Hot Toys Announce Batman Returns License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh it probably depends largely on the complexity of what goes into making the figure. Zod is pretty bare bones but the suit was probably also pretty hard to develop especially considering it''ll likely be the only character to use it. In that case I can see why $240 is being asked.

Yeah I was surprised when Zod wasn't pushing 300.

I'm just hoping for a DX Returns Keaton or an Arkham Bats.

But a Returns DX would be 275 ish at least, but 300 isn't out of the question after DX 11 going for 275 last spring.

Zod's costume is VISUALLY OVERWHELMING, but if you look at it closely, there's nothing really to go under "development". Those are sculpted plates, intricately designed, yes, but no different to Predator armors that are sculpted and worn over the base body. No engineering required. What requires development including engineering and serious sculpting are the Endoskeletons: T600, T700/T800; Iron Monger and some of the Iron Man figures. Propulsion Test Tony stark was $270 and you've got a lot on it, including armored legs and arms, a well-engineered Dum-E, a table, a huge diorama base. Tony's got a newly developed base body too. And oh, the LED lights on his chest and both arms.

Truth is TIME is one of the few factors-slash-excuse that Hot Toys use to raise their prices. If Propulsion Test Iron Man came out today it would be $300. DX07 Luke would have been close to $400. This is why despite the delays I'm happy both QS001 Batman and 1989 Batmobile came out for Pre-Order more than a year ago. If it went live last December for Release this month, they could have been at least $30 more expensive.

Let's wait and see. I hope I'd be wrong, but I won't be surprised if Batman Returns DX line would cost at least $280. Take note, DX14 mime Joker only had a SLIGHTLY RESCULPTED HS, recolored shoes, recolored hands, 3 feathers, only new hat and base and it went for $230. Returns Bats would require newly sculpted cowl, boots, and suit; Penguin requires a lot of things newly developed including the base body. Those things already warrant a price hike. Delay it further and HT is like putting interest on top of that base price.

Last edited:
Here's an example of an intricately armored figure. Has a quality base body, 2 bases, 2 swords, one detailed and nicely sculpted mace, REAL METAL HELMET, ARTICULATED FINGERS. Licensed merchandise. $160.

1236104_10153184436910008_1113127677_n.jpg

Hot Toys charge as much because they can, and they charge more as time passes regardless of who the headsculpt is based on, what license it's from, how much accessories it would come with, how complex the costume/armor would be, etc.

Yeah I'd say pushing up against 300 would be no shock to me. I'm getting priced out :(

Zod has terrible value at $240. There's no doubt in my mind that a DX Returns Batman ends up being $275-$299, barebones or not.

Yeah I'd say pushing up against 300 would be no shock to me. I'm getting priced out :(

As do I. I have already passed on Darth Vader and General Grievous being $250 each, but still either of those figures, while not having the Hot Toys logo on its boxes, have more to offer and required more engineering than the $240 General Zod's armor. If it would cost me close to $1000 to get the cat, the bat, and the penguin I might have to work harder or pass on the set completely.

Let's wait and see. I hope I'd be wrong, but I won't be surprised if Batman Returns DX line would cost at least $280. Take note, DX14 mime Joker only had a SLIGHTLY RESCULPTED HS, recolored shoes, recolored hands, 3 feathers, only new hat and base and it went for $230. Returns Bats would require newly sculpted cowl, boots, and suit; Penguin requires a lot of things newly developed including the base body. Those things already warrant a price hike. Delay it further and HT is like putting interest on top of that base price.
Penguin will probably be expensive there's no doubt. He'll need a newly developed body, possibly have rooted hair, and fairly complex costuming. Batman should really be pretty simple. Sure there's going to be some revisions but really Hot Toys can probably largely use the DX09 as a base for a lot of the parts needed to make the figure. Catwoman shouldn't be that bad either I wouldn't think as probably the biggest issue will be the costuming.

Mime Joker is more yes but haven't we also heard in the past that Nicholson charges a lot for his likeness to be used? As far as your comments about Zod I still think he's fairly more complex than you think he is. That type of suit isn't something that's used all the time and while Predator figures use similar plating we haven't seen this figure in person yet so it's hard to judge how much the same it exactly is and Predator's don't have their entire bodies covered in armor like Zod does. I agree that he's expensive but I think it warrants it a bit. They'll likely not use this suit again but probably put as much time into making it as they do for an Iron Man suit.

Last edited:
As far as your comments about Zod I still think he's fairly more complex than you think he is. That type of suit isn't something that's used all the time and while Predator figures use similar plating we haven't seen this figure in person yet so it's hard to judge how much the same it exactly is and Predator's don't have their entire bodies covered in armor like Zod does. I agree that he's expensive but I think it warrants it a bit. They'll likely not use this suit again but probably put as much time into making it as they do for an Iron Man suit.

While this armor would definitely be re-used with little revisions for a possible Celtic and Chopper remakes, Scar pretty much is the Predator that comes fully-armored.

382031_10151166402582344_311822948_n.jpg

He was $235, but he's got a lot of accessories that include some real metal, revised base body, and LED features.

You just have to look at the protos of Zod that his armor, while complex-looking, only required more time to sculpt but no engineering at all. It does not have any pistons that move as the base body moves. Probably layered, that the abdominal plates can respond to crunches, but nothing special to really warrant such a pricetag. If you think otherwise, good for you as the figure would certainly have been an easy purchase for you, while for me I'm still thinking if I should get it or save my $240 and add it to my Returns funding.

I'm not trying to say that the price of Zod is cheap or anything just that I think you're underestimating a bit on what's going into it and seems like you're going off of a lot of assumptions.

Scar is $235. Who else thinks that when Celtic is released it will not be $235 but a little bit more? Why? Answer might be "time". There is no reason to increase price but HT can and will. If we rewind back the finger for this increase of regular MMS figures can be pointed at "The Last Stand Wolverine". He was the first MMS figure to be price over $200. It was a test for HT to see if people would bite to this increase. Unfortunately people did. It is crazy to think that Zod is worth more than Jack Sparrow.

People tend to think pricing just goes up for no reason with any product. These figures go up the same way any other products do. Costs increase so the manufacturer raises their prices as well. These figures are largely made of plastic which is an oil product. Not cheap stuff as we all know and that's just one factor in the cost of doing business. We don't work for Hot Toys or see their books so how are we to really say that they're just cheating us for more money because they can. Now granted is some of it probably because they can and know people will pay for it? Probably so but I don't think that's the sole reason.

I'm not trying to say that the price of Zod is cheap or anything just that I think you're underestimating a bit on what's going into it and seems like you're going off of a lot of assumptions.

:exactly: totally agree. The guy would have a better argument for a character like Coulsen but Zod it's a bit far fetched. The only part of his statement that is accurate is that the price tag is way off. Engineering and r&d wise, it's just as complex as SS Vader and won't need a complete mod to get it looking accurate ;)

If I'm offending you in anyway, I assure you that I have never intended in doing so. As for my assumptions, yes, I am saying things based on what I'm seeing on Zod's protos and from what I see there's nothing that should neither be under or overestimated as it is what it s -- a piece of intricately designed plastic for armor. I have already posted something that could almost equal Zod on that area but is $80 cheaper. It has more accessories, and real metal helmet. Now what else could have warranted an $80 difference apart from the headsculpt based on an actor's license? Probably DC/Warner Bros charge more than New Line Cinema?

Hot Toys charge for reasons only they know. Another thing is that they are now the premiere brand and prestige comes with a price.

:exactly: totally agree. The guy would have a better argument for a character like Coulsen but Zod it's a bit far fetched. The only part of his statement that is accurate is that the price tag is way off. Engineering and r&d wise, it's just as complex as SS Vader and won't need a complete mod to get it looking accurate ;)

Am I that guy? You can call me by handle, bud. It's more polite that way. Also, you didn't see how I compared $240 Zod to $160 licensed Morgul Lord? Morgul Lord's definitely no Coulson.

If I'm offending you in anyway, I assure you that I have never intended in doing so. As for my assumptions, yes, I am saying things based on what I'm seeing on Zod's protos and from what I see there's nothing that should neither be under or overestimated as it is what it s -- a piece of intricately designed plastic for armor. I have already posted something that could almost equal Zod on that area but is $80 cheaper. It has more accessories, and real metal helmet. Now what else could have warranted an $80 difference apart from the headsculpt based on an actor's license? Probably DC/Warner Bros charge more than New Line Cinema?

Hot Toys charge for reasons only they know. Another thing is that they are now the premiere brand and prestige comes with a price.
No you aren't offending in any way it's all cool. I just get tired of seeing people ragging on pricing and thinking they know everything and that Hot Toys is just doing it for no reason I guess. Like I mentioned just a page back their costs go up just like anything so their prices go up. It's natural business sense. None of us work for them obviously but real world experience with anything should tell people that most products go up in price and not down. Especially for luxury items like these. Not to mention this is Superman which is a huge name franchise and I'm guessing probably carries a hefty licensing price. Not only that but factor in things like securing the rights for actor likenesses and it's easy to see why these get expensive.

No you aren't offending in any way it's all cool. I just get tired of seeing people ragging on pricing and thinking they know everything and that Hot Toys is just doing it for no reason I guess. Like I mentioned just a page back their costs go up just like anything so their prices go up. It's natural business sense. None of us work for them obviously but real world experience with anything should tell people that most products go up in price and not down. Especially for luxury items like these. Not to mention this is Superman which is a huge name franchise and I'm guessing probably carries a hefty licensing price. Not only that but factor in things like securing the rights for actor likenesses and it's easy to see why these get expensive.

Let's wait and see. Like I said from the very beginning, I'd be happy to be wrong if the delays on the release of DX Batman Returns set won't give HT an excuse to charge more than they should.

Hot Toys prices is like Neca increasing figures to $30 to $35. This is a very bad example but just wanted to provide a "visual" as how HT products is not fitting the price. Neca knows that they are out of business charging $30 a figure. We should start sending that message to HT's. Again GI Joe Roadblock should not be $220.

Truth is TIME is one of the few factors-slash-excuse that Hot Toys use to raise their prices. If Propulsion Test Iron Man came out today it would be $300. DX07 Luke would have been close to $400. This is why despite the delays I'm happy both QS001 Batman and 1989 Batmobile came out for Pre-Order more than a year ago. If it went live last December for Release this month, they could have been at least $30 more expensive.

Hot Toys charge as much because they can, and they charge more as time passes regardless of who the headsculpt is based on, what license it's from, how much accessories it would come with, how complex the costume/armor would be, etc.

:goodpost: This guy gets it.

Penguin will probably be expensive there's no doubt. He'll need a newly developed body, possibly have rooted hair, and fairly complex costuming.

-Penguin's hair isn't so crazy. If Ledger Joker's hair can be plastic, no reason Penguin's can't. It might be a bit longer, but it's all restricted to the back and wouldn't affect articulation (unlike Selina Kyle's, for instance).

-His costume is also not really any more complex than any of the tailored costumes on Hot Toys figures.

People tend to think pricing just goes up for no reason with any product. These figures go up the same way any other products do. Costs increase so the manufacturer raises their prices as well.

The increase in price has been at a rate that has not matched the increase in costs of production with respect to plastic and oil. That is how we know that Hot Toys' price increases have been largely due to their desire to increase profit margins.

Back