FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3222.jpg

I'm thinking a Figuremaster Les repaint for the upcoming 1/6th Gandalf. One-of-a-kind, baby!

:D

...That people seem so eager to spend $70 is what I really can't comprehend. For these characters I spent it, but I did it very grudgingly. But now that the bar has been set at this level, when it comes to non-Fellowship characters, I doubt I will spend it, grudgingly or not. Yet some of the comments in this thread at least give me the impression that the new price point is not only acceptable, but welcome.

I agree 100%. I went into this line specifically to obtain a complete Fellowship. I'm willing to spend the bucks to do so, but I'm not liking the rising costs and it will certainly affect my purchasing of any other non-Fellowship figures.

Speaking of grudgingly, I need to bring the following up once more. I truly hope that Sideshow has dumped the factory responsible for the Faramir paint-aps fiasco. If Frodo and/or Sam come with a similar crappy finish, it may end up dooming the line because of the high price and the expected high quality in paint apps.

Speaking of grudgingly, I need to bring the following up once more. I truly hope that Sideshow has dumped the factory responsible for the Faramir paint-aps fiasco. If Frodo and/or Sam come with a similar crappy finish, it may end up dooming the line because of the high price and the expected high quality in paint apps.

I agree with you there. Faramir was the worst paint job of all the 12-inch LOTR production pieces IMO.

I agree Fly. Bad paint apps will kill this quicker than any price IMO.

Cap that Faramir looks great! I haven't done anything 2 mine and probably won't just cause I'm too lazy to send it off now.

Glad to see the exlusives were still available after getting out of my Marathon meetings. $70 seems a bit steep but I guess we are paying for the new HT bodies and hopefully better paint apps.

While I like the over look and likeness of the preproduction figures, there is something that is throwing me off about the face sculpts. Does anyone else think the faces have a "baby/cupie doll" look to them?

All thanks to Les. It's so life like it creeps me out--too bad all my other figures look like trash next to him. :lol He's the prize of my entire collection.

Some of you guys want sideshow to give these away. :lol

I don't think asking for SSC.com to compete more reasonably with their own retailers who are selling Bormir and Legolas for $45 and Faramir for $50 is asking them to give them away.

The most diehard fans that want the special accessory are being punked. It was maybe worth it when SSC was making the cloaks exclusive, but not for dinky Lembas bread!

SSC is already making $10-$15 atleast more per figure by skipping the middleman. $5 more wouldn't be too bad for the additional accessory, but they want full MSRP?

I don't think asking for SSC.com to compete more reasonably with their own retailers who are selling Bormir and Legolas for $45 and Faramir for $50 is asking them to give them away.

The most diehard fans that want the special accessory are being punked. It was maybe worth it when SSC was making the cloaks exclusive, but not for dinky Lembas bread!

SSC is already making $10-$15 atleast more per figure by skipping the middleman. $5 more wouldn't be too bad for the additional accessory, but they want full MSRP?

Vote with you dollar, is the best I can tell you. Those that are willing to paythe price will pay.

Why should SS sell the exclusives at the same price or near what the regulars are being sold at? That's silly IMO that fans should expect them to. You're getting more stuff so you're gonna pay more.

You can say I'm being punked but I don't have a problem paying more for my exclusive than you are a regular from someone else.

In any other case Josh that's true, but for a snippet of plastic like the single piece of lembas, it's unfortunate. I'm only speaking of Sam mind you. I'm too excited though to be concerned, I will sadly pay the price and happily receive the figure. :rolleyes:

...That people seem so eager to spend $70 is what I really can't comprehend. For these characters I spent it, but I did it very grudgingly. But now that the bar has been set at this level, when it comes to non-Fellowship characters, I doubt I will spend it, grudgingly or not. Yet some of the comments in this thread at least give me the impression that the new price point is not only acceptable, but welcome.

Agree about 9" Frodo and Sam being equivalent to a 12" figure.

Disagree though that $70 is "reasonable" when you can find figures like Boromir selling from retailers for $45.

A $15-$20 markup for dime sized accessories and the gold sticker on the box is not worth it.

And RoboDad, I completely agree with you. Speaking of subtext, I can't help but get the feeling that there is an elitist subtext behind the welcoming of higher prices. Some people I believe are willing to endure price increases if it means less normal collectors can buy them.

Right. No matter what line, or what item. I've said it several times before:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=237561&postcount=51

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=359379&postcount=86

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=359536&postcount=107

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=507300&postcount=78

It is pretty disturbing indeed when people constantly 'understand' every prize SSC fixes. Like giving them a 'carte blanche'.

In any other case Josh that's true, but for a snippet of plastic like the single piece of lembas, it's unfortunate. I'm only speaking of Sam mind you. I'm too excited though to be concerned, I will sadly pay the price and happily receive the figure. :rolleyes:

I'll have to give on Sam. The lembas isn't something I would go gaga over as far as an exclusive. Probably should have used the Elven Cloak as the exclusive on him or done the bread, little thing the salt was in, and a couple of other little things.

Back