Gun collecting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool video. Thanks for posting that, PIX. I would like to see how he did just with iron sights.

nutnfancy spoke of that M1 as a CQB weapon. I don't think it would make a good CQB weapon under any circumstances. It seems to me that weapon is made for mid-range, stationary fighting though I know that way back when, they did have to use them during the assault...but that was men were really manly.:)

On second thought...it would make for a great CQB weapon from outside the building shooting in to it through the walls. That'd work!:)

TurdF - Looks like the weight of the gun is a possible reason your uncle didn't get a tight group. But just one possibility. nutnfancy was using support. Offhand is the big test.

Whether or not I decide to buy one, I really hope I get a chance to shoot one.

That is possible. If it were me, I would just buy a reg 14, I find them to be cooler. The socom is really coo looking though.

Just one wall of my favorite gun store Hoover tactical. This place in massive.
view.php

I never hear anything bad about the kimbers beyond mild complaining about the price. But most people who I have heard do that eventually say it is worth it.

Got pics?

Kimbers get a bad rap on the net, (so I've heard...I make it a point to stay away from gun/tactical forums) which I think is more to do with you have a lot of "experts" that read something and then recite it as gospel than actual fact.

I owned a Kimber Custom 2 5" that ran flawlessly, despite hard use and high round count. In my experience, the best (most reliable) 1911s to get are the full-size, and the Commanders are supposed to be hot ____ but I've never personally used one long enough to make a judgement.

With that said, never thought I'd find a carry .45 that I liked better than the 1911.....until the HK45 came out LOL.

i also have a 22" Loaded model that's dang heavy too. i swear these rifles are built like tanks. a better compromise would be the 18" Scout. it has a nice forward mount for a red dot and the overall feel for it is just perfect.

The Scout is the other model I was considering getting, but realistically I don't ever see myself shooting more than 200-300 yards with the rifle. It might not sound manly or anything, but there aren't any local ranges with more than 100 yards, and the closest one that is 200 yards is about 45 minutes away just across the Alabama border.

My main requirement in a rifle is reliability followed with accuracy. This way if the shot groups are crappy I know it's because of me and not the rifle.

I never hear anything bad about the kimbers beyond mild complaining about the price. But most people who I have heard do that eventually say it is worth it.

Got pics?

I've heard the same things. I was going to pick up the Ruger SR1911 but I got tired of waiting for it and this one was in the same price range.

12b70a22.jpg

I've fired a couple Kimbers in the past, and I didn't see what some of the hatred is about these guns. I thought it was a smooth and accurate firing handgun, but then again I'm not an expert so what do I know.

I've fired a couple Kimbers in the past, and I didn't see what some of the hatred is about these guns. I thought it was a smooth and accurate firing handgun, but then again I'm not an expert so what do I know.

I did a little research on this anti-Kimber mind set and it seems to be more with the Series II as it has more parts that can malfunction. And a few owners have returned their Kimbers for adjustments. Some people just hate the firing pin safety block, it also requires the gun to be disassembled a little differently, and external extractors on the Series II. The other issue is quality control, many feel it has dropped. I bought mine 14 years ago and have never had a problem with it. Happy with the Series I.

Last edited:
Dont know why, but ive never been interested or enthusiastic about 1911's.

I just looked up a little of the Kimber criticism. I had never really heard much of that before now. But it is still relatively mild criticism. Those 1911s you two have, Toylion and Meatgoat, are very nice-looking guns.

I am looking in to a colt first, but that is because of the history as much as anything. Kimber is gonna be close behind that.

Dont know why, but ive never been interested or enthusiastic about 1911's.

When you pick up your USP check out the TRP, OGC has the entire line up of SA 1911, just see how you like te feel of it. Btw, did you try out the silhouette shooting range at kokohead? I wanna check it out, I wanna know how close and far the targets are set.

When you pick up your USP check out the TRP, OGC has the entire line up of SA 1911, just see how you like te feel of it. Btw, did you try out the silhouette shooting range at kokohead? I wanna check it out, I wanna know how close and far the targets are set.

yep i went to the silhouette side the other week on a saturday. took my usp 45 and glock 19. it's pretty tough man...the nearest steel plates are 25 yards out and the furthest are about 75 i think. i wish we had targets at like 15 yards or something. shooting a 6" target at 25 yards isnt too easy for me at the moment.

yep i went to the silhouette side the other week on a saturday. took my usp 45 and glock 19. it's pretty tough man...the nearest steel plates are 25 yards out and the furthest are about 75 i think. i wish we had targets at like 15 yards or something. shooting a 6" target at 25 yards isnt too easy for me at the moment.

Nice, you already got your USP in hand? Cool. Is there a certain time of the day it's not busy? $5 only, right? So which do you like better? HK45 or USP45?

Nice, you already got your USP in hand? Cool. Is there a certain time of the day it's not busy? $5 only, right? So which do you like better? HK45 or USP45?

Im not too sure when it is busy, but while i was there at around 1pm on a saturday i didnt have to wait to get a spot. i over heard some guys talking about sundays being crazy at kokohead in general though, so you might want to avoid sundays. And yep, $5 per person to shoot there. You just pay when you sign in.

I have my HK45 and USP45 in hand...I get to pick up my USPc stainless 9mm next friday! USP 45 has always been a favorite of mine so I like it just a little bit over the HK45. Plus the USP is already battle proven and all that good stuff.

Anyone here knowledgeable with AKs? I think I want to pick one up in the near future....What is a good quality AK company and model to buy?

Back