GI JOE 30th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GI JOE 25th Anniversary

:rock

I love the toy guide. I wish it had more picks of carded Joes and the vehicle packages but other than that its a first rate resource. I bet not many people know that the Dreadnoks were originally going to be evil teddy bear creatures serving Zartan (to capitalize on the "success" of ewoks--evil ewoks = "dreadwoks" or dreadnoks) until someone finally had the shockingly outlandish notion that biker thugs might be more intimidating than Teddy Ruxpins with attitude. :lol

The first I've ever heard of this, someone at Hasbro should've been fired for that idea.
It makes me think that the episode with the Fatal Fluffies (yes I had to look that up) might be the abandoned original idea, though I think they turned out more like Gremlins then Ewoks.
https://joeguide.com/summaries/the_pyramid_of_darkness/part1-2.shtml

I've heard that Dreadnok story for years and think whoever told it was playing with the person.

I've heard that Dreadnok story for years and think whoever told it was playing with the person.

Well I certainly can't confirm it any further other than to say it was noted by the author of that GI Joe toy guide and he received a lot of cooperation from Larry Hama when working on the book. I remember that episode screamingmetal mentioned, I wonder if that really was connected to the original idea for the Dreadnoks.

Aw crap, Stephen Sommers is apparently back on as the director of the Joe movie:

https://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=11686

"Marrying Steve's vision with 25 years of this brand mythology feels like a great way to go forward," Hasbro's Goldner said.

While some remember the character from its gung-ho fighting man '60s incarnation, he's evolved. G.I. Joe is now a Brussels-based outfit that stands for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, an international co-ed force of operatives who use hi-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil organization headed by a double-crossing Scottish arms dealer. The property is closer in tone to "X-Men" and James Bond than a war film.

So GI Joe is no longer a real American hero but a Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity? Very disappointing news.

That hack killed any hope for the Universal Monsters coming back in movies and he would for sure bury GI Joe.

Aw crap, Stephen Sommers is apparently back on as the director of the Joe movie:

https://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=11686

"Marrying Steve's vision with 25 years of this brand mythology feels like a great way to go forward," Hasbro's Goldner said.

While some remember the character from its gung-ho fighting man '60s incarnation, he's evolved. G.I. Joe is now a Brussels-based outfit that stands for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, an international co-ed force of operatives who use hi-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil organization headed by a double-crossing Scottish arms dealer. The property is closer in tone to "X-Men" and James Bond than a war film.

So GI Joe is no longer a real American hero but a Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity? Very disappointing news.

Prepare for full-tilt childhood rape.

Series 2 & 3 previewed over at Toy News International:
Series 2 High res Pictures
Series 3 High res Pictures

I'm not liking the way the hat looks on Lady Jay, the hat appears too small and high on her head:
63523ladyjayscaled600wl2.jpg

Who The F#@% is this supposed to be Popeye?? Shipwreck looks cartoony:
63520shipwrekscaled600rb5.jpg

Stalker, Beach Head and Firefly look fantastic, though I wish Stalker's camo was a different color, and why does he have blue eyes?:
63521stalkerscaled600jy7.jpg

63463beacheadscaled600lp2.jpg

63622fireflyscaled600ka0.jpg

BTW, it appears that Beach Head's body is reused for Firefly, great choice in my opinion.
Click the links for pics of Serpentor, Buzzer, Cobra Trooper, Red Ninja, and Zartan.

Last edited:

Uh-Oh it looks like Hasbro's regressing back to what they do best, screwing things up. I'm not really happy with these new figures except for Beachhead, and Zartan. They do appear to be taking on a new cartoonish look. Stalkers colors are horrible and why, WHY would he have blue eyes? Even Zartan looks a little cartoonish but not as bad as Shipwrek... I'm glad I got the first release figures before they destroyed the line, I knew I'd be getting out quick but this was sooner than anticipated.

Huh, I like the kilt, not sure about the sculpt, again its looking a little cartoonish. Why are his eyes black when on the card art they're blue??:eek:

Is there someone new working on these sculpt and paint apps???

Thanks for posting that, I looked everywhere for images before I realized they didn't exist yet.
Now having seen it, I'm glad I'm going to miss out. :monkey3

To tell you the truth I'm not in love with the Piper figure either. I'd still like to get it to see it in hand but the figure is okay, the card art is more akin to the Zartan card and not nearly as inspired as the art from the vintage line. Almost looks like a bad tatoo....

BTW I noticed your avatar, how cool is it that Beach Head's crossbow is finally removable from his Pack! :D

63463beacheadscaled600lp2.jpg

Beach Head just looks badass all around! I'm really happy with how he turned out. He's been a favorite of mine since I first saw him in the animated commercial for the Devilfish and Marvel GI Joe comic #47:

joe47.jpg

As for Stalker, Hasbro stated in a recent Q & A that they would do other color variants like with Snake Eyes' wolf. The Stalker sculpt is fantastic so hopefully there wil be a variant that looks more like this:

11stalkerqx7.png

Piper is a "Frankensteined" figure as we call it...basically he's a bunch of parts cobbled together from older figures and repainted to make a new character. Though some parts do look new to me.

Head: New Sculpt
Torso: Grunt (JvC Spytroops)
Arms: Hannibal (DTC Comic 3-Pack)
Crotchpiece: Don't recognize it, but probably been used before
Upper Legs: New perhaps?
Lower Legs: Spirit (DTC Comic 3-Pack)

Jacket: Hannibal (DTC Comic 3-Pack)
Kilt: New
Helmet: Serpentor Helmet (DTC Comic 3-Pack & Upcoming 25th Serpentor figure)

Here's some of my pics! Made me feel like a kid again... only I wish that Hasbro did a better job with their articulation. Sure they're MORE articulated but what good is it if the vintage figure could achieve better poses!

DSC00085.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

15.jpg

26.jpg

16-1.jpg

17-1.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

I finally opened a few of the 25th figures. They're cool and all but I've decided to just have a carded collection of them. So, I returned my boxsets since Hasbro will be releasing all of those figures as singles as well.

Back