English Premier League EPL Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moyes has just done his first proper press conference,
https://www1.skysports.com/football...ess-Wayne-Rooney-staying-at-Manchester-United

"Wayne Rooney is not for sale. He is a Manchester United player and will remain a Manchester United player. I'm looking forward to working with him."

If he can improve his attitude especially in regards to his fitness and start playing like he was 2-3 years ago then fine.

If not, then there's no point keeping him around.

Moyes also mentioned that the club are looking to sign some new players possibly before the pre-season tour starts next week but didn't elaborate further.

EDIT
Following Neymar's comments Barcelona again attempt to tap up Rooney.
https://www1.skysports.com/football...-thinks-Wayne-Rooney-would-shine-at-Barcelona

Seems like both the big Spanish teams have no issues with breaking the rules that everyone else has to abide by.

Last edited:
Moyes has just done his first proper press conference,
https://www1.skysports.com/football...ess-Wayne-Rooney-staying-at-Manchester-United

"Wayne Rooney is not for sale. He is a Manchester United player and will remain a Manchester United player. I'm looking forward to working with him."

If he can improve his attitude especially in regards to his fitness and start playing like he was 2-3 years ago then fine.

If not, then there's no point keeping him around.

Moyes also mentioned that the club are looking to sign some new players possibly before the pre-season tour starts next week but didn't elaborate further.

EDIT
Following Neymar's comments Barcelona again attempt to tap up Rooney.
https://www1.skysports.com/football...-thinks-Wayne-Rooney-would-shine-at-Barcelona

Seems like both the big Spanish teams have no issues with breaking the rules that everyone else has to abide by.

They tapped up so many arsenal players its funny. Went even so far as to put a jersey on cesc. Spanish media rules don't apply to epl rules. Just sit back and enjoy it.

I'm interested to see Man Utd next season. It's vital they strengthen & get to a good start but as they are I can't see them winning the league & definitely not the Champions Lge. I really see Spurs doing well next season though if they buy a quality striker, I can see them being the dark horses. Paulinho is a great signing especially for 17mil & it does look like Bale is staying there building a great squad a lot of people are to ignorant to see it though.

VASith,
Yeah, it's just what they do....Real did it with 4-5 United players over the last decade or so and I suppose in the end the money they were offering did the talking.

RagingBull,
I really don't know what to think about the new season. The last time United changed managers I wasn't even 10 years old so it didn't register in anything like the same way.

So seeing Fergie watching the tennis and not doing press conferences at Old Trafford is very, very weird.

He's still inspiring winners though as he apparently passed on a few words of wisdom to Andy Murray,
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/t...s-talk-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-handle-pressure.html

Fergie Time win in the final for Murray?

I wouldn't bet against it.

As for United so much depends on what new signings Moyes makes because the cracks in the midfield and defence will take the team out of the top 4 in the next couple of years if they aren't addressed NOW.

I think the domestic competitions should be top priority and that's all I'll be watching this season.

Aside from the money they get for being in the Champions League there's really no point in United being there unless they spend big on players that'll help them become competitive again....one or two youngsters bought on the cheap won't get the job done.

I'm confused why Utd aren't being linked with any midfielders. Well they have been linked with Thiago which would be a great buy but Barca said there's been no bid and with him only having a 15mil buy out I thought teams would be all over a deal like that but Utd definitely need a proven creative midfielder. Utd haven't seen the best of Kagawa I know but I'm still not sold on him if I'm honest & especially now Scholes has finally retired

Oh & I know Utd's been liked with Ronaldo & Cavani but that's just paper talk like the Arsenal Suarez thing.

I think Utd need wingers as well. Valencia & Young are not good enough for Utd

Kagawa would be more effective if he gets played in his proper position.

There's been talk of Palace having Zaha back on loan for another season but I think he should be given his chance at United now.

It's not like he can do any worse than Nani, Young or Valencia, he's still young enough to improve and has one of the best wingers ever in Giggs as player-coach to pass on his experience.

If he can't benefit from that kind of advice he'll never make it at the highest level.

Fergie's blind spot with the midfield was his biggest failing during his last few years in the job so hopefully Moyes will do something about it.

Loyalty is one thing but when players have consistently proved they aren't up to the job it's time to cut them loose.

In the present squad there are at least 5 players that fit that description and aside from a few rumors about Nani there's no indication any will be moved on :cuckoo:

United need to make some kind of positive statement during this period of uncertainty, the owners need to show they're willing to do what it takes to back the manager in order to give themselves the best possible chance of remaining competitive.

Big names don't guarantee trophies but 2 or 3 coming into United would certainly make sense at this present time as relying on Fergie's old boys will sink them.

Whether Moyes can do any good with the first proper transfer budget he's had in his career remains to be seen.

Kagawa would be more effective if he gets played in his proper position.

There's been talk of Palace having Zaha back on loan for another season but I think he should be given his chance at United now.

It's not like he can do any worse than Nani, Young or Valencia, he's still young enough to improve and has one of the best wingers ever in Giggs as player-coach to pass on his experience.

If he can't benefit from that kind of advice he'll never make it at the highest level.

Fergie's blind spot with the midfield was his biggest failing during his last few years in the job so hopefully Moyes will do something about it.

Loyalty is one thing but when players have consistently proved they aren't up to the job it's time to cut them loose.

In the present squad there are at least 5 players that fit that description and aside from a few rumors about Nani there's no indication any will be moved on :cuckoo:

United need to make some kind of positive statement during this period of uncertainty, the owners need to show they're willing to do what it takes to back the manager in order to give themselves the best possible chance of remaining competitive.

Big names don't guarantee trophies but 2 or 3 coming into United would certainly make sense at this present time as relying on Fergie's old boys will sink them.

Whether Moyes can do any good with the first proper transfer budget he's had in his career remains to be seen.

Gotta believe its not just up to moyes but the board as well. United has the most to spend in the epl next to Chelsea. I think next season will be the most competitive in maybe 5 years

Is be amazed if Fellaini doesn't wind up at united. He'd fit right in on day one.

Im amazed Wenger didnt snap him up and pay his wages. Could still happen. I hate to say it but if wenger gabbed him, higuain and Cesar and maybe one more in defence, they really could mount a challenge next season.

I'm interested to see Man Utd next season. It's vital they strengthen & get to a good start but as they are I can't see them winning the league & definitely not the Champions Lge. I really see Spurs doing well next season though if they buy a quality striker, I can see them being the dark horses. Paulinho is a great signing especially for 17mil & it does look like Bale is staying there building a great squad a lot of people are to ignorant to see it though.

As it stands, I think we will finish 5th again. Paulinho should be a great buy and with him, Sandro and Dembele in the middle, we would be very strong and may add goals from midfield.

We need to tie the Villa deal up, get another striker and another winger.
Levy needs to learn by his mistakes. Back AVB fully and buy early and bed them in pre season. We had an awful start last season as the team took time to settle.

Im really looking forward to this season. So many question marks. And its not that far away :)

Gotta believe its not just up to moyes but the board as well.

True enough.

My concern is that the Glazers will take last season's league success as a sign that there isn't much improvement to be made and not give Moyes the backing even if he recognises the need for rebuilding the midfield almost from scratch.

The club's youth setup has been a joke in recent years so it's time to turn the clock back to the pre-Glazer years when they weren't shy of splashing the cash because the longer the issues with the squad are left as they are, the more expensive they will be to fix.

Maybe they can't get Ronaldo back, but buying several top quality players now would go a long way towards ensuring that the Glazers all important cash cow continues to produce for them in the long term.

I'm concerned about all these defenders Moyes is buying. We need a marquee signing to bring a bit of confidence to the new regime....

I'm concerned about all these defenders Moyes is buying. We need a marquee signing to bring a bit of confidence to the new regime....

Exactly.

For a lot of United fans this is the most uncertain time they've had as a fan, so they need to get some sort of signal from the club that they're 110% serious about wanting to continue where Sir Alex left off.

To be fair, I think Moyes has identified the United defence was got at to easily last season and has made it his first priority.
I think there will be a few more later on.

We've got so many defenders as it is. The problem for the last few years has been the middle of the park but this is the area we seem to be struggling to bolster :/ you never know though, we may get Scholes back out of retirement mid season! :( Oh dear

We've got so many defenders as it is. The problem for the last few years has been the middle of the park but this is the area we seem to be struggling to bolster :/ you never know though, we may get Scholes back out of retirement mid season! :( Oh dear

I can sort of see the logic behind it as several key defenders have been affected by injuries, aging and loss of form and then you have the likes of Smalling who can't stay fit for more than 5 minutes.

But sorting the centre of midfield should be the top priority.

I can sort of see the logic behind it as several key defenders have been affected by injuries, aging and loss of form and then you have the likes of Smalling who can't stay fit for more than 5 minutes.

But sorting the centre of midfield should be the top priority.

I know what your saying and the midfield has missed a leader for a long time now but if you conceding goals, you sort that out first.
I cant remember how many times United went behind last season and I think Moyes would have identified that. Yes they came back and won but when your playing the elite, thats alot harder to do.
Carrick had a great season last time out so he deserves his place for now. I do think Fellaini would be a monster signing tho. He can play a number of positions and his powerful, skillful.... has got the lot. And Moyes deserves credit for help making him the player he is today so its a no brainer for me. Also wesley sneijder is available for 12m which again, is a no brainer.

Sneijder was a player 2yrs ago. 12millon is massively over value for him now. I think Ronaldo looks like he's staying another season now despite admitting he misses England. I definitely think Fergie retiring has put him off returning. Bale may still be an option?
I have little faith in the Glazers financial backing though or Moyes' pulling power in the transfer market...

Last edited:
https://www.joe.ie/football/footbal...eheading-him-and-placing-his-head-on-a-stake/

Pele's beautiful game has lost it's looks.

United continue to be linked with Thiago somebody or other from Barcelona but hopefully it won't pan out, someone schooled in that tiki taka BS would be more suited to Arsenal as United's style is more direct than that.

David Moyes has revealed that he offered Paul Scholes a coaching role but he turned it down as he's having a break from the game to spend time with his family....or has he seen an iceberg on the horizon?

EDIT
SoreArse to Arsenal?
https://www1.skysports.com/football...iverpool-following-reports-of-30m-Arsenal-bid

Last edited:
Back