FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
releasing the other 2 hobbits at SDCC may increase the interest in frodo and sam and help them sell out the remaining inventory.

That's a tough one though. I see some logic in that line of thinking, but looking at the situation, it's hard to think that action would work out.

While LOTR is an ensemble and there isn't just 1 or 2 main characters, Frodo and Sam are at the top of the list as far as their story importance, and that fact alone isn't enough to help their sales, and the release of GTG had no impact on it either. The only way I could see and SDCC reveal helping Frodo and Sam sales is if they finish of the Fellowship there, if people see that oh, in another year, the Fellowship will be complete (let's face it, i think we'll go through the same ordeal as Frodo and Sam with whatever shows at SDCC, it's just fact LOTR figures take a long time to come out), then they may get excited. The vibe I get from a lot of SSC LOTR 1/6 collectors is they love the line, want to see it take off, but are weary from it's pace and at the least, they want the Fellowship so if SSC can meet minimum expectation, could be the jolt the line needs to get a strong pulse back.

I've been broke for about 3 years straight. :lol

At least 3 years for me as well. :lol
--------------------------------------------------------------

I agree whatever they announce at SDCC 1:6th wise will help the line to a degree. How much? I think that depends on what characters get announced.

Well I still have high hopes for this line, beyond just the Fellowship. If they were willing to make Faramir, they must surely have at least a few other non-Fellowship characters in the wings. I for one think it's very possible.

Well I still have high hopes for this line, beyond just the Fellowship. If they were willing to make Faramir, they must surely have at least a few other non-Fellowship characters in the wings. I for one think it's very possible.

I'm with ya Cap. I think this line has so much potential that if people will just be willing to stick with it we will be rewarded.

Anything is possible, but I think at this point, they need to A) complete the Fellowship and B) not have another Faramir mishap with future figures and C) have Frodo and Sam live up to expectation after the long delay in order to keep a strong enough following to make this line worth rolling out more figures. It is in the end about $$$ and if they won't sell it won't be worth making them for the small number who want to follow it all the way. If there are any issues with Frodo and Sam with people, all hope for seeing this line run a long course will rest with Gandalf, if he takes a long time to get and has problems, it could be the fall of the line.

I think we can pretty much count on it, Cap. It takes them a long time to develop each figure, but I don't believe they have any plan to abandon the line after the Fellowship, in fact I believe they're still just getting started. There are still so many great characters to be made. I can hardly wait until they announce the first armored LOTR figure!

Anything is possible, but I think at this point, they need to A) complete the Fellowship and B) not have another Faramir mishap with future figures and C) have Frodo and Sam live up to expectation after the long delay in order to keep a strong enough following to make this line worth rolling out more figures. It is in the end about $$$ and if they won't sell it won't be worth making them for the small number who want to follow it all the way. If there are any issues with Frodo and Sam with people, all hope for seeing this line run a long course will rest with Gandalf, if he takes a long time to get and has problems, it could be the fall of the line.

Do not give up hope! The stars may shine on even the darkest future.

36_0201.jpg

Do not give up hope! The stars may shine on even the darkest future.

There's plenty I'd like to see out of this line, I just try to be realistic too. The Terminator 2 line at the very least needed one more figure to be complete but the sales weren't there and it's died. I wasn't part of it but I know other lines have died. If there isn't momentum, lines fade and the impression I get from people bailing on the Hobbits is that there's too much else going on to keep with this line and an expectation that after a long wait, the figures should be near perfect. I just think this line is laying on the table right now and SSC is hitting it with the paddles, if they find the right combination, they can jolt some life back into it and keep it going, but if they can't, I fear it will flat line.

There's plenty I'd like to see out of this line, I just try to be realistic too. The Terminator 2 line at the very least needed one more figure to be complete but the sales weren't there and it's died. I wasn't part of it but I know other lines have died. If there isn't momentum, lines fade and the impression I get from people bailing on the Hobbits is that there's too much else going on to keep with this line and an expectation that after a long wait, the figures should be near perfect. I just think this line is laying on the table right now and SSC is hitting it with the paddles, if they find the right combination, they can jolt some life back into it and keep it going, but if they can't, I fear it will flat line.

I don't think they'd have invested all the time and money in developing the new Hobbit-sized bodies with Hot Toys if they were worried about lack of interest and the possibility of the line fizzling out. I agree that the quality issues need to be dealt with in order to ensure that the core of dedicated LOTR collectors will stay on board, and I'm really hoping that Frodo and Sam will manage to restore confidence and provide that needed assurance for anyone who has doubts about the line's future.

seriously, it's the wait between figures that is killing this line. i will be a completist of this line if it takes me the rest of my life but i must say that the thrill is kinda gone for me. im definately not excited like i was when they first announced this line. i was expecting to be hit with figures every other month like SW. now that its taking so long for figures ive found other lines to take up the void.

I don't think they'd have invested all the time and money in developing the new Hobbit-sized bodies with Hot Toys if they were worried about lack of interest and the possibility of the line fizzling out. I agree that the quality issues need to be dealt with in order to ensure that the core of dedicated LOTR collectors will stay on board, and I'm really hoping that Frodo and Sam will manage to restore confidence and provide that needed assurance for anyone who has doubts about the line's future.

Well, the hobbit bodies are good for more than just hobbits. Children, for example. I don't think they would have gone to the trouble to develop the bodies if they thought they would only be able to use them for the handful of hobbit characters from LOTR (and maybe Gimli).

seriously, it's the wait between figures that is killing this line. i will be a completist of this line if it takes me the rest of my life but i must say that the thrill is kinda gone for me. im definately not excited like i was when they first announced this line. i was expecting to be hit with figures every other month like SW. now that its taking so long for figures ive found other lines to take up the void.

That is the key thing going against this line. Sideshow own products as well as Hot Toys and Medicom are rolling at 100 miles an hour while the LOTR 1/6 line creeping along. Haven't 3 LOTR dioramas shipped between SDCC 2007 and Frodo and Sam shipping? Prices are going up on all collectibles and the ammount of products available are increasing, to keep a large enough collector base to make a line worthwhile, you have to keep the product on a decent roll or the following is going to move on because most people buying LOTR 1/6 also collect the other properties that are hot now and for anyone, if your on a budget and your choice is buy something going strong or buy something that's here and there, most are going to stick with strong.

Well, the hobbit bodies are good for more than just hobbits. Children, for example. I don't think they would have gone to the trouble to develop the bodies if they thought they would only be able to use them for the handful of hobbit characters from LOTR (and maybe Gimli).

Yeah, that small body will get plenty of use in the Star Wars line I'm sure, not to mention Short Round for Indy.

ps. i believe i said months ago that these will get pushed back from Q1 to Q2 and not just any part of Q2 but the last possible part of Q2 which would be the end of June. Goddamn, im smart.

Of course they're planning to use them for other figures, we know they'll most likely be using it for Yoda and probably some of the other diminutive Star Wars characters, too. Gimli will most certainly be based on the new body too, with some necessary adjustments. But in order to do the Hobbits, they really had to solve the smaller size body issue, or forget about 'em, which is why I think they decided to develop the smaller bodies in the first place.

Now that they have it, it will also give them the option of making children, but are there really any child characters they could make that people would actually buy? Newt would no doubt sell, and possibly young Anakin, but my guess is that they'll most likely end up using them for all the new Dwarves that will be coming with the release of the Hobbit and the LOTR Prologue.

Edit: And "Shorty" from TOD too, by all means!

Back