FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to give on Sam. The lembas isn't something I would go gaga over as far as an exclusive. Probably should have used the Elven Cloak as the exclusive on him or done the bread, little thing the salt was in, and a couple of other little things.

That sounds like it would have been very cool. At least something more--even if it were 3 pieces of lembas instead of one. As it is, Frodo and Sam will starve before they can even make it to Ithilien. :monkey2

Why should SS sell the exclusives at the same price or near what the regulars are being sold at? That's silly IMO that fans should expect them to. You're getting more stuff so you're gonna pay more.

You can say I'm being punked but I don't have a problem paying more for my exclusive than you are a regular from someone else.

I said $5 more is reasonable. $15 more if the exclusive is something big. Other than that, you're paying more for the right to be "exclusive" than you are for the actual piece of plastic.

A figure like Sam you are getting the first 5 pieces the size of the Lembas for say $3 each. But the 6th piece is suddenly $15? Doesn't compute in that sense.

I'd much rather give SSC my money than a middleman, but keep it reasonable.

Right. No matter what line, or what item. I've said it several times before:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=237561&postcount=51

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=359379&postcount=86

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=359536&postcount=107

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=507300&postcount=78

It is pretty disturbing indeed when people constantly 'understand' every prize SSC fixes. Like giving them a 'carte blanche'.

From my POV there is nothing elist in what I'm saying. I'm not that kind of a person. So I kind take offense to that even being said. However, just like anything else in life the price goes up on some stuff and there is some stuff you can't afford. That's life. It sucks. I don't want to see that happen to people here when it comes to collectibles but it does. I'd love to have that CM Predator. I can't afford it though. So should I be upset with CM cause thats the price they charged?

I'll have to give on Sam. The lembas isn't something I would go gaga over as far as an exclusive. Probably should have used the Elven Cloak as the exclusive on him or done the bread, little thing the salt was in, and a couple of other little things.

The Elven Rope would have been the ideal exclusive!!!

I don't think there's anything wrong with speaking out against a price, but of course that doesn't mean people should step on each other's toes over what another person thinks. There isn't any situation so bad that complaining about it won't make it worse. Just as long as it's civil and understanding of how other people feel. No need to take any offense. Some feel one way, some another. Rather than try to tip the scales in our favor, let's let them hang and balance out naturally. Yeah, they're expensive. For some it's worth it, to others, no. So be it.

All I know is, I'm gonna be dang poor in a few months, but I won't regret the decision, overly-priced though it may be. I can live with that. :cool:

That sounds like it would have been very cool. At least something more--even if it were 3 pieces of lembas instead of one. As it is, Frodo and Sam will starve before they can even make it to Ithilien. :monkey2

Yeah, they won't make it far on just one piece. Sam should have had more than just one piece.

I said $5 more is reasonable. $15 more if the exclusive is something big. Other than that, you're paying more for the right to be "exclusive" than you are for the actual piece of plastic.

Do we know what the regular price is gonna be on the Hobbits? It might not be more than $5. Sam is the one time I've seen where the extra item doesn't totally justify the cost. However, I also don't look at the Hobbits as normal figures.

The Elven Rope would have been the ideal exclusive!!!

That would have been perfect I agree.

I don't think there's anything wrong with speaking out against a price, but of course that doesn't mean people should step on each other's toes over what another person thinks. There isn't any situation so bad that complaining about it won't make it worse. Just as long as it's civil and understanding of how other people feel. No need to take any offence. Some feel one way, some another. Rather than try to tip the scales in out favor, let's let them hang and balance out naturally. Yeah, they're expensive. For some it's worth it, to others, no. So be it.

All I know is, I'm gonna be dang poor in a few months, but I won't regret the decision, overly-priced though it may be. I can live with that. :cool:

I agree Cap. :duff

From my POV there is nothing elist in what I'm saying. I'm not that kind of a person. So I kind take offense to that even being said. However, just like anything else in life the price goes up on some stuff and there is some stuff you can't afford. That's life. It sucks. I don't want to see that happen to people here when it comes to collectibles but it does. I'd love to have that CM Predator. I can't afford it though. So should I be upset with CM cause thats the price they charged?

"I'm not that kind of person." So says the "Superfan". LOL.

Come on.

Go ahead and buy if you think its still worth it, but to go ahead and vocally encourage SSC to raise prices is a bit ridiculous.

True, though I don't think Pix meant any harm. :cool: Yeah there's some crazy prices going on, but there's not much we can do about it anymore. That's ok. Fortunately you can get a regular and really not miss anything in this case. I'll just explore my options rather than worry about what I can't immediately change.

...knowing there are enough souls willing to comply.

...and because those souls exist is exactly the reason why they can do it. I don't mean to over simplify the matter but the hard reality is this: If it isn't worth $70 to you either a) don't buy it or b) wait for some to sell it for cheaper.

I mean, I may not like the outlandishly elevated price of a house but I can't expect a seller to sell for less than what the market is demanding. Besides, if you look at it this way, Sideshow still sells their figs far below what the industry standard sells theirs at.

What I don't understand is the fear-mongering that being willing to say "I'll pay for that" is gonna make sideshow go nuts with the price. :D

What I don't understand is the fear-mongering that being willing to say "I'll pay for that" is gonna make sideshow go nuts with the price. :D

fear-mongering --I gotta use that term some time!

Pix has a point though, I doubt Sideshow will take every figure and raise the price exponentially. Legolas was, after all cheaper, though I'm sure they could have gotten away with a little more. Now when we get to Merry and Pippen, we'll see what happens. But for Frodo and Sam with this wonderful quality, I'm OK with it--this from the kid who starved for four days to get Obi-Wan Kenobi. :rolleyes:

"I'm not that kind of person." So says the "Superfan". LOL.

Come on.

Go ahead and buy if you think its still worth it, but to go ahead and vocally encourage SSC to raise prices is a bit ridiculous.

So I'm an elitist because I have the monaker SuperFan? WOW!! :rolleyes: You don't know know well enough nor have you met me to judge if I'm an elitist or down to earth. I think anyone on this board who has met me more than once would say I'm pretty down 2 earth.

I will buy if I think its worth it. Thanks for telling me how to spend my money. :) I didn't say to raise the price. Nothing of the kind. You might wanna go back and re-read my posts. All I've said is that I understand why the price on these is what it is and that I'm willing to pay it because of those reasons.

You don't. Then don't. :)

Good question but I guess that makes you an elitist too. :lol

fear-mongering --I gotta use that term some time!

Pix has a point though, I doubt Sideshow will take every figure and raise the price exponentially. Legolas was, after all cheaper, though I'm sure they could have gotten away with a little more. Now when we get to Merry and Pippen, we'll see what happens. But for Frodo and Sam with this wonderful quality, I'm OK with it--this from the kid who starved for four days to get Obi-Wan Kenobi. :rolleyes:

Well. SSC did just that when the base price for SW figures went from $49 to $54. LOTR figures were base priced at $60. Indiana Jones figures are now base priced at $75. Now Hobbits are $70. Anyone else see a pattern?

I agree whole heartedly about the "you don't have to buy it". And guess what, I ain't! But I guarantee you that SSC would benefit more from hearing us say why now rather than suddenly have a mystery of why something didn't sell.

One thing I can guarantee you is you're all benefiting more from those speaking up than from those saying "go ahead and charge more".

...and because those souls exist is exactly the reason why they can do it. I don't mean to over simplify the matter but the hard reality is this: If it isn't worth $70 to you either a) don't buy it or b) wait for some to sell it for cheaper.

I mean, I may not like the outlandishly elevated price of a house but I can't expect a seller to sell for less than what the market is demanding. Besides, if you look at it this way, Sideshow still sells their figs far below what the industry standard sells theirs at.

Pix you are exactly right. This is why I stopped buying Gentle Giant. To show them I won't put up with their exclusive debacle. Will it effect GG not receiving my money. No becasue their is another idiot behind me who will gladly do it. I guess if you don't want to pay don't. If you feel you have been wronged than just don't buy it. I don't like the price. But, hey they are pretty cool and a must have for me. So I am a little torn.

Exponentially? Probably not. But don't think for even a minute that they aren't "testing the waters" a bit. That's the way business works. They are in the business of maximizing profits (and there's nothing inherently wrong with that -- no profit = no business).

However, I have no doubt that the only reason prices are still as "low" as they are is because Sideshow does not think the market would bear it if they were too much higher (right now). If you ran a company, and you knew that you could charge $100 for a product and it would still sell well, why would you ever consider selling it for $70?

It is up to us, the customers, to help them keep themselves in check. And "voting with our wallets" is not the only (or even the best) way to do that. They need to know when, even though we are still willing to pay a given price, it is very unpleasant to do so, and may even seem "unfair" on some level.

Back