Getting Priced out, how about you?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hobby isn't really offering me anything I want; my last HT figure (Mantis) finally arrived after a two-year wait. I may buy Wolverine & Deadpool, but think they'll be oversold to retail who will be forced to dump them cheap.

Meanwhile tons of third party companies offering loads of stuff I've pre-ordered but they are so behind delivering, I'm not spending anything.

So, not sure if I'm being priced out or bored out - I don't need another batman / Joker / Iron Man / Predator / Alien / Etc. 1/6 offerings from major manufacturors are as boring as the action figure aisles in Walmart & Target - besides Manga figs, it's the same IP going back 25 years now.

YAWN

I used to have quite few 1:4, 1:10 and 1:12 figures but sold most off to go primarily 1:6 (plus lately some more 1:18).

I am happy sticking solely to 1:6 for detail/articulation/customisability and 1:18 for variety and vehicles. I will likely never sell off those two categories of collectible.

I also will likely never go into statues. Most don't actually look as good as a 1:6 figure, are fragile and take up way too much space, not to mention the high cost. Just not worth it IMHO.

I really need to see a JND piece in hand,
it’s just a lot of money and time to put down on a statue that may or may not look how you’re expecting in hand. Photos can throw sculpts off, it’s easier and quicker to figure out if a 1:6 piece is any good or not, due to more people purchasing it, therefore more photos to surface, in a multitude of environments. Better ability to gage what your eyes are seeing through a screen.

That JND Returns Catwoman is limited to 300 & 600 units worldwide with the likelihood that the majority of its buyers are in Asia and don’t all communicate via a forum like this or IG. Without JND’s unboxing videos, collectors tend to be a bit in the dark, that’s worrisome at $3-4k per statue traveling across the world as heavy as they are.

For the past 2 years, I've been saying my collection is nearly complete and I won't spend any more money on these collectibles; just a couple more characters and I'll be done, but then every year they come out with new ones that I want to have. It's an addiction.

Last edited:
I'm not winding out of the hobby, I just extremely refined it. Hot Toys weren't enjoyable to me at all anymore, sold all of them save two. Wanted to try Inart, think they're a lot better than Hot Toys, but there seems to be a lot of inconsistency and don't really want to build a huge 1/6 anymore, so probably won't delve too much into that.

Never wanted or was interested in statue collecting, and yet JND came and I own 7 statues now since Fleck as a first release - first of all, they're too big to shift like a Hot Toy figure, so I don't go for releases unless I really want them, and have not even thought really, aside from WW84 due to have a double character, of selling them.

Therefore I found the version of collectibles that really is exactly what I was looking for this whole time. Combine that with being extremely selective of 'do I actually like these characters and want to keep them'. You don't need to bow out of collecting, just really prioritize and reflect a lot on which one's bring you the most joy.

I realised an aspect of this hobby that I really hate is getting a figure, and then 3-4 years later getting an updated version of the same one, I'd rather just pay more money and have one I really love that realistically won't be topped in the next decade or two.

Not getting priced out myself, the prices came back down to Earth after the ridiculous hikes of 2020-2021. Definitely winding down the collecting as I move toward early retirement and nearly obtaining everything that I have wanted from a collecting standpoint. The last decade has been really good. I'm also not addicted to this collecting game as I've seen with some others in here. Some of you need an intervention!

Speaking personally, I actually just got back into collecting again after a 3-year dry spell. It's actually a hobby I got back into because I have had less time/desire to play video games (especially newer ones) which is where most of my disposable/hobby income had been going. I used to collect 1:12 and 1:10 scale figures but that scale really fed into my completionist/consumerist tendencies. Felt like I was just accumulating crap. I got my first 1:6 figure this year, and it really is the perfect size-detail ratio for my needs and living situation. I think a lot of the brand-new releases are too expensive for what they are, but I have not been breaking my bank picking up some older releases. FWIW I do have an end goal in mind for my collecting and don't pick up more than 2 characters a franchise. I have only made 5 purchases this year but I can't imagine I would have made more even if they were lower priced.

Back