FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, Toybiz Sauron came with a few extra rings (3 or 4 total) that were in a seperate and very easily thrown away baggie :lol I know I kept mine, but its been so many years that I'm not 100% sure where they are now.

If I remember correctly the rings are metal, but don't have any rounding on the edges... still would most likely look better than the stock ring that comes with Frodo.

Yeah, Toybiz Sauron came with a few extra rings (3 or 4 total) that were in a seperate and very easily thrown away baggie :lol I know I kept mine, but its been so many years that I'm not 100% sure where they are now.

If I remember correctly the rings are metal, but don't have any rounding on the edges... still would most likely look better than the stock ring that comes with Frodo.

I never even knew the extra rings were there! Sauron's never left his box... until today. I found a little baggie with 4 rings taped behind the figure inside the box. They're just like you said, no rounded edges, just pieces of cut brass tubing. They're just a little too big for hobbit fingers (good size for Isildur, though). I put one on a small chain and snapped a couple of pics for comparison. It hangs nicely, but the shape of the original looks better, imo. I really wish the stock ring was made of metal.

Sauron's ring "hangs" better.
P1010195.jpg

Diameter is just a little too large for hobbits.
P1010196.jpg

The Stock ring definitely looks better than the Sauron... I feared it might be too cylindrical looking. But looking at the pictures, I definitely need to swap out the chain, it just doesn't look right in gold.

I forgot about the Sauron extra rings. I do own that one and set the extra rings aside, where though I haven't got a clue. But seeing pictures of the way it looks, I'm not liking it that much more then the one that came with Frodo.
I'll have to track them down and try it out for myself.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Does anybody have an extra ring or two they'd be willing to part with? I'd really prefer that one, and my Sauron is back home in California. If you can help me let me know!

Does anybody have an extra ring or two they'd be willing to part with? I'd really prefer that one, and my Sauron is back home in California. If you can help me let me know!

If I had known you were in Utah...I could have dropped one off on the way through. Just took the I15 through yesterday coming back from some training.

Actually, though I will be a while before I can dig mine out...like months. But if you still need one when I get to mine, I'll send it.

As for the figures...I am VERY bemused about the splits in the joints. Even though it will be an easy fix.

But other than that, Frodo (haven't opened Sam yet), is a serious winner!

I don't know how these shin splits get through SSC's quality control but my Sam did get through and come to me with glaring splits. :monkey2

LOR-Sam-Legs.jpg

In my opinion, the splits are all about Hot Toys' involvement. As good as their figures are...the Hot Toys human figures have a reputation for these splits. It is easy enough to take the feet out, glue the splits, and re-insert the feet, though.

Yeah, if it really irks you just use a little superglue and problem fixed. Might even help to tighten up the joints.

In my opinion, the splits are all about Hot Toys' involvement. As good as their figures are...the Hot Toys human figures have a reputation for these splits. It is easy enough to take the feet out, glue the splits, and re-insert the feet, though.

None of my Hot Toys figures have that and none of them are loose.

Were these even done at a Hot Toys factory? From this thread, the only thing they did was cut in the articulation.

I got my extra hobbit bodies from Toy Anxiety today, along with an extra set of their base clothes and some suspenders because I wanted to see how they would look. The ones I got were white, so I had to make them black (actually used a sharpie for that) and then I sewed them onto the pants. I think they look pretty good. I'm actually not sure if Sam ever wore suspenders on screen, but it "feels" right for him anyway.

sam_suspenders1.jpg
sam_suspenders2.jpg

I also got a DiD "one ring" for Frodo (the last one Toy Anxiety had, unfortunately). Some people had mentioned the DiD version earlier in the thread and I'd like to confirm that it is better than the Sideshow one, although neither one has the right color chain. The DiD ring is apparently metal and hangs much better than the Sideshow one, and it even appears to have something that looks like runes on it. The chain is also considerably finer, so the ring stands out more.

two_one_rings.jpg

I was just reading one of the customer reviews on the SSC website and someone mentioned that Frodo needs Bilbo's mithril shirt.

While this is a very good observation I'm not sure if it was 100% required - we only really see him 'wearing' it after Aragorn examines him in Moria after the cave troll almost skewers him (like a wild boar!) with its spear. Surely it would just bulk the outfit too much - or they could've given a 'hint' of it being there... a lining just below the collar instead of a full on article of clothing/armour.

Other than that, we see it fully when Bilbo passes it onto him, the orcs handle it a bit in Cirith Ungol and with the Mouth of Sauron in the extended editions. So maybe it could've been an exclusive? Made in a similar way to Boromir's chain sleeves?

I'm not nit-picking or anything (I dont even own these guys yet... so i cant say nuttin!) I just wanted to get others opinions on the matter. I'm gonna luv these little hobbitses when they finally come to me in Tolkiens homeland!

Would have been a nice thing to have but its not something anyone is going to see with the figure so I don't mind it not being there.

Back