GI JOE 30th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GI JOE 25th Anniversary

Thanks Teemu

Cool Recondo too.

Yeah but that's it I think for me. What are the chances Mindbender and Recondo making a singles blister card?

Right now, no idea. THere's nothing announced as upcoming for the 25th Anniversary line. The movie toys are the only thing in the pipe, and the general rumor is that Hasbro will pull the plug on Joe for a while if the movie toys flop.

My thoughts for now is to just grab the last two 7 packs and keep the ones I want, then sell the rest loose on eBay.

It's so hard to think that they are really thinking that these movie figures will do well...

Last edited:

ironhi10.jpg

can't wait to get these 7-packs. outback, ripcord, and recondo look friggin' awesome.

Angry Orc, you like the ole school GI's right? I know that you like ole school MOTU!!!!! :rock :rock :rock

right on, man! yah, i still collect vintage joes and 25th stuff along with my old school motu. though i have been guilty of buying some roc stuff as well (i can't help it...i'm a toy whore). all my 25th stuff has been purged a couple of times as i tend to go a bit overboard from time to time.

can't wait to get these 7-packs. outback, ripcord, and recondo look friggin' awesome.

My sets arrived today from BBTS. Just a couple thoughts on each:

JOES:

Chuckles - A little on the thin side with a head slightly oversized compared to the rest of the 25th Anniversary figures. It doesn't seem to suit the character since Chuckles was a fairly beefy guy in the comics. Comes with Destro's MARS suitcase, removeable knife, shoulder holster, and satchel. I was a little dissapointed the shoulder holster didn't have a removeable pistol like the original figure did, but not a dealbreaker. The Hawaiian print on the should could've use a little more contrast, but still looks OK.

Hit And Run - I had almost no interest in this character, but he's nicely done. Good camo print. The chest harness is from the jet pack versions of Duke and Stalker and looks out of place with his packpack. Otherwise, still a good figure.

Outback - This is a repainted version of the same that came with the flak cannon vehicle pack along with the Strato-Viper (renamed as Air-Viper). This version has a green shirt, black gloves, darker pants, and tan vest/webbing. I ended up just taking the tan webbing/vest and backpack and moving it over to the flak cannon version for a more accurate Outback. The flashlight on his left leg is also removeable.

Recondo - very nicely done, although for the life of me I can't figure out why he didn't come with a machete. The removeable hat was a nice though - I wasn't expecting it. I think most of the mold is the same as used for Dusty, but it is perfect for Recondo as well.

Spc Altitude - eh, screw Wayans. Here's the REAL Ripcord! This figure is very well done and one of my favorites out of the set. He has a nicely sculpted parachute along with removeable helmet and mask. I'm pretty sure the mask is the same one included with Blowtorch, which is where it gets kind of screwy - there's no place for the end to plug in! It just kind of sits there. The face sculpt could have been closer to the original figure - it kind of looks like an older John Wayne. I've got a couple of custom 3 3/4" heads and I'll probably come up with a better replacement. For now, I threw the ROC Duke on there. Looks OK under the helmet.

Wetsuit - OK, I'm getting a little tired of Hasbro over-using the Torpedo mold :lol It's a good mold, but it's well over used between Torpedo, the Eels, the Cobra frogmen, and a couple others I think. Anyway, still a fair mold and I liked the inclusion of the water scooter (or whatever it's called) and the backpack from the original Wetsuit figure. I might take a closer look at ROC Shipwreck's dive mask and see if it's worth adding.

Zap - Includes removeable helmet, two removable pistols, bazooka, and backpack with removable shells. Figure looks great and is very clean. He'll be right at home with the other greenshirts! Another one of the classics to add to the lineup!

COBRAS:

Air-Viper - This is a nice update of the Strato-Viper originally included with the Cobra Night Raven. There may be a part or two used from a previous mold (not positive), but this figure looks mostly original. I compared it to the one from my flak cannon vehicle set and it seems identical. Doesn't come with much (just a silver pistol) but given that he's a pilot, he doesn't need a great deal either. Due to the way the helmet is molded, it has very little up & down motion.

Alley-Viper - This guy is loaded! If it weren't for the bright neon colors, this would be one of my favorites of the set. However, the neon colors are accurate to the original. He comes with: tonfa stick, grappling gun, backpack, vest w/ removeable knife, MP5 variant machine gun, removeable helmet with flip-up visor, and riot shield. One of the oddest things is that the grappling gun is clearly supposed to clip into the backpack - except that it doesn't. Nothing pops into place and it just falls back out. The helmet is also too loose and falls off easily.

B.A.T.s (battle-damaged) - I do love the BATs design! This one is basically the same as the most recent carded collectors one that included the purple vine. It comes with the same cannister backpack, 3 purple vine spores, 1 large purple vine, removeable pistol, swappable battle-damaged and regular heads, swappable damaged & regular chest plates. No alternate weapon arms, but he does include a submachine gun. Paint ops on the battle damaged head weren't that impressive, just a sloppy dry-brushing of red down inside. The swappable chest plates sounds cool in concept, aside from I can't get enough grip at the edges of the damaged one to pop it out!

Dr. Minderbender - OK, I'll admit it...Mindbender is one of the main reasons I bought this set. I consider him one of the essential 2nd tier Cobra characters, right along with Major Bludd, Serpentor, etc. He comes with some kind of cattle-prod gadget, his cape, and little else. The suspenders on mine came warped and I'll have to see if I can straighten them out with some hot water. He also has a holster on his left thigh but nothing goes to it as best I can tell. I'll probably dig up a spare pistol to stuff in there.

Lamprey - An awesome update of the classic design! The figure includes a transparent non-removeable helmet with a face underneath, small backpack with air hoses, a Sten submachine gun, and a removeable pistol. The figure looks great overall, but just like Wetsuit's use of the Torpedo mold, I wished they hadn't used the Snowjob mold for the bodysuit. Other than that, very happy with him!

Night Creeper -I'm not a big fan of over-ninja-izing GI Joe, but the Night Creeper is still a decent design. He comes with a crossbow, backpack, and curved sword (sorry, the proper name escapes me for the moment). One of his niftier features was the inclusion of cleats on the bottom of his feet.

Range-Viper - Lastly, we have an updated Range Viper. This figure includes a machine gun, an ammo belt, a rotary grenade launcher, backpack, removeable pistol in shoulder holster (y'know...like Chuckles SHOULD have had!) and a removeable helmet. The figure is growing on me the more I look at him, and I particularly like the new arm sculpts - nicely done!

Last edited:

One of the oddest things is that the grappling gun is clearly supposed to clip into the backpack - except that it doesn't. Nothing pops into place and it just falls back out.

That is odd... I bought four of these from one of those Chinese dealers on Ebay, and figured it was just a pre-production thing they were working on.

Pretty disappointing, actually. I attached them using those little rubber bands the figures come with, but that's a pretty ghetto way to do it...

hopefully they make more 7 packs of classic figures....I am really tired of all the love ROC is getting from Hasbro and all the fans that take whatever Hasbro shoves up their butt in product

hopefully they make more 7 packs of classic figures....I am really tired of all the love ROC is getting from Hasbro and all the fans that take whatever Hasbro shoves up their butt in product

Yeah, but there's really not a lot left that I'd want from the classic line (particularly the 82-87 years). I had to think about what hasn't been done that I'd still like to see:

Airtight
Big Boa
Cover Girl
Deep Six (classic heavy dive suit but with some real articulation!)
Dial-Tone
Footloose
Frostbite
Iceberg
Jinx
Law & Order
Leatherneck (with correct colors)
Lifeline
Low-Light
Monkeywrench
Sargent Slaughter (possible licensing issue)
Sci-Fi
Steel Brigade generic (this one's easy...the ROC helmet with Airborne's body! Do it Hasbro! :rock )
Techno-Viper
Zandar
Zarana
Thrasher

A fantastic list there....so really there is alot more to finish

mine should be here friday. can't wait for ripcord, recondo and outback.

Awesome review Cryoguns! I really should order these but I just don't have the money right now.
Wetsuit - OK, I'm getting a little tired of Hasbro over-using the Torpedo mold :lol It's a good mold, but it's well over used between Torpedo, the Eels, the Cobra frogmen, and a couple others I think. Anyway, still a fair mold and I liked the inclusion of the water scooter (or whatever it's called) and the backpack from the original Wetsuit figure. I might take a closer look at ROC Shipwreck's dive mask and see if it's worth adding.

If Wetsuit's head is the same as Torpedo's head, then it won't work. Although Shipwreck's mask is more accurate, the straps that hold the mask on the head are too wide. You'll have to somehow shorten the straps to make it work, which means cutting them off and either re-gluing them shorter or adding some type of fabric strap to secure them.

Back