Gamorrean Guard 12"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the quality of paint work this is likely to have, I'm ok with it being priced like any other figure. Hasbro had a shot and it was decent out of the box, that's what $30 get you. Figure how much it would cost you to get a good repaint and futzing of that poor figure and it'd be just about the same as a nice one out of the box from Sideshow at $100.

if it's rotocast, and it's over 60, then it's overpriced imo. Rotocast is not some new mysterious method. if he has a new, "fat guy" rubber body suit, then, he can be over 100$ and be worth it.

The base roto cast isn't anything major, but I do consider quality of paint apps and certainly good quality costuming pieces to be worthwhile.

Jabba is just a holo vinyl piece, but the paint work is fantastic. I'm still blown away by how beautifully and subtly the colors are blended together, no harsh lines, good use of highlights and darks to pop some of the detail.

That's what I look forward to most on Sideshow Gammy, a really nice paint job that captures all the subtle and soft tonal variations of the snout and the lips and all.

The base roto cast isn't anything major, but I do consider quality of paint apps and certainly good quality costuming pieces to be worthwhile.

Jabba is just a holo vinyl piece, but the paint work is fantastic. I'm still blown away by how beautifully and subtly the colors are blended together, no harsh lines, good use of highlights and darks to pop some of the detail.

That's what I look forward to most on Sideshow Gammy, a really nice paint job that captures all the subtle and soft tonal variations of the snout and the lips and all.

So long as they mold it in the green flesh color.

so that if the paint rubs, you don't notice.

Yes, jabba was roto, and high quality. but jabba should have had atleast a "neck" joint.

roto looks cheap alot of the time, and whensomething is Roto, companies leave out joints that should be there.

the gammy needs articulation in his hips, thighs, knees, ankles, waist, shoulders, elbows, wrists, and neck.

if he's rotot, he's not going to have all that.

Wasn't thinking about paint rubbing, usually when I think of casting in a color it's because it's a better look for the use than paint.

As for the articulation, Hasbro's pretty much had all the articulation you could really need out of a Gammy, if it comes with the staff, ability to hold it with 2 hands would be key.

I don't think most of the points in lerath's list are needed or could possibly hurt the display of the figure, like ankles, there's a lot of weight to support. The film Gamorrean's weren't overly physical, their walking looked almost like a Penguin waddling (if that's how you spell it), they barely moved their arms or head. Gamorrean figure is about asethetics more than posability.

so that if the paint rubs, you don't notice.

Yes, jabba was roto, and high quality. but jabba should have had atleast a "neck" joint. roto looks cheap alot of the time, and whensomething is Roto, companies leave out joints that should be there. the gammy needs articulation in his hips, thighs, knees, ankles, waist, shoulders, elbows, wrists, and neck. if he's rotot, he's not going to have all that.

Over time, continual posing will wear down the clear coat and eventually the paint apps. However, if he's molded in the Gammy flesh tone, it'll be considerably less noticeable.

ss_2.jpg

Going off the pic, save the shoulders, all I see are cut joints. Assuming the shoulders are likely straight-up sockets with front and back movement, there's a cut neck, biceps, wrists, waist and hips.

Biceps may not even be cut, that could just be the cloth line with no articulation at that point, could be articulation, but may not too.

372px-Gamorrean_Guard_with_Axe.jpg

Why would they need all of that articulation? In the film, they did little more than waddle around. Shoulders, wrist, waist and neck should be enough for these guys.

Biceps may not even be cut, that could just be the cloth line with no articulation at that point, could be articulation, but may not too.

372px-Gamorrean_Guard_with_Axe.jpg

Bicep cuts are crucial to posing him. If he can't grip his axe (and hopefully his spear) with both hands, or lift his arm and flatten his hand on a shoulder, elbow out, that's gonna be a HUGE fail. I'm hoping they'll also add elbow joints.

Arm posability with the weapons is the most critical articulation point, and basically where Hasbro's fails, it can hold the weapons but it can't pose with them in such a way to look like it's a threat.

I'd like to have the ability to hold the staff with both hands on an angle like when they cross them to block Luke's entrance.

Arm posability with the weapons is the most critical articulation point, and basically where Hasbro's fails, it can hold the weapons but it can't pose with them in such a way to look like it's a threat.

I'd like to have the ability to hold the staff with both hands on an angle like when they cross them to block Luke's entrance.

Now you're seeing what I'm talking about. :lol

The best way to do this figure is how Hot Toys does the Dutch figure. With a rubber body over a figure. That way you can have some articulation and not see the joints.

review_gstdutch_8.jpg

I've yet to see any pics of Dutch in dramatic poses. The rubber appears to render those elbows almost useless.

Last edited:
Yup, as much as folks are anti joint visibility, I'll take it for posability. The best route is a mix of no joint aesthetics and jointed construction. Hot Toys' Wolverine is a good example. Overally it looks more like their muscle body figures, but it's fully articulated plastic so you can actually pose it.

I'm sure Sideshow will do a good job of making the joints show as little as possible on the Gamorrean.

Why would they need all of that articulation? In the film, they did little more than waddle around. Shoulders, wrist, waist and neck should be enough for these guys.

I suppose, but realistically you could say that about a lot of characters. People don't just want to replicate what happened in the films -- they want to be able to come up with original poses.

Back