GI JOE 30th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GI JOE 25th Anniversary

I disagree...why?

The Club is selling these individually.BBTS and few others are carrying these aswell.I expect only to pay maybe $15-20 more each for figures I really want.

The Sub is expected to cost between $240-300 plus shipping for 12 figures (plus the free one)...(thats 9 figures I have no interest in)

CG,Boa,Jinx will cost me (if they are classic versions) $35-40 each likely.

Selling these will be a hassle trying to find buyers.Selling on Hisstank, where the people there want everything as cheap as possible, will not work.I dont sell on Ebay,so it doesn't work out for me...too much hassle in my opinion,so I'll pay the extra 15-20 to get what I really want.And if Jinx is way overpriced,I won't get her as she wasn't really that important to me...Cover Girl and Big Boa are a different story

If you post on hisstank what the prices are you don't get many people offering a lower price, just need to set the terms ealry before they start browsing....and if you don't sell on ebay...well...that's up to you, I have had a very profitable relationship with them, even though they do charge a good amount if you have lots to sell.

If just looking for 2-3 figures yeah paying more for them isn't a bad thing, I don't think this line is directed at people just looking to score a few, they are more like myself wanting to complete the set.

If Sideshow cancels the 12" line, I, as will many others, will just continue with the custom route, commissioning pieces from the fine artists here like Ski and MANDO.

As for the 1/18 Joes, I've been collecting them since '82, stopped before the Campbell garbage and DDP, and started again with the 25th Anny stuff. Since then I've been cherrypicking. But most of it ends up in bins, in the garage after I check them out, waiting for my son to stop biting the ____ing heads off action figures so I can display them in his room. :lol

Another con is that the 1/18 Joes tend to look like a clutter____ when displayed if it's not clean or if there're too many displayed. MOC is even worse if you try to display the lot of 'em, as your room tends to look like a juveniles with everything push-pinned up covering the walls. Great if you're a kid, an episode of Hoarders if you're a 30+ something. :lol

Campbell only did the covers for image, but even if you don't like the art, doesn't mean the story is bad, yes it is a different take on Joe, and isn't exactly like MArvel, but even the marvel run had its ups and downs, I still enjoyed images/ddp/and idw (even though haven't read many of the idw issues yet).

I have also been picking out the figures/vehicles I like from the new lines, I tried to be a completist for the 25th...well I still kinda am, but do not have the space to get everything from 30th ann and ROC/POC just too much stuff.

I used to hang on the carded figures with the starcase and the push pin, now I am trying to find a good spot, currently I have all my 25th figures in 1 1/2 expedits from ikea, not exactly how I wanted them but it looks decent for now and gets them up off the floor.

But that is playing with a toy. How boring it would have been to 8 years old and just store away your carded Joe or SW collection. Toys are ment to be played with, broken, painted, shot and blown up.

Someone at my old job said his father bought him tons of He Man/Joes and Transformers figures/playsets/vehicles and never let him open them, if he was lucky he would get a figure every couple months, must of been discounted or something at the time. Last I talked to him he was trying to get them from his parents attic.....oh the horror of 20+ years of attic environment to store these gems!

The Collector Club released another Big Turd today!

Iron Claw LOL!

While I try not to think of Extreme much, I am glad they are doing obscure characters, I know I wouldn't be subscribing if it was just Storm Shadow, Duke, SE, etc, reminds of when they did the character from MASK, the Joe Adventure team, Cold Slither Zarana, they aren't going to appeal to everyone but overall I think this will be a strong list.

Campbell only did the covers for image, but even if you don't like the art, doesn't mean the story is bad, yes it is a different take on Joe, and isn't exactly like MArvel, but even the marvel run had its ups and downs, I still enjoyed images/ddp/and idw (even though haven't read many of the idw issues yet).

I was referring to the figures. Several of the pre-25th anny figures were based on his designs and DDP's. They even had Campbell's artwork on the cardbacks. I remember seeing those in TRU, thinking, WTF did they do to Shipwreck?" :lol

As for the comics, we'll agree to disagree. Even Marvel got atrocious toward the end, when Hasbro was cramming so many characters into Hama's world.

If you post on hisstank what the prices are you don't get many people offering a lower price, just need to set the terms ealry before they start browsing....and if you don't sell on ebay...well...that's up to you, I have had a very profitable relationship with them, even though they do charge a good amount if you have lots to sell.

If just looking for 2-3 figures yeah paying more for them isn't a bad thing, I don't think this line is directed at people just looking to score a few, they are more like myself wanting to complete the set.

I just don't think the club Subscription is for me...(though I joined the Club for the classic Footloose) Hasbro has basically brought back the majority of the Classics era figures and I am a Full-on RAH characters fan and my years of Joe is 1982-1987 (some 88)...now if the subscription was this,I'd be all over it

Classic updates
Big Boa
Jinx
Covergirl
Iceberg
Cross Country
Raptor
Crystal Ball
Sneak Peek
Frostbite
Leatherneck (classic colors)
Monkey Wrench (proper Classic update)
Gung-ho (Marine Dress)

Love the list Teemu, but I have always HATED Raptor and Crystal ball...I would buy them if released on 25th card backs but they will be going in the way way back of the collection.

I was referring to the figures. Several of the pre-25th anny figures were based on his designs and DDP's. They even had Campbell's artwork on the cardbacks. I remember seeing those in TRU, thinking, WTF did they do to Shipwreck?" :lol

As for the comics, we'll agree to disagree. Even Marvel got atrocious toward the end, when Hasbro was cramming so many characters into Hama's world.

Ahh the pre Joes I didn't care for either, I had the TRU re release figures from 97? I think but everything after that I didn't look twice, I was into collecting comic art around that time, now I am wanting to get just a few things from that era which is Cobra Mountain and ROCC those looked pretty cool.

Hama has used the "Hasbro forced me to do it!" routine for years, but there's no excuse for some of the writing in there that he came up with. Just look at the Firefly issue...the one where he hypnotizes you just by looking at you to make you see whatever face he has. Um yeah.

Then there's the new stories, it all seemed fine and dandy until Sneak Peek is walking around drinking coffee. Remember he got shot to pieces back in the old issues? And Dusty carried his corpse for hours to confirm for his mother, but it is now all an elaborate hoax. I'm not making that crap up, that's Hama's work, and I'd bet Hasbro isn't breathing down his neck to push a new Sneak Peek figure. And out of all the guys he could have brought back, Quick Kick, Doc, Flash, no he chooses Sneak Peek. Larry Hama, you are becoming the George Lucas of G.I. JOE.

No disrespect to the GI JOE COLLECTOR'S CLUB, but given the subscription characters previewed so far . . . it appears that this is eliciting the same response that collectors made regarding Mattel Toys Matty Collector website's subscription for their DC figures where collectors had to acquire/purchase . . . "lame" characters just to acquire bonus parts that comes with each figure to build a larger figure.

Granted, this is GI JOE and not DC figures, but how many "lame" characters must a collector go through on the hope or merit that the bonus 13th figure will truly be a home run character?

Hama has used the "Hasbro forced me to do it!" routine for years, but there's no excuse for some of the writing in there that he came up with. Just look at the Firefly issue...the one where he hypnotizes you just by looking at you to make you see whatever face he has. Um yeah.

There comes a point, when there's so much ____ being dumped in your lap you just try to shove it all in. You can tell when Hasbro isn't releasing producs in the older comics because they flowed and then, when they did, the stories became a convoluted mess. It's fine when it's a character or two, but the team ____... ugh. Battleforce 2000 and Ninja Force are two perfect examples.

Then there's the new stories, it all seemed fine and dandy until Sneak Peek is walking around drinking coffee. Remember he got shot to pieces back in the old issues? And Dusty carried his corpse for hours to confirm for his mother, but it is now all an elaborate hoax. I'm not making that crap up, that's Hama's work, and I'd bet Hasbro isn't breathing down his neck to push a new Sneak Peek figure. And out of all the guys he could have brought back, Quick Kick, Doc, Flash, no he chooses Sneak Peek. Larry Hama, you are becoming the George Lucas of G.I. JOE.

Just thought I'd wrap all that up because some of us are waiting to read the new stuff until IDW finishes releasing the old stuff. :wink1:

As much as I love the Joes I am going to pass on the sub. There is to much coming from HT and SSC to be tied to another line.

Subscription figures at $20-$25 is small potatoes compared to SS and hot toys at $125-$200+.

I dunno. I'd rather have a single 1/6 figure at $150 that I really enjoy, then throwing away cash for the opportunity to buy a bunch of 1/18 figures I don't like at $20 a pop. :huh

I totally agree with Nam's statement here in general, but I think I'm going to "go back to my roots" and get the sub, and cut down the 12" stuff drastically. Pretty much the only stuff I'll be getting now is the Sideshow 12" Joe line, and I'm going to sell my Terminators, Predators, etc (got a thread started in the commerce section if you're interested! ;) )

Another con is that the 1/18 Joes tend to look like a clutter____ when displayed if it's not clean or if there're too many displayed. MOC is even worse if you try to display the lot of 'em, as your room tends to look like a juveniles with everything push-pinned up covering the walls. Great if you're a kid, an episode of Hoarders if you're a 30+ something. :lol

It's true, they're difficult to display well, but it can be done!

:exactly: Yup. As much as I love the 25th MOC look I still cant come up with a cool looking way to display them that doesn't look like a set from the 40 year old virgin.

Whoa, whoa, WHOA. Andy was CLEARLY a 12" figure collector! :lecture

The Collector Club released another Big Turd today!

Iron Claw LOL!

I think it's quite unfair to call this a "big turd" just because it's not a RAH figure.

As much of a RAH fan as I am, even I think it'd get a little boring if all they did were characters from '82-'87. Iron Claw is a welcome addition, imo.

I do think you're probably making the right decision by going the Ebay route if you only want 2-3 figures, though.

--

I got three and looking to acquire nine more to a complete 12 man squad. I wish they would have reissued the original APC troop carrier/vehicle that could hold a dozen or so figures.

Exactly! I was waiting for that to pop up and it never did. I'd pick up a half dozen or so to store the figures in. :(

Exactly! I was waiting for that to pop up and it never did. I'd pick up a half dozen or so to store the figures in. :(
--

Was anything close to a troop carrier ever released during the 25th Anniversary frenzy?

Heck, I'm tempted to buy one of 1:18 scale BRAVO TEAM M-2 Bradley or LAV vehicles.

Back