FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look really great so far! cant wait to see more shots of their gear, etc.

They look great, there's no doubt about that, but... have you read the nameplate? PROTOTYPE - PENDING APPROVAL. I will start getting enthusiastic, once I have both in hand, and they really look like this. So far, non of the LotR 12" figures have met the standard set by the prototype. Not one.

It's both good and bad news. It will (at least temporarily) reinvigorate the line, as I am sure these two will sell out fairly quickly (sucks to be me on the 6th :monkey2), but the $70 price point will now become the baseline. Shortly, it will be $75, and that will price me out of buying most of the new figures. Even at the $70 point, I would have to think really hard about buying any character outside the Fellowship.

You are right Robo, Sideshow is pushing it. They raise their prices during big events like the SDCC, because most fans are to 'dazed' to notice it.

SSC filled a niche in 1/6 between Hasbro/Mattel type items and the high end of Medi and HT. I'm concerned that the pricing is edging closer to the high end but the quality is staying where it is. Sideshow does well the same things it has always done well, namely the head sculpts, but the bodies, inconsistent paint application, and costumes for most figures don't compete well with Hot Toys or Medicom. I wish I felt that the price increases were being invested in improvements but I don't see that happening. We still have the Buck body which really hurts the overall figure as in Ilum Padme, or the tailoring of Bespin Luke's jacket.

I'd love it if they put a picture of them standing next to some of the 12" ones like Aragorn. The only thing that keeps coming back to bother me about them is the darkness of their feet compared to the rest. I'm hoping it's due to the flashing of cameras and lighting and the scuplted feet just don't reflect it back as much as the rest of the body. Has anybody seen any pictures of sting or the mithril shirt? I'm guessing that the exclusive might be a blue sting or the phial of Galadriel.

They look fantastic in these pics. I can only imagine how much better they look in person. As RoboDad said earlier, I'm slowly getting priced out of this line as well. At $70 per figure, I'm hitting my limit for an action figure. I'll definitely be getting the Fellowship Nine, but after that, I'm not sure.

I could see that since they are new bodies and the accessories and clothing cost are probably still close that they would want to charge $70 each but I really hope it's lower.

Last edited:
On the preview page it says "Items will be sold separately". So I wouldn't bet on a two pack.

As far as prototype vs final product, the paint apps on Aragorn and Faramir were weak and the some of the clothing details changed, but I think Legolas and Boromir both came out very close to the initial preview pictures in terms of costuming, paint applications and accessories, certainly as close as any 12" SS figure I've seen.

With regard to the price, it's all about what are we getting for the price, perceived value. I was disappointed in Faramir because compared to Boromir, we got less accessories, lackluster paint, and inaccurate changes such as the altered quiver clasp and color of the cloak. I felt for what I was getting it was $5-10 too much whereas Boromir felt like I was getting closer to $65 worth of stuff (especailly the exclusive with cloak and that sweet orc head). From the looks of the photos so far, these Hobbits look like they can hang with the $140 Hot Toys stuff. Of course we'll have to wait and see what the final product looks like, but I'd rather them keep quality high and not cut accessories or ditch the beautiful corduroy or herringbone fabrics. There are always the 12" Applause, DID, or Toybiz Frodos if someone wants a less elaborate one.

I really want Frodo to come with a blue "glowing" Sting, Lothlorien cloak, phial of Galadriel and mithril vest. Sam looks loaded with almost everything I could think of (sausages!) but I hope he comes with a Lothlorien cloak also and some lembas bread.

Last edited:
Lothlorien cloaks are must-haves, be it as exclusives or part of the regular "gear".

A blue glowing sting blade, made in the same material as the Sidious hologram would :rock

I'm sure the exclusives will have the cloaks and one other exclusive item. Since that seems to be the trend with the LOTR figures.

Awesome, the body is actually designed by Hot Toys!!!
IMG_9730.jpg

More here at Cool Toy Review:
https://www.cooltoyreview.com/story/front/SDCC07_Sideshow_Collectibles_Panel_107782.asp

Back