allegedly fails to go the extra mile for them in regards to, and that one thing is always presented as a prime example of a way in which they disrespect the business of the discerning buyer.

I am saying that there is a line, beyond which the customer disrespects the seller when they ask for something further than what the seller has offered. Those types of request can usually be identified by the complaining party's characterization of the seller's failures as unfair, underhanded, or otherwise immoral, and they do so to elicit an advantage over the offending party which does not exist in a normal business relationship. Buyers and sellers are equals.

Of course buyers are free to make requests of those they purchase from. But they do not have a right to see their demands met against what the sellers determine are in their own best interest.

What your after:dunno A free plushie:violin

NRD should never be refunded in any case IMO. That is exactly why they are called that way: "Non Refundable Deposits". On the other hand, I think it is great from SS to consider reviewing and addressing valid concerns, it is much more than you are ought to do for sure. Really appreciated.

Again, thank you Chicky.

Good post, Joseph!

I agree with both your points made. :duff

Thanks, Chicky, for all the information. :D

Wow. I must say, standing by your beliefs was a costly decision.
It's never a good thing to toss away money in these times. I commend you on exercising your right to cancel the order based on your unhappiness with the ES. Even though I started this thread, I never made a decision like that based off of an ES. I haven't been put in that position yet.

Well, now for the good news. Since the ES seems high on this, you can more than likely pick it up for less than retail on ebay or at a local merchant when it's released... if you still want it. I hope the savings is at least the equivalent to the $35 loss of the NRD.

Look at the bright side. If you do pick the bust up below retail, you will have the bust you want for possibly less than ordering direct from SS. On top of that, you will have sent the message that the ES was too high and that's why you canceled. I hope things work out for the best. Thanks for sharing your story. IMHO, it has been the most relevant post here given the topic of this thread.

filip629, this is exactly why I cancelled. At an edition size of 2500, I was willing to risk picking this piece up within the next two years when the piece will simply go down in price OR SS is going to do a clearance because of the amount of stock leftover. I figured I would not need a nameplate for the extra $35.

I am not sure I understand why you canceled your ex edition. A 500 piece edition is very conservative. You canceled your exclusive edition because of the regular version edition size?

When you placed your cancellation did you let customer service know why? Also did you cancel relatively soon after the edition size was announced?

Hi Chicky: Thank-you for your reply. Yes, an ex edition size of 500, for the Predator theme, and LSB of this high quality is indeed a very conservative number. The problem comes in when you factor it with the overwhelming reg edition of 2500. Consider this please:

1. From a monetary point of view, the only difference between the two is the nameplate. Otherwise they are the same bust. So why not just pick up a the Reg LSB later on down the road at much less a price? When there is 2500 of these floating out there, one will likely to be had for $250.

2. For a person who has high end collectables, and carefully examining there space to put them in, one begins to evaluate how much do you want this collectable if it is not "special" in the ES. Forgive me if I am coming across as a bit of a snob with this point ... I do not mean to. Looking at it from the point of view of a collector who has some pieces they really like and appreciate, the question does come to mind How much do you really want this piece if the regular edition will most likely be so easy to buy later on down the road?

Chicky, this LSB is fantastic looking and promising in terms of quality and wonderful to display, and would dispute this. IMO, there is simply going to be a lot of them around for a long time ... and a reg will be easy to pick up.

I cancelled on the internet, and gave SS a note why I did in the box provided. No, I cancelled this when the shipping notice arrived in my e-mail informing me the piece would ship in 23 days or so. I went and looked at the piece then and found the numbers of the edition size.

I am extremely disappointed in SS with this ES. As an avid collector, and avid supporter of Sideshow products, the people who work for them, and ESPECIALLY there service, I was simply taken aback when I saw the Edition Size.

I just trusted that SS would do what they normally do: announce a low ES for Ex and low ES for Reg after I put the NRD down.

They did not this one time (and hopefully the only time).

What I am asking from a great company that has achieved a special place in the heart of many collectors:

Please announce an ES if you are going to charge a NRD, OR, if you are going to charge the NRD, then please keep the ES low so that the piece remains a special piece long after it is sold, both in quality, collectability, and monetarily.

Thanks for taking the time to ask questions about my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back